Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I added heat to my dune buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

I bought some 2inch reducers from the pipe section at the hardware store and some 1 1/2 inch hose.the reducers fit over the 2.4 inch heater box outlets because the pipe measurements are different.dont ask me why.but they fit great.my top is almost done and I wanted some heat!!...I ended up with 122 degree heat coming out of tube behind drivers seat!(3 and 4 cylinder).obviously they run hotter.I have 105 degree heat coming out tube behind passenger seat.I used a 2 inch hole saw on my 3 inch lift(my lift is plastic trex composite).I didn't have to cut my body.I will pipe it into some sort of window defog also.It was 39 degrees out yesterday and I had a tarp over my buggys unfinished top.i was sweltering in my buggy.lol.Next is to build the "firewall" so I don't have air coming in under the dash....Sean
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

btw,these are thick rubber reducers guys not plastic.Its also a thick heavy vinylish rubber hose.Incase anyone wanted to know.thanx...Sean...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

I also wanted to add that I only let the buggy idle for about 20mins when I took temp readings.i assume it would get even hotter once I started driving it.I hadn't started my buggy in a week and just let it idle for about 20 mins when I took readings.So it was a pretty cold motor.I used a meat thermometer laying in the tube on inside of buggy and a heat gun aimed at tube in buggy.both came up with the same numbers.pleasantly surprised.Not a lot of metal channels to rob the heat.......Sean...
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

Pretty "hot" idea
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

lol....
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

Interesting concept. I want to see how long those rubber pieces hold up after an hour or so of highway driving. Those boxes themselves get pretty hot...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

Letterman7 ,I thought about that.I figured they are ALOT thicker and stronger than the crappy 1/16th thin corrugated plastic tubes that were shipped to me for a stock vw beetle.The old oem tubes if I am not mistaken are rubber also and the new tubes some companys r selling are 1/16th inch (very thin) corrugated plastic.So I figured I would give it a try.At 6 bucks apiece I cant go wrong if they don't last.I will keep u posted.next week I will be making a 60 mile trip.And I will be running it around town all day long...We will see...Sean
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

I did that as well, but used metal exhaust tubing along the floor inside and up to defrost ducts I built into the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

Will be awesome if it works. I would check the condition of those periodically. I have repaired the heat in an MG kit car ad used the aluminum fresh air hose and its has held up for several years with no issue. There are also various sizes of metal flex hose at places like Lowes.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

Is using PVC hose OK for air breathing? How's it smell when it gets hot? Might be better getting something rated for automotive heat duct use? Dorman has flexible defroster hose available, #96004 2.5". IIRC, the OEM flexible heater hoses used a silicone "sleeve" between the plastic outer duct and metal outlet on the heater box, and I think they had some kind of internal insulation too? - been too long.
Jeff
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I added heat to my dune buggy Reply with quote

so far just running around town its been nice warm heat on the feet.We havnt smelled anything melting and I been checking them constantly.My doors are almost done for my soft top,so I guess that will be the real test.I will take it for a nice long ride when the doors are done.If I have any melting,or smells, I will report it to u guys.I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.I am just trying it out.I couldn't find the correct "car" hoses at the time I did it.thanks for the info incase I need proper heater hoses..I also never planned on taking it on any major highways in the winter.this was just for a few cruises around town during milder winter temps...I will keep an eye on it and report back...thanx Sean....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: