Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micropassatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread-revival! Has anybody installed a set of these? Got pics?
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some time to try out the position of the light.

I had to share some pictures as I promised before I drill and make the holes into the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topaz. wrote:
I got some time to try out the position of the light.

I had to share some pictures as I promised before I drill and make the holes into the body.

So, which position have you chosen?

My initial choice, would be half-way down the window; roughly the average of your positions 2 & 3.

One wants the side-repeater indicators, to be as visible as possible to pedestrians, cyclists and motor cyclists, plus drivers of cars, MPVs, vans and lorries, etc, but positioned so that the lamp unit is as least susceptible as possible, to damage from passing pedestrians and cyclists. I suspect that Position Nos. 3 & 4, would probably be the most susceptible to damage.

The "interesting" part, is threading the wiring (brown and black/green or black/white cable, inside the hollow A-pillars and/or B-pillars, from under the dashboard or roof area.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay I was out of town.

Just a bit lower than position 2 is where I installed the side blinkers.

The route just for two positive + ones left from each side column, then at the top and down through the side ones.

The ground is right there by one of the mounting screws.

The headliner was partially removed over the doors and an electricians cable puller was used.

Since I was there other lines also got through the top, for roof rack lighting and solar panel.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topaz. wrote:
Sorry for the delay I was out of town.

Just a bit lower than position 2 is where I installed the side blinkers.

The route just for two positive + ones left from each side column, then at the top and down through the side ones.

The ground is right there by one of the mounting screws.

The headliner was partially removed over the doors and an electricians cable puller was used.

Since I was there other lines also got through the top, for roof rack lighting and solar panel.

That looks quite reasonable.

Did you experience an problems associated with vertical curvature of the B-pillar?

From where did you purchase the direction-indicator side-repeater lamps?

I don't possess an electricians' cable puller, so I use helically-wound flexible, net-curtain wire for such projects.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to find my way through this point by using a twist bit, I trully didnt want to take all headliner apart this time.

I got them from CSP however ebay and other ventors have them too.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation Reply with quote

Resurrecting this old but good thread, since I have new information.

People were asking for installs of these side marker lights. I recently installed these early style lights on my 1978 double cab, on the B-pillar below the belt line:

Also, folks were asking about where to obtain them. I got this from a shop in Germany.

I also obtained several of the later model ones, so that I could redistribute them AT COST here in the US. These are for sale in my ads (for as long as they last).
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation Reply with quote

In recent months, I have come across a few listings for these on German E-bay.

Hella direction-indicator, B-pillar side-repeater lamp

Hella 2BA 001 227-211 B-post turn-signal repeater lamps

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Resurrecting this old but good thread, since I have new information.

People were asking for installs of these side marker lights. I recently installed these early style lights on my 1978 double cab, on the B-pillar below the belt line:

Also, folks were asking about where to obtain them. I got this from a shop in Germany.

I also obtained several of the later model ones, so that I could redistribute them AT COST here in the US. These are for sale in my ads (for as long as they last).

can the top screw get another turn? The gap between body and the base is concerning. Is it just the curvature of the bus making this difficult?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation Reply with quote

I expect I can tighten that up a bit.

Nigel - it looks like the side markers that you have pictures of show the early (original) style, with the darker orange and chromed base, and the later style (which I found) that are all black plastic with bright orange lenses. The later ones that I found were Hella, made in India. I bought about a dozen pairs of them from Germany, and fitted them with amber LEDs.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I expect I can tighten that up a bit.

Nigel - it looks like the side markers that you have pictures of show the early (original) style, with the darker orange and chromed base, and the later style (which I found) that are all black plastic with bright orange lenses. The later ones that I found were Hella, made in India. I bought about a dozen pairs of them from Germany, and fitted them with amber LEDs.

Here's another picture of one (Hella part No. 2BA 001 227 011) that I gleaned from a Swedish automotive mail-order catalogue, dated 1982

Sometime during the mid-1990s, my Swedish friend bought some of the modern ones (Hella part No. 2BA 001 227-211) for me, at his local car accessory shop in Sweden. I believe they were made in Germany or Scandinavia. The accompanying instruction leaflet is in German.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: