Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

german 50th birthday meet
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I am thinking of taking my 74 to Germany next year. Anyone else going to https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/index.php

August 01, 2019 - August 04, 2019 - 181becomes50
Vöhl-Herzberg, Germany Facebook Twitter

The world’s biggest VW Kübel birthday party!

On 1 August 2019 the VW Kübel turns 50 years old!

We want to celebrate this birthday with a countless number of VW Kübel in the centre of Germany. In 2009 we have had already a great party when the VW Kübel became 40 even with a world record attempt. Therefore we’ve had visitors from 9 different countries. Under the slogan “181 becomes 50” the upcoming birthday party will take place from August 1 to 4, 2019 at the campsiteTeichmann in Vöhl-Herzhausen (postcode 34516). Zum Träumen 1a, D-34516 Vöhl-Herzberg, Germany 34516
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Has anyone shipped their Thing to Europe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I did when I was in the Army being transferred over there. It was 1981, and I shipped it back to NY in 1986 after restoring it while there.
Shipped it from NYC to Bremerhaven at my expense ($600 at that time), shipped the family car from Bayonne, NJ to Bremerhaven at government expense.
Shipped the same 2 cars back from Bremerhaven to MOTBY at government expense.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I've sold cars to guys in Germany before...lots of red tape for them to get them in the country. May be different to just bring one in for a little bit, maybe not.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Sam, it looks like you are going to want to ship your car to Bremerhaven (about a 3 hour drive North of the event). The cheapest quote I could find was $1,300 from California (SF area) to Bremerhaven. You have to leave the car with the shipper for 10 days to process the export documentation and they estimate it takes 30 days to ship. The estimate gave a total of 45 days in transit. I hope this helps as a start, but I would check on temporary registration and insurance requirements. I did a few searches in this area and most of the US based threads suggested talking to the shipper and to your local AAA. Cool

https://www.wcshipping.com/germany
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

http://newsroom.vw.com/community/going-the-extra-4000-miles-to-woerthersee/

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: german 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

My plan, is to drive to the east coast and my e take the boat across the pond with my Thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: