Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle nut turns but it won't screw off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

I either have a stripped passenger side axle nut or the axle stub.

Job One though, is to get the nut off... any ideas?

Is it too hair-brained to take the cotter pin out, drive in reverse slowly, and see if I can get the axle nut to start backing out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

If you drill the nut very carefully to avoid damaging the other bits its in contact with you should then be able to split the hub nut with a sharp cold chisel.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

What's the best way to drill so I split the axle nut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

When you say it won't come off is it turning? They are torqued to 220 ft/lbs about a breaker bar and a 5' pipe, not jacked up until it breaks loose and have someone pushing hard in the brake. You better torque it back to that on reassembly or the brake drum will strip the splines. If the nut is turning and the drum isn't , the drum has stripped.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

Do you have a dremel tool?

If not, go buy one, if you have one chuck in the metal cut off disc and CAREFULLY cut that nut until just shy of the threads and don't cut into the brake drum.

Now take a BFH (Big F-ing Hammer) and a sharp cold chisel.

Set that cold chisel in the slot you just made and give it a solid hard smack with the BFH.

Spin off the nut by hand and proceed.
Fix whatever is damaged.

Dave.

BTW..... the whack from the BFH could damage your rear wheel bearings by Brinneling, keep an eye on them.

It would be good to support the nut from the bottom with a short piece of steel bar, this will protect the bearings from most of the shock.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

The nut does turn right and left. However it doesn't get tighter or looser... it just spins. As I said earlier I can't tell if the nut is stripped or the axle stub. I'll know that when the nut is off.

I have an angle grinder but a Dremel w/a smaller wheel would be easier to handle and be more precise. I certainly don't want to cut into anything else but the nut.

If the axle stub is stripped I plan on getting an M24x1.5 die to chase the threads
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:

If the axle stub is stripped I plan on getting an M24x1.5 die to chase the threads

A thread chaser will do a better job by reforming the threads, that if you insist going that way.

A die will just cut off metal that has been deformed by stripping the threads.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

The axel is hardened not the nut so the nut should be the problem. Check to se if your local FLAPS has a loner nut splitter.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The axel is hardened not the nut so the nut should be the problem. Check to se if your local FLAPS has a loner nut splitter.

Or just a hammer and chisel will do the job. More than likely one does not need to cut all the way thru, just enough to spread the nut.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

Eric&Barb: thats what I was thinking... just enough to get a cold chisel in there and force spread the nut open a bit.

I have extra axle nuts so I hope it'll be he nut that's shot and not the axle stub. Ugh.

Starbucket: there's a difference between a die and thread chaser? Reforming the threads would be preferable.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
Eric&Barb: thats what I was thinking... just enough to get a cold chisel in there and force spread the nut open a bit.

I have extra axle nuts so I hope it'll be he nut that's shot and not the axle stub. Ugh.

Starbucket: there's a difference between a die and thread chaser? Reforming the threads would be preferable.

All you can do is clean out the threads as they should be OK, the nut is softer, that's why I say it's the drum as it is softer too. I would grind the nut down to just above the threads and aim the chisel not down toward the threads but to the left (like you are trying to loosen the nut) as you don't want to chisel into the threads.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/94...ads?Page=2
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

I will again emphasize ...... strongly suggest...... that you put a support under the bottom of the nut to a firm surface before you start beating on it with a BFHammer.

Don't ruin your bearings....... new ones aren't as good as the OG's were.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

I haven't forgotten about what you recommended. Made sense to me.

Gonna get after this problem this weekend. I'll be reporting back.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

Got the axle nut off without too much banging.

Kept the tire/wheel on to hopefully absorb any shocks to the bearing. Especially after djkeev "strong suggestion"!

After using the Dremel to cut into it in a couple of spots I used a cold chisel more as a lever to get the nut to move toward me and then was able to get it to thread and screw off.

Turns out the axle stub needs some thread chasing... got an M24x1.5 rethreading die on order.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

Hopefully there is enough meat left to hold the torque. Sounds as if it was over torqued and now stripped

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

I hope so.

Could I have over torqued it? Was using a 5' long cheater bar + 3/4" breaker bar and 36mm socket... I only weigh 145 lbs.

I'd be curious about the math on this.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I hope so.

Could I have over torqued it? Was using a 5' long cheater bar + 3/4" breaker bar and 36mm socket... I only weigh 145 lbs.

I'd be curious about the math on this

Sounds just like 220ft/lb.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

145 lbs at 4 foot on a 5 foot bar is 580
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle nut turns but it won't screw off Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
145 lbs at 4 foot on a 5 foot bar is 580

I was told there would be no math.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: