Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 1975 FI Bay Window. I drove it 100 miles home, it was a great ride, no problem, max speed of 75 MPH, no problem up hills. I filled the tank up, after 100 miles the gas tank was a notch over half of the tank.
I am handy with tools and following instructions, I would like to know in order to dismount the engine and transmission for cleanup, restore:
1- What service manual(s) I should obtain for reference.
2- Is there any video(s) available for step by step instructions.
3- there is a refrigerator, should I fix it, or is it worth the time to fix it.
regards
Cid
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

El_Cid wrote:
I have just purchased a 1975 FI Bay Window. I drove it 100 miles home, it was a great ride, no problem, max speed of 75 MPH, no problem up hills. I filled the tank up, after 100 miles the gas tank was a notch over half of the tank.
I am handy with tools and following instructions, I would like to know in order to dismount the engine and transmission for cleanup, restore:
1- What service manual(s) I should obtain for reference.
2- Is there any video(s) available for step by step instructions.
3- there is a refrigerator, should I fix it, or is it worth the time to fix it.
regards
Cid

If you are new to aircooled VW then buy a copy of Muir's VW Idiot Book and later buy a copy of the Haynes and/or Bentley manual for your year and model.

There are a lot of videos out there but they are not all organized in one spot so searching is required. The Ratwell.com site has the most information that is collected and indexed in one spot.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Here's the best reference I used when removing and refreshing my engine the first time: AirSchooled.com

Where in CA are you? Lots of Samba members around the state who might be able to help you.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

it's running and feels good? Besides pulling the engine to clean, you got any other thoughts? Unless there is a huge need, I might leave it in and drive it.

Lots of internet stuff out there on the L-Jet FI. I have learned alot. BIGGEST thing on the L-JET is vacuum leaks. Small leaks make idling difficult, Large leaks and it won't start or run.

If the PO did not mention that he had changed hoses, etc.... you gotta do that. Seals and hoses..... there are o-rings and seals and hoses everywhere. But there are diagrams everywhere too. As you pull stuff to re-seal and re-hose you can do some exterior cleaning.

Post some more pix. Good Luck
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Pulling the engine to clean will require replacing any old hoses (they will break when you remove them) and overall a lot of investment and work to clean for no reason. I'd be tempted to run it as is while you take your time here and in the john muir idiot book mentioned above to learn everything you can about your engine. It will make cleaning it much more efficient and give you time to gather parts instead of taking your bus out of service right away for a month or two. Yes you can remove and re-install the engine in a weekend, IF you have a nice stash of the small bits a pieces you will need to get it back together as your 50yr old stuff breaks on you.

So welcome to thesamba, we mean well but aren't always the most cuddly. Laughing
We mean well and want you to enjoy your van and not make the same dumb mistakes we have. Rolling Eyes
Also, we love pictures! Post a bunch!
Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Engine removal.... the best guide and website for just about everything

http://ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

If your engine and tranny aren't marking their spot on the garage floor then pulling them might well be ill advised at this time. Some oil seepage is normal and pretty much expected, but actually having a frequent drip is not. For these and most engines mechanics doing less than stellar work cause a high percentage of the problems.

As others said it is hoses and such that are important to deal with. Running with 40+ year old fuel line is a total no-no and needs to be taken care of at once. Adding marine anti siphon valves on the inlet and outlet of the tank (making sure the flow direction is correct for each valve) can also lessen the chance of catastrophic fire. You want 30r9 fuel injection line or a European equivalent. Some 30r14 line, but NOT ALL will carry 30r9 markings.

It is important that all your engine tin be present and in good shape, if someone has cut away parts of it to get access for some reason and left big gaping holes those holes need to be well closed off or the tin replaced. There are several boots and grommets that are also typically missing and can waste gobs of cooling air.

These rigs can be very dependable, but most have had a half dozen owners by this point in time and each has cut some corners and each cut corner can come back to bite you.
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Here's the best reference I used when removing and refreshing my engine the first time: AirSchooled.com

Where in CA are you? Lots of Samba members around the state who might be able to help you.

Hi Kent, I am in Sonoma.
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
it's running and feels good? Besides pulling the engine to clean, you got any other thoughts? Unless there is a huge need, I might leave it in and drive it.

Lots of internet stuff out there on the L-Jet FI. I have learned alot. BIGGEST thing on the L-JET is vacuum leaks. Small leaks make idling difficult, Large leaks and it won't start or run.

If the PO did not mention that he had changed hoses, etc.... you gotta do that. Seals and hoses..... there are o-rings and seals and hoses everywhere. But there are diagrams everywhere too. As you pull stuff to re-seal and re-hose you can do some exterior cleaning.

Post some more pix. Good Luck

Thank you for your comment, I agree with you, yes it does run great no hick ups. I did not ask about hoses, etc... Since I am planning to go on trips across US just wanted to be sure, it is 107000 miles old, and I am not sure how good it has been taken care of.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

like the above said, maybe shampoo it in situ & be gentle with it.
whatever you do with the fridge, don't pitch it out. Store it for later if
you don't crave a cold beer while you drive...
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
like the above said, maybe shampoo it in situ & be gentle with it.
whatever you do with the fridge, don't pitch it out. Store it for later if
you don't crave a cold beer while you drive...

I dpn't know how it works, there is no manual, it is clean. a cold beer sounds heavenly great, while driving... if it had a cruise control... yeah right.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

El_Cid wrote:

I dpn't know how it works, there is no manual, it is clean.

Owners Manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/75bus.php

Camper Manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1975_campmobile.php

Fridge Manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1975_campmobile_refrigerator.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Manuals...
Thank you,
These are great,
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

If it was me, before I pulled an engine to clean it up I'd do a dry and wet compression test, run it for a while, then check all the valve clearances then do another dry and wet compression test to get a baseline on where things stand.
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
If it was me, before I pulled an engine to clean it up I'd do a dry and wet compression test, run it for a while, then check all the valve clearances then do another dry and wet compression test to get a baseline on where things stand.

This is a great side, Thanks for all the comments very helpful.
Yes, I would just do what you have recommended, before pulling the engine to clean and rebuilt it. It would make sense prior to do the big job, read, ask, and read more about this vehicle.

Regards
Cid
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

This is great, I appreciate your effort in assisting me to get my VW in top shape.
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Post more pics Shocked Mad
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

Congratulations! Welcome to thesamba Smile

i know you will find many answers here. Before driving my bus my order of importance was :

1 make sure it rolls safely, i.e., proper load rated truck tires, all 4 wheels bearings status, cv joints, boots, etc.

2 make sure it stops safely, i.e. brakes on all 4 wheels, brake lines, have the flexible brake lines, been replaced within the last 5 years? and

3 make sure it goes safely, i.e. fuel lines, fuel vent lines, fuel filler neck, fuel tank condition, oil leaks, vacuum leaks, lights, seatbelts, etc.

many of these tasks can be accomplished together like the brakes and bearings. These were easier for me with the bus completely tireless (after loosening the rear axle nuts) and safely supported.

Good luck and have fun with your new hobby Smile I look forward to seeing your progress.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 1975 VW Bay Window, FI engine Reply with quote

I am replacing the taillights, but I did not like the dull look of the housing, so I used a "Bumper Chrome" spray paint to give it a little reflection.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: