Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delete your Facebook account
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

AND delete the FB app from my phone, but keep it on my laptop, to reduce or eliminate the "need" (addiction?) to checking the app multiple times a day.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Go into the app permissions and you'll see it has access to your contacts, pictures, location and much more.

The app is spyware.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Create a generic, no name account. Join your group. Delete your personal account. Never post anything personal or identifying on the generic account.

then you'd need a throw away cell phone too...I think they want to text you the activation to FB.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Create a generic, no name account. Join your group. Delete your personal account. Never post anything personal or identifying on the generic account.

then you'd need a throw away cell phone too...I think they want to text you the activation to FB.

Personally I say SCREW FB.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Personally I say SCREW FB.

I would have to agree as well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Why not just unfriend and/or unfollow everything but the group(s) you want to see info from? Then, what little leak-through there would be from unwanted parties could easily be removed as they appear.

Yes, I too, am getting tired of the quagmire that is facebook.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Facebook has been pretty good for finding shit on Marketplace. Also I have no personal photos uploaded and the "info" they are gleaning about you being discussed here is a bunch of sound and fury... unless you're planning something and are incredibly stupid about it.

That said, I hate facebook for the most part. Its interface is needlessly confusing and archaic. But I hate pretty much all social media anyway.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Have I ever mentioned--------------I sure miss my bagphone? Crying or Very sad
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Facebook has been pretty good for finding shit on Marketplace.

People keep telling me that craigslist is dead and "everybody" uses Marketplace.
We decided to sell off bunch of stuff — antique furniture, sports gear, car parts etc.
I put the ads on craigslist, my wife put the same ads on FB. The opposite of what we expected happened...everything sold through craigslist and the FB people turned out to be the total flakes!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Why not just unfriend and/or unfollow everything but the group(s) you want to see info from? Then, what little leak-through there would be from unwanted parties could easily be removed as they appear.

Because it bothers me to have to keep playing Whack-A-Mole with advertisers and unwanted users to keep access to an app that really doesn't make my life more enjoyable or productive.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

My daughter wants to discuss my withdrawal from FB. Laughing

But I've already disabled the FB app on my smartphone. I feel better already. Very Happy

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Facebook is designed for narcissists. And HR staff. And advertisers. This one time, in band camp, my manager told us we all had to have facebook accounts as part of some directive. I could not be bothered arguing with the fool about my right to privacy so I said 'oh right' and created some nonsense account and did absolutely nothing with it ever. I think the idea was to start networking and spamming, profiling ourselves and making ourselves available to the world by promoting our skills and company. Jesus, last thing I wanted to do was be associated with him or the company, let alone tell the world about it.

Follow, follow, like like. Wank wank is what it is. Made by wankers for wankers.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

My second step in weaning myself from FB: I've deleted every post, comment, like, photo, video, tag, album and search from my account from one month ago going back to 2010. I've also removed all specific information from my profile. Previously I also had "unfriended" all but 19 people who are family or have some unusually special significance for me.

Took a few hours. If I comment or post anything, I plan to delete it in a few days. No point in leaving stuff on there longer: IMO it's indeed narcissistic to think someone other than yourself is going to be looking at your stuff months or years from now.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
My second step in weaning myself from FB: I've deleted every post, comment, like, photo, video, tag, album and search from my account from one month ago going back to 2010. I've also removed all specific information from my profile. Previously I also had "unfriended" all but 19 people who are family or have some unusually special significance for me.

Took a few hours. If I comment or post anything, I plan to delete it in a few days. No point in leaving stuff on there longer: IMO it's indeed narcissistic to think someone other than yourself is going to be looking at your stuff months or years from now.

I only do that here on the Samba, but it's usually when someone brings a build thread I have on here back from the dead. Or when I need a piece of info that I posted on something I did 5 years ago.

I don't do facebook, never have, never will. I don't have time for it. Plus I hate advertisements. If I'm looking for something specific, I'll look on e-bay for it. I already know where to buy VW parts, so that's not an issue.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

PBS - Frontline has a 2-part program on Facebook. There wasn't much there that I didn't already know or suspect, but it's a good "watch" that's relevant to all things internet.

https://www.pbs.org/show/frontline/

79SuperVert wrote:
My second step in weaning myself from FB: I've deleted every post, comment, like, photo, video, tag, album and search from my account from one month ago going back to 2010.

Fun fact - Facbook still has and uses all of you old stuff, even if you deleted it from your account.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Absolutely true. But once that data has been "deleted" by the user, I figure it has less value to FB's clients looking to buy that data, because the user no longer cares about it. FB only cares about my data if it can sell it to someone. Once I indicate I don't care about my data, FB can't ask as much of a price for it on the data market.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I deleted my account about 6 months ago.
I do miss some VW stuff that went with it but other than that, I dont miss a thing.
Now I waste time on youtube watching mustie1 and his "will it run" videos
That Brookhaven single cab he has is awesome
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Facebook is the new RJReynolds of the consumer habit-forming industry.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-facebook-20181115-story.html

So many get their "news" from facebook, and don't realizing how they are being manipulated for the profit of facebook.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
So many get their "news" from facebook, and don't realizing how they are being manipulated for the profit of facebook.

I've heard that too and thought it was weird, I never see news stuff when I bring up Facebook.

Maybe it's getting blocked by my ad blocker, I'm not turning that off for Facebook.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

The Facebook/cambridge analytica thing shocked me at first, but only because I had my head in the sand. There is so much more crap to be concerned about, it should really make everyone's head spin- figuratively.

Cars today are drive by wire. It has been shown that they can be hacked and controlled remotely. Modern cars are also packed with so many sensors that automakers are actively pursuing ways to sell information on individuals driving habits.

Your phone already tracks your every movement, and possibly can listen to you when it's not even on.

Smart speakers can hear you when you're getting murdered in your own home.

Facial recognition is getting better. Walking outside your door will eventually get your every move tracked in high def video.

Doorbells have infrared motion sensor cameras in them tracking everything that drives, walks, crawls, or saunters by.

So many ways in which we are not truly private or anonymous anymore. Time to seriously get paranoid and cynical.

I've given in. Buy stock in FB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: