Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tie Rod End Installation
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

I am fitting new ends to the tie rods while they are off the car and neither the tie rods or the ends have flats where I can wrench on. I am trying to do it in a vice using vice grips and so far I have split both the rubbers on my vice jaw guards in half by tightening the vice so much and have damaged a boot on one of the new tie rod ends.

I have used antisize on the threads and they are all turned into the thread so properly but I cannot get them to go in far enough to be close to the correct length. Can someone advise (a) why the f@ck anyone would make tie rods and ends without flats to allow them to be fitted and (b) how I am supposed to do this?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

Umm, either put them back in the car, loosen the lock nut & lock clamp & turn the tie rod, or, slip the box end of a wrench over the tapered stud, put the nut on & twist the end off that way.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

And... Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I installed mine... But one side, loosening it actually tightens it. Lefty tighty, righty loosey sort of speak.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
And... Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I installed mine... But one side, loosening it actually tightens it. Lefty tighty, righty loosey sort of speak.

This is correct, one end on each tie rod is left hand thread so that you can turn the tie rod to adjust the length.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

Did you compare the length and threaded section on the old and new parts? Some parts come with a shorter body but longer threaded section so they have to bw turned in more. Unfortunarely 50 years or ruat accumulates on the threads unside the shaft.

To be honest. This is why i just replace the entire tierod assembly.

brad
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

They really should turn by hand fairly easily.
I just replaced mine as well. With the locknuts and clamps loose, you should be able to turn the rod by hand to set the toe.
Yes one side of each tie rod is left hand thread.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie Rod End Installation Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I am fitting new ends to the tie rods while they are off the car and neither the tie rods or the ends have flats where I can wrench on. I am trying to do it in a vice using vice grips and so far I have split both the rubbers on my vice jaw guards in half by tightening the vice so much and have damaged a boot on one of the new tie rod ends.

I have used antisize on the threads and they are all turned into the thread so properly but I cannot get them to go in far enough to be close to the correct length. Can someone advise (a) why the f@ck anyone would make tie rods and ends without flats to allow them to be fitted and (b) how I am supposed to do this?

Flats so you can put a wrench on them I guess? Pipe wrench would work if they are just round. I just replaced steering stuff on the 68. Went with all new parts. 50 year old car with 50 year old parts and 50 years of rust. Seemed to make more sense to just replace the whole thing rather than fight with getting them apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: