Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 steering damper
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Shlomi32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Hi all,

My steering damper finished its life....

Since I understand that it is almost impossible to find one, what is our alternative?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Actually there are at least four new ones on Ebay right now.

Ebay search part # 411 425 021 A and later search part #22205. I worded it VW part # 411425021A

The two Boge and Sachs that are for sale for $59.95 are a bit pricey. There is a Cofap in the box for $30 which is a great deal.

There is a red IP brand with teh part # 22205 that is $28. I have two of those and while the build is a little crude...the force level seems the same and at $28 they will function just fine.

That being said....the type 3 unit except for the steel end is the same part. Probably the type 1's as well. I have been meaning to simply buy a brand new type 3 unit and carefully grind one side of the end off until I get close enough to teh shaft to just twist it off. Then take an old type 4 model and cut the shaft off right at the steel mounting end....then drill or grind out the shaft and then crimp onto the new type 3 unit in my garage press...and for good measure...cross pin it.

....and after that.....take a look at this. This works great. Buy a pair of dampers and do the double steering damper mod. Excellent and cheap mod!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656691&highlight

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shlomi32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

I looked ate bay and could not find...

Is super beetle damper will not fit?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Shlomi32 wrote:
I looked ate bay and could not find...

Is super beetle damper will not fit?

No it has a different end.

These are from ebay right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-TYPE-4-SQUA...:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-IV-1971-74-STEERI...:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-TYPE-4-SQUA...:rk:3:pf:0

All are correct and will fit a 411 or 412.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Just got the cofab 1 thanks ray the last link 45 dollars shipped Smile
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

No Problem.

Take one of the Mercedes 123.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
No Problem.

Take one of the Mercedes 123.

Yes, remember that the Merc 123 can be used, what are the modifications neccecary?

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Hello Lars,

I readed on Facebook from Milos.

I never built one in my 411. I have still NOS and NOS Koni.
But people who looking new one's can better take the Mercedes 123 Steering damper. The 411-NOS is nearly 50 years old and more and more expensive. Some are broking within a couple of years. For the Mercedes 123 is still a big aftermarket and that means new one's for much more low prices.

The two people I'll helped with are saying you only must use a longer bolt at one side.

Best Regards,

Ton
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
Hello Lars,

But people who looking new one's can better take the Mercedes 123 Steering damper. The 411-NOS is nearly 50 years old and more and more expensive. Some are broking within a couple of years. For the Mercedes 123 is still a big aftermarket and that means new one's for much more low prices.

The two people I'll helped with are saying you only must use a longer bolt at one side.

Best Regards,

Ton

The red IP brand dampers are new production or at least recent by their date stamp....and are not NOS. However....I am not sure yet about their overall quality.

But I agree. Really old NOS dampers are not ideal.

Really a wide range of dampers from other VWs and other makes of cars will work perfectly.....damping ability wise.....as long as you can make them fit. Usually the diameter and the length are not a problem as long as they are not too long when fully collapsed....as the 411/412 does not even use the full available extended length of its damper.

The rubber bushing and oil reservoir end of a great many dampers will fit 411 and 412 nearly identically.

One thing I will be doing as I get closer to installing mine.....is cutting the factory 411/412 end off of a few of my old dead dampers.....and drilling out the shaft end inside. I may be able to remove it easily with some heating.

I should be able to then take a new damper from another vehicle....and carefully section the swaged on end to be able to crack it off without damaging the shaft. Then I should be able to swage the old end onto the new shaft in my 12 ton press.

When I get to that point I will do a write up with pictures. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
Hello Lars,

Best Regards,

Ton

Thanks Ton!
Also, as the W123 is a much heavier car than the 411/412 (especially in the front), I assume that its steering damper is quite a bit harder which is what I look for.

///Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

The Koni too. Adjustable. Most used, back then, with problem-cars.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
The Koni too. Adjustable. Most used, back then, with problem-cars.

or you can use the double steering damper mod. It works very well. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 411 steering damper Reply with quote

A parts supplier near me has these, NOS. $69.99 CDN, which is pricey.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: