Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Restored the windshield wiper assembly for my 66 Bahama Blue project car. Disassembled it a while back (after taking LOTS of photos so I'd remember how to put it back together!!) and then ordered some small replacement parts from Wolfsburg West: nylon bushings, some tiny c-clips, rubber grommets, etc. I soaked the parts (except for the motor, of course) in a vinegar / water solution for a couple of days to remove the rust; then wire-brushed them clean; primed them and then painted with semi-gloss Rustoleum black spraycan paint. The re-assembly went fairly smooth (thanks to the reference pics!!) ...only problem was with the 4 nylon bushings: they were VERY tight on the posts, so once I had pressed them into the connecting arms, I had to ream them out with an electric drill and small bit to get them to fit on the pivot mounting posts. I figured if they were too tight it would put undue strain on the 52 year old wiper motor. Now I see what guys charge so much for reconditioned assemblies: all told it took me about 5 hours to complete the work, plus parts costs (not including paint drying time) !!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took it for an 80 mile run today. Perfect fall day
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fall tune up. Oil change, valve adjustment, spark plug gapping and cleaning, belt check, dwell gap adjustment, distributor lube, fuel pump screen check, timing, brake adjustment, silly smile test drive. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fixed my 67 backup lights. It was a bugger to see backing up in my driveway in the morning.

Then to celebrate. I took the car for a drive in the country. Cool

Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got the bug running properly after 4 months (weekends only) of searching for the problem.

Problem was the condenser, but I had installed the replacement incorrectly, replicating the problem with the first one.

Once I got that fixed, I reset the accelerator pump diaphragm, did an oil change, and now I'm all set for a few weeks of driving before it's put away before the snow.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took my 59 and my beautiful wife out for lunch at DQ and a short drive. Gave the car its first oil change. Must have all of 50 miles on it now!!
BTW what is the easiest way to drain the oil from fan shroud mounted Fram filter on my Okrasa build)
Bruce
Oct 58 Capri Blue sunroof

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fjar226
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Did a brake job on all 4 wheels ,,changed out the wheel bearing on the front spindles .... things still mto do is install wiper assy, drop the ass 2 inches ,buy and install exhaust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

After getting 'er running last weekend, this week I had a starter system failure. Currently in the process of sorting it out.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I gave it new front wheel bearings and grease seals. The weird thing is the driver side is popping my dust cap off. When I removed the drum my grease cap was off and the bearing was stuck on the spindle. I guess I better smooth that out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark.P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I've finished biulding a third cave so I can start my vert resto project

Cave one now houses my 66 spit screen camper ( Gerry )

cave two & three now houses the new project 66 vert that need full resto

OOOOO and by the way this is my first ever post on here ... so hello everyone

IMG_1252.JPG
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Alternator issues were giving me a headache, so instead of trying to sort out the integrated regulator I scrapped that and went back to a generator. All sorted and ready to take on the winter. Also, all lights with the exception of the headlights are now LED... HUGE improvement. For anyone thinking about that upgrade, they sell DOT-style flashers that are actually tiny compys for use with LED turn signal lamps. WAY better than wiring in resistors to prevent hyper-flash...
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
Alternator issues were giving me a headache, so instead of trying to sort out the integrated regulator I scrapped that and went back to a generator. All sorted and ready to take on the winter. Also, all lights with the exception of the headlights are now LED... HUGE improvement. For anyone thinking about that upgrade, they sell DOT-style flashers that are actually tiny compys for use with LED turn signal lamps. WAY better than wiring in resistors to prevent hyper-flash...

Interesting info, but not very helpful. You need to include lots of details (brand names, sources, etc.). ...just saying....
BarnFine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Took my 59 and my beautiful wife out for lunch at DQ and a short drive. Gave the car its first oil change. Must have all of 50 miles on it now!!
BTW what is the easiest way to drain the oil from fan shroud mounted Fram filter on my Okrasa build)
Bruce
Oct 58 Capri Blue sunroof
-snip-

Really nice 59 ragtop, excellent work. As for the oil filter question, one method I use for draining oil without making a mess is fashion a drain or funnel out of the side of a cardboard box, it's really easy to fashion and bend how you want it. Then cover and glue down plastic wrap so it's easy to wipe off and reuse.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Not mine, but a buddy’s, learned how to drive stick in a ‘67.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
likestoparty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I flat-dragged my '60 from Seattle to Dallas... Behind an '81 El Camino. This month is our 20th anniversary together, me and the Beetle. The Beetle did great, it is a previous veteran of a DC-to-Seattle crossing 7 years ago under its own power with zero breakdowns.

I made the towing lights the night before we left out of two Tupperware containers, a Harbor Freight trailer harness, a spare set of pre-62 Beetle tail light assemblies, and two Barbie doll heads as rubber bumpers on the roof.

The El Camino is actually a rarer GMC version badged as a Cabellero with the Amarillo package. I replaced the dumb standard shocks it came with with factory-correct air shocks that really helped with stability back there. My girlfriend and I traded her Honda Civic for it, and that started a murderous 3 months of me suddenly becoming an American car restorer. The right lower ball joint failed on us on our way home from acquiring it, 5 miles into owning it! You haven't lived until you find yourself suddenly grinding a layer of asphalt off of an elevated downtown Seattle waterfront viaduct at 50mph. I fixed that, only to find it devoid of coolant with breaches in both head gaskets. I tore the engine down and fixed THAT myself, too. Helluva introduction to water-cooled cars, man.

Anyway, there's too many little stories to tell here about the 5-day, 2700 mile journey to spin here now, but the most unbelievable was randomly running into my pals in the NYC ska band The Slackers from my days in The Pietasters, in the middle of NOWHERE California!

We made it! Only one pit-stop to replace a worn-out center link in the steering that made navigating through Tacoma, WA hair-raising.

And then I flew back to Seattle 3 days later to make the same trip in our 1980 Dodge TranStar RV, converted into a moving van filled with our belongings. 5400 miles of sheer terror this month!
aam76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Removed more of the old primer to reveal OG paint. Paprika red 1960 Vert.

a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fixed my driving/fog lights and replaced bulbs with LEDs
kevzo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Refurbished the windshield washer switch on my 66
Krink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Bought it.

1962 Beryl Green. Needs some TLC and is going to get it. Very Happy

TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I put a Bosch Blue Coil and an EMPI distributor with centrifical advance and electronic ignition in this 1972 dual port 1600 and made sure it was working correctly

Then pulled the engine ...

And put it in my '62 Baja Ragtop

I've got dual carbs for it but am waiting for my headers/exhaust to show up before installing them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 285 of 317

Jump to: