Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KhakiMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia Reply with quote

Thought I'd pass along a recent article/video from Jalopnik. A few bits of history that were new to me.

Five Things to Know About the Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia, And Its Sort-Of Stolen Design
https://jalopnik.com/five-things-to-know-about-the-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-1830383182
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

The drawing shows the Beetle chassis as being longer than the Ghia which isn’t right. Also this is not correct:

So, Karmann reached out to Ghia to see if they had any great ideas, and Ghia looked over to the corner of their workshop and saw the forlorn D’Elegance and said “Well, now that you mention it...”
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
The drawing shows the Beetle chassis as being longer than the Ghia which isn’t right. Also this is not correct:

So, Karmann reached out to Ghia to see if they had any great ideas, and Ghia looked over to the corner of their workshop and saw the forlorn D’Elegance and said “Well, now that you mention it...”

Yeah - the inclued drawing comparing the Beetle and Karmann Ghia floorpans is definitely misleading, but at least the author got it correct in the text ...

Jalopnik's Jason Torchinsky wrote:
I know everyone always says the Karmann-Ghia was just a Beetle with a sleeker body, but there were actually some other changes, too. While the chassis was based on the Beetle pan, the Ghia’s full-width body required the floorpans of the Beetle chassis to be widened, resulting in a chassis that was four inches wider than the stock Beetle.

I knew that the Karmann Ghia shared the same floorpan with the VW Thing (a,k.a. Trekker, Safari, Type 181), but ...

This wider chassis was more flexible to a greater number of body designs, and as a result was used for a number of other VW Type I cars, including the VW Thing and the Brazilian Beetle replacement, the Brasilia.

... I did not know that it was also shared with the Brasilia.

I also did not know that all four roof pillars of the Karmann Ghia coupe were actually seperate pieces joined together by the craftsmen at the Karmann Coachworks as the photo in the article indicates.

Interesting article, and IMO yet just another indication that the collector car market in general is paying more attention and giving more respect to the VW Karmann Ghia.
I'm also of the opinion that the more the collector car market in general knows about the Karmann Ghia and how it was produced,, the higher the resale values will become.

Thanks to KhakiMan for sharing the article link.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

Yeah - the inclued drawing comparing the Beetle and Karmann Ghia floorpans is definitely misleading, but at least the author got it correct in the text ...

I know everyone always says the Karmann-Ghia was just a Beetle with a sleeker body, but there were actually some other changes, too. While the chassis was based on the Beetle pan, the Ghia’s full-width body required the floorpans of the Beetle chassis to be widened, resulting in a chassis that was four inches wider than the stock Beetle.

I knew that the Karmann Ghia shared the same floorpan with the VW Thing (a,k.a. Trekker, Safari, Type 181), but ...

This wider chassis was more flexible to a greater number of body designs, and as a result was used for a number of other VW Type I cars, including the VW Thing and the Brazilian Beetle replacement, the Brasilia.

... I did not know that it was also shared with the Brasilia.

I also did not know that all four roof pillars of the Karmann Ghia coupe were actually seperate pieces joined together by the craftsmen at the Karmann Coachworks as the photo in the article indicates.

Interesting article, and IMO yet just another indication that the collector car market in general is paying more attention and giving more respect to the VW Karmann Ghia.
I'm also of the opinion that the more the collector car market in general knows about the Karmann Ghia and how it was produced,, the higher the resale values will become.

Thanks to KhakiMan for sharing the article link.

I think the collector market has discovered the Karmann Ghia Shocked
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-4/

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

That wasn’t a knowledgeable collector that bought that. That color matched/painted interior crap is horrible.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
That wasn’t a knowledgeable collector that bought that.

Agreed... Rolling Eyes
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
That wasn’t a knowledgeable collector that bought that.

Agreed... Rolling Eyes

The enthusiasts are already here.

When the Ghia becomes a "style icon" the asperational move in. Let's hope it stays "under the radar.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

I for one welcome the aspirational.
Let them pull them from the weeds and fix them up just like we have.
More Ghias = More fun.
Every time I see one rolling down the road it brings me joy.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
That wasn’t a knowledgeable collector that bought that. That color matched/painted interior crap is horrible.

It certainly appealed to someone. Knowledgeable or not.

Mike Gerson

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
More Ghias = More fun.
^^^ yea, that.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

So...
Did Segre influence Exner or was it the other way around. One other interesting todbit is there is supposedly a total of 11ft. of hand welded seams to join the panels. I might go measure!

Mike Gerson

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
More Ghias = More fun.

Asperationals don't pull them from the weeds...and they certainly don't want to get their hands dirty. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
So...
Did Segre influence Exner or was it the other way around. One other interesting todbit is there is supposedly a total of 11ft. of hand welded seams to join the panels. I might go measure!

There's nobody alive who was privvy to the inside line, just suspicions/assumptions/guesses but Ghia had a "house style" that was shared among several projects...who knows. Smile

Certainly the Ghia used some of them but the beautiful nose is all Karmann Ghia.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

I just tripped across the youtube version...

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

This is great and really well produced. The guy seems to know what he is talking about and obviously enjoys the Ghia. Thanks for posting!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
The guy seems to know what he is talking about and obviously enjoys the Ghia.

Yes, Torch definitely knows his way around VWs. I do think he is more of a Beetle guy, but he loves all aircooled VWs.

I look at Jalopnik everyday, and I would say that his articles are some of the funniest/most interesting ones on that website.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Things to Know About the VW Karmann-Ghia (A Reply with quote

Ghia's rust so be careful buying one!!!! They are a cool car but grossly under powered in stock form. They have great potential for performance and enjoyment plus a big cool factor. Put in a 150 + HP motor (no Orange county factor), 5 speed with brakes and suspension and they are hard to pass up on the fun ticket. I loved the convertibles with the top up and rear window down - great looking lots of ventilation and fun to drive -just not too safe when it comes to collisions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: