Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

Changing out the fuel lines in new to me 1978 2.0L with FI. As I was doing the line coming out of the fuel tank (supply line that connects to Hardline that then crosses over to driver side and goes to filter) to my surprise when I pulled off the old hose a little (brass?) wire came popping out from the fuel tank line. Almost like a little end of a bent paperclip.
Just curious what this wire is and what it's used for? I'm guessing it's related to the sending unit ? Why does it go all the way into the short hard line out of the tank?
Photo of wire in question below stixking out where old fuel line has been detached.

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)

Last edited by BoltonFTW on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

That's not right. Must be some kind of tank debris that found its way into the line.

Pull it out, and generally clean up down there. Looks like a rat's nest, literally.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

It is to keep that piece of elusive plastic that is floating around in the tank from blocking the outlet, it needs stick up into the tank a bit in order to work. One of the better hacks out there.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

Stuffing a wire up the tank outlet can help prevent the broken off birds beak or other debris from blocking the end of the tube in the tank, bet there's all sorts of crap in the tank.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That's not right. Must be some kind of tank debris that found its way into the line.

Pull it out, and generally clean up down there. Looks like a rat's nest, literally.

Thanks.

I did give it a bit of a tug by hand and it seemed to have resistance on it so I wasn't sure if it was connected to something or if its just lodged in there pretty good.

Wtf could this be? remnants of an old sender? The bus does have an access hole cut over the top of the tank so I'm pretty sure all that was replaced at one point.

And yes, in general a lot of cleanup underneath this vehicle is in order. Taking care of the lines was first on my list though so I can feel comfortable at least driving it...

I pulled off some very old looking fuel line clamps during the process.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Stuffing a wire up the tank outlet can help prevent the broken off birds beak or other debris from blocking the end of the tube in the tank, bet there's all sorts of crap in the tank.

Aha
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

Ooh - nice fuel clamp! Save that -- it is OG, and they are getting hard to find.

TIL that people will stick wires up the lines into the tank as a hack in order to keep junk in the tank from fouling the line. Good idea! So, leave it be, I guess, but you might look inside your tank some day to see what is in there besides fuel.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Ooh - nice fuel clamp! Save that -- it is OG, and they are getting hard to find.

TIL that people will stick wires up the lines into the tank as a hack in order to keep junk in the tank from fouling the line. Good idea! So, leave it be, I guess, but you might look inside your tank some day to see what is in there besides fuel.

vw people. I love some of the shit that gets the "Ooh"s a frickin fuel clamp.
(I know this stuff is just getting rarer, just tickles my funny bone)
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

alman72, yea, those hose clamps are better than most stuff we can get now. They don't cut into the fuel hose as much as others, especially the standard hose clamp available everywhere. And, it isn't rusty! And it is German!
I have a little stash of those to use on my projects. They just work better.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

The rounded edges and hardware quality are the difference

You can get these in ABA brand today. Of course

Anything is better than the drugstore “SS” clamps from overseas, even a ziptie
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
alman72, yea, those hose clamps are better than most stuff we can get now. They don't cut into the fuel hose as much as others, especially the standard hose clamp available everywhere. And, it isn't rusty! And it is German!
I have a little stash of those to use on my projects. They just work better.

If you take a few minutes to actually look for the correct style clamp you can find them pretty quick. My local industrial hose supply has them in plated and Stainless from 2 different manufacturers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the wire coming out of fuel tank supply line Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

vw people. I love some of the shit that gets the "Ooh"s a frickin fuel clamp.
(I know this stuff is just getting rarer, just tickles my funny bone)

It’s not just VW people. Things like that separate the men from the boys in the restoration world. Ever see two “seemingly alike” vehicle’s sell, but one brings 2-3 times the money? Brass tack details like logo’d fuel line clamps, and headmark correct bolts are usually why. I would say the Corvette crowd are the biggest geeks when it comes to stuff like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: