Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm a bonehead
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

While building my engine I ruined my straight cut timing gear that goes on the crankshaft. I was wondering if I could just buy that one or do I need to buy the set?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Call your vendor that you purchased the gear set from.
These gear sets are not matched, so it's just a matter of your vendor taking pity on you.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Call your vendor that you purchased the gear set from.
These gear sets are not matched, so it's just a matter of your vendor taking pity on you.

I bought it online about 5 months ago...

They allowed me to do a warranty claim
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

So how did you manage to mangle the gear in the first place?

How big was the sledgehammer you used? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

I bet he cracked it ,,,,like i did once,,, Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
So how did you manage to mangle the gear in the first place?

How big was the sledgehammer you used? Very Happy

Didn't get to the sledge...

I have built engines in the past, and always said I'll never make this mistake...

i forgot to install the bearing that goes on before the gear. When I went to pull it off with my puller it came off cock eyed and marred up the inner portion of the gear badly, but surprisingly no damage to the crank (which is awesome, it's a new 76mm counterweight $$$$$)... when I get off work I'll send some pics. I was able to swap it out just have to wait until the new one comes to finish the crank
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I bet he cracked it ,,,,like i did once,,, Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

No cracks...but thought I had
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

You get that type of damage from putting it in crooked, not removal. If it went on clean, you will not end up w/ a burr like that.

An easier way to put on a gear is to heat the item. I just use a torch - hold the item with a pair of pliers and just flame the outside few minutes. Just warm it up. NOT BLUE! Then just flop the gear on the nose. It drops down on its own weight. If not, just tap with a drift and it goes on.

For pulling, I use a hydraulic puller. I damaged an old Berg puller so I just use the plate w/ the hydraulic puller. It is clean, strong and pulls it nicely.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

many people justuse a 60-100watt lightbulb, put the gear on it for 5-10 min then it slips on. or a old hot plate.or use the coffie maker to heat it. do beat it on ,dont use a press. it's eazy to effup the spindly crankeshaftem thingy too.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Won't a torch be way cheaper and quicker? And you don't even have to risk being electrocuted. Laughing

Tucker is fancy for sure.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Welcome to the club. As you get older this sort of situation is called "experience". I have a lot of "experience".

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Welcome to the club. As you get older this sort of situation is called "experience". I have a lot of "experience".

I appreciate that...

I beat myself up pretty bad about what I did. Thank you for the encouragement
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

I could see somebody with a torch getting the gear red hot....and then a effed up engine.I have also used heat gun.( witch is my way of doing it.I aint in no hurry like nick. and I may just need my hair dried too. beware when heating the gear or any thing at all it may be hot.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

It is not gonna get hurt if you over-cook it. It is not a hardened part at all.

A minute/s or so with a torch is plenty. A torch is very nice to warm things up in winter. I use it to warm the pistons when I assembling the pin into it in winter builds. Very Happy

I also torch parts a little to dry them up quickly in winter after a wash, if I don't have time to wait around waiting all day to dry up. Works really good...on rocker/valvetrain parts and things.

try it man. Just don't burn down your house.
kwarloc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

i just wrapped my crank in a towel and let it chill in the fridge w/ the soda's & beer for about 30. then i warmed the gears (w/ dinner) in the oven for about 15... dropped right in w/ ease
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

I use a cheap little toaster oven to warm up the gear and some leather gloves. Doesn't take all that much heat and it will drop on easy.

Never thought to use it for pistons. Huh.

Max
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Torch is awesome on pistons in winter. Just get them warm above 70 deg and the pins slide in easy.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Toaster ovens are 20$ at wallmart.
you have no excuse for now getting one. it's cheaper than a torch. A good torch and MAP gas bottle your looking at 50$ min
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead Reply with quote

Can a toaster oven do copper pipes? Very Happy

Or, or thaw out something in the middle of a field?

It is hard to beat a propane torch - one of the best all around tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: