Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery motor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

So here are side pics of the tranny. Can I say that here? Don't want to step on anyone's high heels. Also the motor off the housing
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Is the part under the intake part of what used to be the fuel injection.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Yes
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

In order to maintain decorum and political correctness, perhaps we should hereby limit terminology in these cases to "transmission", or "gearbox".
Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Ever determine what that breaker bar setup was for?
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

I believe it was some kind of steering wheel lock.
Finally had some time to get back to the rail. Redone some gas line. Adjusted the carb. Add a little processed dead animal matter "gas" . Switch it to run. Hit the starter and she be running.
Next we need to go through the brakes and get them operational. Once we get the brakes done then it's time to take it to the farm and drive it around. Any thing I need to be thinking about before we drive it
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Is this a type 3 full auto trans? Never seen a rear torsion setup like this on an autostick...

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Yeah, full auto. Although I prefer manual off road, the autos were surprisingly durable. There is something to be said about planetary gear sets.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

So let me test the waters here. When it comes to transmissions manuals the best. Auto stick the worst and full auto is ok. Is it good enough for around town and playing around nothing serious.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Oh sure, the auto will be just fine for that.

The reason nobody likes the auto stick is because it is just a manual transmission that clutches itself via a vacuum diaphragm and intake manifold vacuum each time you let off the throttle. Much better to be able to control the clutch yourself independent of throttle. Besides, it only works well with the stock camshaft, or a mild one at best due to the need for high intake manifold vacuum at idle. More aggressive cams tend to lack a stable high vacuum signal at idle, the the vacuum actuated clutch, well, you can guess how well that works.

Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

In taking this project to a type 1 what do I need to be looking for. Year model? HP? I found this on a Google search

Scat VW 25091-1: Scat VW Fan Shrouds
$64.99
Summit Racing

Is there other parts I will need as well
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Fan shroud, upper cylinder tins, lower cylinder air deflectors, generator/alternator stand, generator/alternator, crank pulley, belt, fan, new intake manifolds, etc.

Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

On the fan should.
Any particular kind. Does chrome cause any issues with heat retention ?

On the gen/alter is it a special one to drive the fan?

On the intake do I need the preheat tubes. I live in NC and it will not be run much in the cold weather say below 50
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Twoguys wrote:
On the fan should.
Any particular kind. Does chrome cause any issues with heat retention ?

On the gen/alter is it a special one to drive the fan?

On the intake do I need the preheat tubes. I live in NC and it will not be run much in the cold weather say below 50

Buy a stock style shroud if possible. The aftermarket ones are just empty shells that the air is pushed around in side with no direction. The stock shrouds have vanes inside that direct the air in the correct locations for max cooling.

The alternator/generator rives the cooling fan, and you need to make sure you have the correct width fan to match up with your shroud. There is a narrow and a wide version to do with the doghouse vs non-doghouse shroud.

Be advised the oil pressure sensor on a type 3 is installed on the oil cooler. You can use the same cooler for a type one and a type 3, but you will need to either block off the oil pressure sensor port on the cooler, or clearance the fan shroud to clear the sensor.

The oil fill tube on the type 3 will need to be blocked off as well, and you need the correct shorter type 1 dipstick.
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

I greatly appreciate all of the input. I found a guy not to Far away that rebuilds VWs. He's going thru his stash pile to see what he has. This may end up being a one stop shopping trip. Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: