Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

We have some sad news to share, long-time Bus and Barndoor legend, Richard Stewart who many of you older guys will recall from his many years in the scene, seems to have lost his home and remarkable car collection to the ongoing and ferocious wild fires in the small town of Paradise in Northern California.

Many of us have been texting and calling each other to find out if he and his family are OK, THEY ARE!, but his home and ultra cool collection of cars have not fared well.

It sounds as though his wife's beautiful Ruby Red Kombi, his 2 1959 Chevy Wagons, 1959 Chevy Convertible, a half dozen classic trucks, and more have likely been lost.

Richard's a good dude, loads of respect and passion in the hobby, and Mark Lapriore went ahead and set up this GoFundMe account on Richard's family's behalf.

If you'd like to make a contribution, thanks in advance, and here's the link...

www.gofundme.com/richard-stewart-and-family

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

And for those who haven't heard about how devastating the Paradise fire is, this article will show you.

The fire was expanding so fast that the firefighters weren't even attempting to battle it, they were just rushing to evacuate people.

Headlines have been saying that the entire town is basically burned to the ground...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/heroism-harrowing-escapes-fire-destroys-california-town-065519309.html

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Richard is such a great guy. I am so glad the he was able to get out safely before the fires burned his town to the ground. I would encourage anyone who is able to donate something to help out in this terrible time for him. Everyone who knows him knows that he would be the last person to ask anyone for help, and the first person to help a friend in need.

For some who might not know, Richard puts on the Red Barn campout/show/swap during the Kelley Park weekend every year.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklapriore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Richard. He’s blown away at everybodies generosity who has given, and he thanks you from the botton of his heart. It sounds like he and Michelle were lucky to get out of there. Michelle got early warning because she was at the school where she teaches. She called Richard at home, who grabbed a few pictures off the wall and fled, right as the hospital across the street was engulfed. He said there were 3-4’ embers falling in his yard. He rushed to help his sons at their houses, and wasn’t able to make it back home after that. Then he got a call from Michelle, who was stuck in deadlock traffic with houses on both sides of the street in flames.

But luckily, they all made it to safety.

Again, thank you to everyone who has donated, and those who continue to give. When I set the gofundme up today, I had to pick a goal to reach, and just typed in $5000 arbitrarily. We’ve hit that easily in the first few hours. Hopefully it doesn’t stop there. Give what you’re comfortable giving. And I’m sure Richard will see you and thank you in person in the future. Trust me, he is eternally grateful.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for setting up the gofundme page.

I talked to Richard this morning, and wow, what an emotional phone call.
As Mark mentioned, Richard is incredibly grateful for the generosity. He is also very thankful for, and appreciative of the support of his friends, which at this time means a heck of a lot to him.
So send a lot of positive thoughts his way.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Don't forget about James and Lisa Gaebe

https://www.gofundme.com/james-and-lisa-gaebe?fbcl...rBvRM0KDrs

You can see one of his lost buses and trucks and trailers in the pic of their home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

I lost 3 bays and my 21 window that cooked in the shop,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Sorry for your losses. Happy you guys made it out safely.

Does anyone know who's Bug this is/was? I've seen it in a few pictures.

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Donation sent. I`ve known Richard since the old SOTO days. And I just saw him on the 4th at the Turlock swap meet. He`s a good guy.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

I cant imagine what it must take to comprehend all of this happening without any warning and have your present life all gone in a matter of minutes. Its hard as an outsider watching it happening on the News or reading about it online even though it isn't happening to me.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone as approachable and selflessly involved in this hobby as Richard. He's definitely one of the good ones. I truly hope he and his family recover quickly.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Understanding this post originally focused on the hardships of Richard Stewart, but has anyone reached out to him and others like James Gaebe (or been in contact with those affected in Paradise and the surrounding area) who is in need of clothing, baby items (clothing, diapers, formula, breast pumps, etc.), dry goods or any other basic needs?

The wife and I are putting together anything we can to try and help those affected and would rather put it directly in their hands than drop it off willy nilly at some center, not guaranteeing it goes where needed. All the best to those affected by these fires and hope we as a community might be able to help out. Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Mark! Money sent. Not sure if I know Richard or not, but I can sort of imagine what a huge loss he and his family have just been through. I hope they rebuild their lives quickly!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Super nice guy.

Last edited by lenny copp on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

What a horrible thing to happen to a family. I’m glad they’re OK. Hopefully insurance will cover the loss of the material things, but I absolutely cannot imagine losing my home like that and all the memories created in it. All the family memorabilia. What a tradgity. Prayers that they recovery quickly in every way.
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

We discussed this last night at our OCTO meeting, Erik Koplien shared the link of the paypal account for donations and encourage us all to give if we can, I personally know Richard since the SOTO days and have nothing but respect for the guy and hope that his situation stabilizes real soon, material possessions could be replaced but we are all glad they made it safe with their lives and hope to seem soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Stewart, Paradise, CA Fire Fund by Mark L Reply with quote

Man that really sucks but the main thing is everybody is ok. These cars can be replaced as cliche as it is to say. Hopefully everyone had some type of collector car insurance such as Hagerty / Grundy etc. if so that should really speed things up. Again, hopefully everybody and their pets made it out safe. Can’t forget the critters.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: