Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Bulkhead replacement help
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

So, I have a 66 standard 11 window bus. I bought it with the bulkhead (full rising sun) removed and some awesome volvo seats. I want to replace the bulkhead (the right way).

- I have a donor bulkhead, but as you see in the pics, The metal is a bit thin and rusty at the bottom, and flanges, so a bit of repair work is needed.

- Also, the remaining portion of my bus (where the og bulkhead was cut out), has a little metal left (anywhere from about 1" to 1/4"). Meaning I will need to weld new metal between there and the donor bulkhead.

My question is, what is the easiest BUT CORRECT way to do this?

OPTION #1
- Make repairs to the bulkhead itself (blue areas)
- Cut off at the red line
- Trim the surfaces even and flat
- Then temporarily put it in place with sheet metal screws,
- Make a template and weld metal in between?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]

OPTION #2
- Make repairs to donor bulkhead (same full rising sun)
- Completely remove the remaining lower portion of the bulkhead from the bus.
- Get a new lower portion from Kfab (meant for 55/61 bus)
- Cut new portion to fit donor bulkhead (red line)
- Weld new lower to donor bulkhead and install as 1 whole bulkhead
- (So finished product will be 66 full rising sun top + 55/61 new kfab lower)
*Getting super f-ing tired of saying bulkhead Mad

**I REALIZE THAT THE PIC IS A 1/2 RISING SUN, AND THE NEW LOWER PIECE IS MEANT FOR 55/61. BUT BESIDE SOME MINOR COSMETIC DIFFERENCES (VERTICAL LINES) SHOULD WORK RIGHT? I WILL PUT A PANEL OVER IT.....EVENTUALLY

Any thoughts or other options to consider would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you[/i]
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Looks like the metal on your bus is in good shape. Probably best to carefully straighten it out as best as possible. Then cut out the rusty parts of the donor, and make many small cuts till donor fits the metal on the bus as perfectly as can be.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

If the remainder of your bulkhead is good I would trim it back to the center of the lip around the fender wells. That will eliminate weld on the cab side and give a solid base to weld on. Also i would trim and repair the donor part first.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. So the guy I'm taking it to, to have some body work done, doesn't want to do a butt weld on the bottom. I think he wants to just lap weld it onto the back of the wheel well. That's kinda why I asked the question.
I want it butt welded so it looks as original as possible. I know its hard to tell from pictures, but that should be able to work right?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Lap welds tend to collect water due to capillary action and rust follows all too soon afterward.

Why not get a quality wire feed welder and do it yourself??
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Lap welds tend to collect water due to capillary action and rust follows all too soon afterward.

Why not get a quality wire feed welder and do it yourself??

Ha, I just borrowed my buddy's Hobart 140. Still need a gas bottle, but working on that. Definitely see your point about the lap weld. I've taken 1 welding class. I guess just a little hesitant to try it.

There is some more metal work to do in the bottom wheel well/bulkhead area. Probably the front top hat ends, b posts, and jack supports etc. Should these areas be done first prior to the bulkhead?

Thanks Eric and Barb. You guys always respond to my many questions and I appreciate it.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Probably be fine without the bulkhead till you have areas like that corner fixed, it does give you a bit more elbow room.

If you are nervous about welding, get some scrap pieces of sheet metal to play with for a week. Post results and all here can chime in....

Personally never took a welding class. First try welded up a rusty beetle pan for three weeks to get the hang of not only welding, but dealing with thinner than stock rusty stuff.
mnmgross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Did you ever get your bulkhead finished? I have a piece missing in mine and the replacements are for the rising sun only. I am trying to decide how to fix mine. Any help would be great.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

mnmgross wrote:
Did you ever get your bulkhead finished? I have a piece missing in mine and the replacements are for the rising sun only. I am trying to decide how to fix mine. Any help would be great.

Post a "WTB" ad in the classifieds. Someone somewhere will be hacking up a bus that DPO cut the upper part for that custom walk thru option.
Outlaw1929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

I’m replacing the bulkhead in my bus right now and I am working through issues if you have any questions I may be able to help or vice versa, I’m actually looking for a dimension of the piece maybe you guys can help with? It’s a small sideways T shaped piece at each corner at the top of the bulkhead. Their tack welded on. I need the dimension from the left To write up that small T shaped piece.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Bulkhead replacement help Reply with quote

Think this will help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8969323&highlight=#8969323
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: