Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

I've got a couple of "Web-Ortos" (the Alfa Romeo style) carb that have dual hose barbs for I'm presuming fuel return. Since I don't have a fuel return line in the car and don't really want to add one I'm wanting to remove one of the barbs.

So the question is how to remove a fuel barb from a carb without doing a total hack job while I'm at?

Thanks in advance for your help. Picture added for clarity.

Eric

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

They look pressed in. I suggest a short length of hose and is plugged.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Like Glenn I'd just put a length of hose on it with a plug. That's what I do.
Removing it isn't going to improve your life any, and could be a problem if you aren't able to make a plug to replace it.
I've got one lid, exact same kind, where some goof ball pulled the barb and tapped the hole, and cracked it, and I haven't thought of a way to repair that yet, and maybe that is logical to some people but not me.

If I can't use a hose to plug it, I'd plug the barb itself rather than remove it.
IF I did have to remove because it interfered with something, I'd make a press-in plug to fit the hole, rather than attempt to tap it with pipe thread.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Like Glenn

Thanks Glen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

I only have one N

So, you've got an extra N, which isn't needed, but, it's not hurting anything right? Laughing
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Something like these only fuel resistant...

https://www.3sx.com/rubber-vacuum-caps-various-sizes

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

I never been able to find good quality vacuum caps.
A hose with a ball bearing jammed in it ends up being superior, although it seems wrong.

how to plug a carburetor hole:
Buy some brass, or aluminim rod slightly larger than the hole.
Spin it with a power tool and file it down with a gentle taper until it starts in the hole. Apply loctite and jam it in. Cut off excess. If you have a lathe, use it, but I've been doing that LONG before I had a lathe and I never had one fail. To do that with a barb you'll have to cut off the flared section, but it would be almost zero risk of fail.
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

Wasn't the answer I expected but then that's why I asked before I f@&ked it all up.

e
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Cool. I kinds feel bad for not just telling you how to do it and being difficult.
But there are a lot of ways to skin a cat, you know, in between 'hose with a bolt" and pipe thread, which I feel are better options.

Oprn will probably explain how to pull them out, so I'll plead the fifth.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I never been able to find good quality vacuum caps.
A hose with a ball bearing jammed in it ends up being superior, although it seems wrong.

I usually use a piece of vacuum hose and a wooden golf tee.

The factory vacuum caps on my 1988 Mazda B2200 are still good, but when I changed carbs on that I needed more, but did not try ordering factory ones.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, if this is crazy talk. Could you jam some JB Weld or similar epoxy into it and cover with a vacuum cap for a clean look? Think
Apologies OP. I know you asked about removal.

You might email Tim at Volkzbitz for a better solution.

https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Oprn didn't chime in? interesting
I'll consider that a vote for don't pull.

Anyhow, the way you pull them out is tap the ID of the barb to the closest size and thread in all-thread, then put a tube over that, and a thick washer and nut, tighten the nut, and it pulls it out.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Busy with family and hunting this weekend, sorry!

If it were my carb I would leave it in, clean it up nice and shiny inside the barb, get out my soldering iron and solder it up. That way it is still there for future use by you or some new owner by just drilling it back out. You could make a brass plug like Modoc suggested and solder that in but I suspect the solder would bridge the gap on it's own ok too.

Good choice in carbs by the way, I love mine!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo from, alfa1750 in ebay.

02/76 Beetle sedan
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Fuel Hose Barb on an IDF Carb Reply with quote

That is what mine are like too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: