Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car starts but quickly stalls out
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I have gone through all the vac lines and taken the boot off. I don't see any evidence of leaks?

I then took the distributor cap off and used a hand vac to advance. It does move but it taken close to 10 pounds of vac. I did do my best to clean it up but it's still 10 pounds of vac to move it. I'm not sure what it should be. I also tried to simply suck on the line to get movement and that's not happening.

I'm wondering if it's bound and needs more than the system can give it to advance ? I'm definitely not one to throw parts at a problem but it looks like after coupons I could get an 009 distributor without vac for 50 bucks.

Is it worth replacing this one and can I use 009 without vac?

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

You'll really regret installing an 009, contact Wcfvw69, Glenn or Tasb regarding having your DVDA rebuilt, or maybe they have a replacement in stock.

Can you rig a long hose on the fuel pressure gauge so it's visible while driving?(even in a mirror), what's the fuel pressure doing when it craps out?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Ok no 009. I don't even need to ask why. Yes I can rig a long hose up to the gage and have my son watch it from the back seat. Great idea. I will give that a go in the AM and post results.

Thanks
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Well this is a mystery. I put a king hose on the fuel gage and drive the car. As I was accelerating pressure was all over the place. 32 psi and would drop as low 15 psi as I accelerated.

Got back to the garage and did a flow test and it was terrible. Maybe 10 percent of a liter. I then pulled the rear wheel and disconnected the fuel input line where it transitions to flexible.

The flow was about half a liter but the flow was constant. I then connected the line and did another flow test at the cold start valve. I have no idea what happened but the flow was half a liter and this time had consistent flow?

I reconnected and drive it again. Pressure was 32 and dropped to 30. The timing is off and it had some backfires as I decelerated but it ran strong.

I also changed oil and adjusted valves last. Night ?

No idea what happened here but it ran?
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Hi all - The car is running great after allot of work and a rebuild distributor. I did have to pull the fuel tank to replace the sending unit and I now have a gas odor in the car while driving.

I am not seeing any fuel leaks while car is running or after immediately after running. no fuel on the floor after sitting overnight?

Is this a common problem ? I did not have this prior to pulling the tank?

Thanks
John
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

If the rubber boots and sleeves connected to the gas tank were old, they should have been replaced. Rubber around hydrocarbons is good for no more than 10 years. Beyond that it is all a fluke and a prayer. Plus, that gas odor in the cabin is almost always from the hoses at the gas tank!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

That would make a great deal of sense. When I put it back together I got a slight leak as I was putting fuel in. I cranked down on clamps and it stopped but it's the original. Ok time for new ones.

On another note the sending is working but is a quarter of a tank low. I filled the tank completely and it shows three quarters.

Is there any way to adjust ? Certainly better than nothing but I like hints to work correctly.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

johnwiththree wrote:
On another note the sending is working but is a quarter of a tank low. I filled the tank completely and it shows three quarters.

Is there any way to adjust ? Certainly better than nothing but I like hints to work correctly.

I adjust my sending units when installing. There are two stop tabs , bent to limit the float arm movement in both the up and down stroke. I start with a good batterey with a charger on it, during my adjustments. I then connect a ground wire from the body to the fuel sending unit flange. Then let the arm hang and look k at the gauge (use a mirror on the front seat, reflecting the fuel gauge). Bend the lower tab until it reads where you want it to read for empty. Then adjust the tab for full, same way. Assembly everything and before you put any gas into the tank, check the gauge for empty. Fill it up, checking at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tank. Keep pouring in fuel till it is full and check the gauge. You may need to drain and readjust. Sometimes the tab is not enough. You may need to bend the float arm.

Be extremely careful. Gasoline is easily ignited and highly explosive! A spark during these manipulations could kill you, so it is imperative that you are careful and work thoughtfully and cautiously!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I ordered new sleeves and will pull tank when it gets here and adjust sending unit.

Appreciate it and will be extra cautious. Fuel and electronics can be a bad combination.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

johnwiththree wrote:
Thanks so much. I ordered new sleeves and will pull tank when it gets here and adjust sending unit.

Appreciate it and will be extra cautious. Fuel and electronics can be a bad combination.

All sounds good. Just chiming in to insure you also ordered the interior bands as well.?.?

There is also 3mm vapor tubing to change out, if I am not mistaken. Be sure to take care of those, as well!

Good luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I didn't order interior bands. Thanks I will get those going now.
Appreciate it
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

OK on to the next fix. My car is finally running really well (thanks for all the help everyone) and my confidence is growing that I wont end up constantly on the side of the road.

I have not been on the highway yet but have graduated to secondary roads. What I am noticing is the car is pulling to the right.

The easy path is bring it in and get it aligned but why do that if I can learn more about how this car works.

The question would be is that foolish and if not how best to aligned this little racing machine ?????

Thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor here and have a good look at the front brakes and wheel bearings. Get them all nice and working as they should.

Then have a good look at the tires. Are they they any good and are indeed the correct size and running the correct pressures?

If all of that is OK, then take it to a front end alignment shop that can actually do a beetle correctly. Not everyone can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The brakes are new and working as are the tires. The car had been in storage for many years and I replace and reworked most functional parts.

Thanks
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Hoping to get some input on my beetle during acceleration. The car is running really well however in second gear at times I get some hestitatiin.

Just a quick summary:
The car was in storage and after a long battle I was able to get running.
1. Fuel is now right on at a liter per minute
2. Pressure right on at 33 psi
3. Can't find any vacuum leaks after smoke test
4. Distributor just rebuilt and working to spec
5. New coil
6. Timing (with a gun ) has 35 degree at about 2500 rpm
7. Fuel filters clean (I added a second )
8. Sensors are working at start and rom drops after about a minute at idle

Acceleration in first gear is fine with no hestitatiin and third and forth also but second struggles. If I push pedal during the hestitatiin there is additional power.

Big stuff seems solid but there is fine tuning I'm missing.

Thanks
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

johnwiththree wrote:

I'd try 28-30 @ full advance.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
johnwiththree wrote:

I'd try 28-30 @ full advance.

With both hoses removed from the distributor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Oh shit timing was done with hoses on... ok completely missed that. Let's trying doing it right and see what I get.

Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Also, put a wooden golf tee in each hose, so there is no vacuum leak!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Thanks a much use for a tee since I can't seem to hit a fairway these days 😁
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: