Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I bought my set this morning! Come on guys, step up!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
I bought my set this morning! Come on guys, step up!

I bought a set for my RHD ...I’ll have carpet overmthem untill RHD mats are created.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I plan on installing them this weekend, or at least the bulkhead mat and the rocker pieces. I am still waiting on the sound insulation mats which Luis still needs a few more orders to make it feasible to have them cut. So, get off your duffs an order a set! They really are necessary because the rear mats are too low to hook onto the fittings attached to the piece of metal hanging down from the rear seat support. The car is designed to have an underlying sound mat there of a specified thickness so that piece lies flush and you can attach the rear mat.
From past experience the mats others sold are way to thin to do the job. They might work for the standard cheap ass loop carpet kit, but if you gone this far with your restoration what's another $400 to get it right?

These week mats went to USA, SPAIN, SWEDEN and one on-hold for UK!
Next week more USA, SPAIN & UK plus NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA!
Then more USA & AUSTRALIA plus DENMARK, CANADA & GERMANY!

Braukuche is RIGHT, for the mats to fit right, you need the under-mat set.
No just for the rear mat, the front mats, tunnel and bulkhead mats also are affected if those pieces are missing or are too thin. Check the following pictures

Rear Mat with and without under-mat:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front without and with under-mat:

Under-mat floor mat thickness:

Tunnel mat without and with under-mat:

Do it right! I need you guys to step in! So far I can not run even a small production run for the Sound Absorber set!

Founder Members got an 8 pieces set for $1,257.00, less than $158.00 per piece. A super great deal! The bulkhead by itself is a piece of art worth more that the total! After going trough all the trouble and complexity of making a reliable production line, I know I made a mistake in the price, but I honor my word and every one is getting their set.
If you add the $399 for the Sound Absorber set, it would still be a great price only for the set of mats!

I'm working long hours every day to make a set. Now it's a full time commitment for me. I don't have the time I need to attend my other ventures, loosing potential income. I did not expect to get rich with this project, but I expected to make a little side money to paint my car. Even the small saving I had for that is gone at this point!

And for those of you that have been waiting to buy your set, prices in the store are still a great deal, act now! I will hold those prices until BLACK FRIDAY, after that, prices are going UP!

And as I said before, this may be the last production run!

Hello
When do you ship to France please ?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Got mine today....they look great, Luis!

boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Very nice.
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

These week mats went to USA, SPAIN, SWEDEN and one on-hold for UK!
Next week more USA, SPAIN & UK plus NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA!
Then more USA & AUSTRALIA plus DENMARK, CANADA & GERMANY!

Hello
When do you ship to France please ?[/quote]

Next country after Germany is FRANCE! (your order) Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

These are looking great! Crossing my fingers for later model mats. Wink
oliver550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Encore un peu de patience Michel Very Happy
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Under-Mats Sound Absorber Set

I just got eight orders, so I'm going to order the minimum production batch from the waterjet shop (10 sets).

If you want yours in this batch, please let me know no latter than tomorrow, otherwise, you will have to wait until there are enough orders for the next batch!

Thank you to the members that placed an order!

Luis
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Mine are a bit tattered, but usable. Curious, how much for a set of these Under-Mats Sound Absorber Sets?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Mine are a bit tattered, but usable. Curious, how much for a set of these Under-Mats Sound Absorber Sets?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page: https://lowlightwerks.com/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I got my first-of-three sets on Tuesday but only opened the box yesterday - not that I'm not anxious to get into them, but I'm hosting a big Thanksgiving bash this Saturday and I have to clean up the workshop!

So, I got the box open and have begun installation, but, as I say, it'll have to wait until Sunday. However, I've already ordered an under-layment set (the sound-deadening stuff that goes under the mats), and will place an order for one set for each mat set as soon as cash flow allows.

Happy Ghia-ing! :D

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I have installed my bulkhead mat and heater channel rocker pieces.
I used Weldwood original formula contact cement that Geoff kindly sent me, not the Cal nonflammable junk, and had adhesion issues. It took at least three attempts to get the mats to stick. Scuffing up the backs of the mats seemed to help, but still I Ended up with some non sticking pockets on the wheel wells. I will be curiously to see what others use and if it is more effective.
For now, I would not advise using Weldwood contact cement.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I have installed my bulkhead mat and heater channel rocker pieces.
I used Weldwood original formula contact cement that Geoff kindly sent me, not the Cal nonflammable junk, and had adhesion issues. It took at least three attempts to get the mats to stick. Scuffing up the backs of the mats seemed to help, but still I Ended up with some non sticking pockets on the wheel wells. I will be curiously to see what others use and if it is more effective.
For now, I would not advise using Weldwood contact cement.

How about some professional automotive adhesive that is shot out of a glue pot? Like for installing a vinyl top.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I was planning to use the Weldwood as it’s worked great in the past with carpets but now am looking at options.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I was going to try something like this, though I'm hesitant that it'll support the weight of these bulkhead mats.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-prod...amp;rt=rud
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

If it was me when I do mine, I’d use a glue/adhesive that is removable so if I need to do some work under the mat I don’t destroy it while removing.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I was going to try something like this, though I'm hesitant that it'll support the weight of these bulkhead mats.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-prod...amp;rt=rud

That looks promising. If you use it let us know the results.
If anyone finds a product that works let the rest of us know.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

UPS AND DOWNS
\
Let's start with the DOWNS

Last Tuesday night disaster hit Low Light Werks. When I waked up Wednesday morning and looked at the window, here is what I saw:

The structure collapsed bad

Took me a couple of days to take all down and design a new structure

I needed a design that could be assembled by one pair of hands

By Saturday night the structure was up, with a strong roof to withstand the extreme New England weather

By Sunday it was water tight and ready to function, I tough in starting a set, but I was physically exhausted.

Today FULL PRODUCTION RESUMED!!

I fabricated a complete set:
\

Here is the accumulator with 5 sets to start shipping tomorrow!

Without really planing on it, at this moment there is a set for each color: Brown, Green, Gray, Black (yes, all 8 pieces I made today are for a complete black set!) and a Gray set with Black floor-mats. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

I did nor post anything until now, because I decided to make a post not just with a problem, but with a solution and after making sure a full set was made within the new set-up. The space is tight but functional.

More UPS are that the order for the rolls of material for the Sound Absorbers was placed last week and will be delivered within 10 days at the water-jet facility in Massachusetts! There are a couple of people that wanted to be included in the first batch, but it was too late. Please order your set, for the next batch to be completed soon. I appreciate your support. Thank you to all the members that placed their orders!

Regarding the comments about gluing the bulkhead mat on place, I was hopping that the "good" Weldwood contact cement was a good solution, but it looks is not that the case. Today I ordered the 3M 80 adhesive that Peter suggested. I also ordered a urethane adhesive to make some testing in my car. For the pictures I used a strong double sided tape, that works good for a picture, but is definitely not a permanent installation option.

Another topic to mention, later years floor mats. I have some private messages regarding the possibility to obtain a good set of original mats, to create the master models! That would be the first step, then we need to know how many members commit to get them, so we can prorate the cost to do a production run, and get a price for them. If any of you have a set that can be useful, please let me know. It has to be an original in very good condition. By experience, starting with a poor mat, is just going to make it hard to make a good mold. BTW, I'm asking again, if any of you has a good original passenger floor mat with the pebble pattern in the edges, please let me know. I will be willing to make a new mold for it, as the one that I am using now, comes from a reproduction, and it shows when you see the details.

Tomorrow and Wednesday two new sets are scheduled to be made, Thursday I travel to NY City to my daughters apartment, to spend Thanksgiving with my 3 kids, planning to return home on Friday.

I wish a great Thanksgiving day to all the US members!

Luis
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Doing a good job Luis - Happy Thanksgiving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 51

Jump to: