Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Yeah Man!
That’s purdy.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

1. Installed narrowed adjustable beam. (more for the narrowing than the adjusting, as the tires were tickling the fenders after installation of the drop spindles)

2. Realized that the drop spindles now made the car too low, so reinstalled the originals.

3. Woke up to 25 degree weather and drove it to work anyway.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

^^^Is your beam adjusted all the way up?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Just pulled her out (a 1970 Ghia Coupe) from behind another VW in my 7-car garage, and fired her up (1776cc) and took her out for a 20 mile spin to circulate all the fluids before storing her before any salt hits the roadways. Fun, fun, FUN! It's been months, and I almost forgot what a gas it is to drive! I've got a laundry list of things to fix on her that maybe I'll get to in the Spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The electrical section of my original ignition switch failed quite a while back, and I re-wired the new electrical switch temporarily and laid it loose up in the front trunk. So to start it up, I turn the ignition key to on to free up the steering column, then I have to open the trunk, used a stubby screwdriver in the electrical switch to start up the Ghia, then do some driving and park when I get back, open up the trunk and use the screwdriver to turn off the engine. Kind of a pain in the ass, but at least I know the old switch inside the column was the culprit, and I can again drive her until I take the column apart someday to install the new switch.

Looks like I'll have to try to find a replacement soft rubber horn button for my aftermarket Formuling France steering wheel, as it is breaking up and about to fall apart. Anyone out there know if new F.F. rubber horn buttons are still available anywhere? I was already thinking about installing a stock VW steering wheel anyway, soon, maybe this will push this job up the list of things to do? I have never driven this Ghia with an original stock wheel, as when I bought it way, way, WAY back in 1974 it already had a Secura wood steering wheel on it. I later changed it to the Formuling France wheel.

I own eight old VWs, most of 'em older than this Ghia, but I've owned the Ghia Coupe longer than all of the other VWs in my collection. It was originally Pastel Blue. I love this car, we have a long, long history together!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

You own 8?
It should be against the law to "hoard" VWs. Shame on you

Your Ghia is awesome!

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

YEAH! 70 Cool
Get all the repairs done during the winter so you can hit the ground running in the spring. Lovin the eye candy. Lets see the others, and that garage too Shocked

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
^^^Is your beam adjusted all the way up?

Yes, and still I had to haul-up on the bumper just to get the jack out from under Very Happy

With the normal spindles and the beam adjusted down about 1/3 of the range it feels pretty good.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2231290

RestoJohnny has a horn button for BulliBill.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Nobody’s done anything since the 3rd?
I’m guilty as well.
But I did order some parts I was missing.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Nobody’s done anything since the 3rd?
I’m guilty as well.
But I did order some parts I was missing.

I did something! Very Happy

My 356 A/B dome top fuel pump was not holding pressure, so I sent it to Doug at www.type356a.com for inspection/rebuild. Reinstalled it on 12/6 and it's been performing perfectly.

CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Restoring my lowlight steering wheel

-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Damn -- -- It seems like just last week it was running

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Damn -- -- It seems like just last week it was running

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but .....

.... it's supposed to be a ragtop, not a rugtop.

Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Carpet... Check! Highly recommend Newton carpeting. It goes in like a jigsaw puzzle. But if you take your time and line up the pieces before gluing them down, it goes in perfect.

J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Good news: What did I do to my Ghia? Well, I found her a little friend to keep her company in the garage.

Bad news: The Ghia will be neglected even more while I work with one of my kids on restoring the go kart. My 30 year old class notes from high school auto shop may finally come in handy as we tear apart the two stroke!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The go-kart is awesome, and brings back memories. When I was a kid, 12-13, my dad built two go-karts for me and my brother with beetle bodies on them, didn't have Ghia bodies at the time. We tore up our neighborhood and the kids were so jealous! Of course that was back in the day when you could actually do this in So Cal without the other parents calling the police on you for having fun outside!
Early VW lover/owner

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

We’ll see if this works.
Not just this week though.

jeffrey8164 wrote:
OK!
So it's been about a month since I've been able to really work on Rose.
I have been doing some small things here and there.

I have three car covers covering her (when I'm not abusing her with tools) as well as 8 moving blankets to protect her from cat claws. It was a pain to have to fold all the blankets separately, plus there were filthy from 14 years of garage dust and cat hair, so I bought 8 new moving blankets and had them sewn together so now it's one big cover. Much easier to deal with now.

I bought this little vacuum pump to finish bleeding the brakes. Should've just gotten one of these to begin with. The wife isn't a very good or patient helper but she makes up for it in other ways. Very Happy

Got my fuel pump mount finalized. I put it in a plumbing coupler to try and keep the vibration down and mounted it to the bulkhead. I hope its quieter when there is fuel in it. The three seconds it fired while testing the operation of the cut off relay seemed really loud.

Then I installed the tank and new fuel lines and fittings.

Then to bring it into the new Millenia, I added a USB port to the dash.

Then added Bluetooth to the Stereo.

And while I was working in the trunk I finally installed the knee pads for the dash that have been sitting around new since 1994. Wasn't that fun trying to reach through all the wiring to tighten the nuts but a few beers later and I had the necessary motivation. Personally, I think it looks like shit. I was going to install the ashtray too but it wouldn’t have fit well without a lot of cutting and proding and I wasn’t sure if the pad would take it. I felt the ashtray, while original and cool didn’t add any appeal so I left the Audio EQ in its place instead of trying to relocate it to the glovebox. It actually helps hold up the pad since there are no supports there and it’s flexible rubber.

I put in these headlights I've had forever too. I think I like the stock look of the GE halogens better so I might change them back.

Then, I went through all the electrics to make sure everything was working and discovered I had a faulty reverse light switch in the "new" Benco transmission. So that is on order. I'm running out of parts to buy though so these little onesies are going to eat me alive in shipping. Oh! I put in a new fuse box too.

Now I have to recover the amplifier platform, re-install the stereo and verifiy that everything works.

Then the fun starts...The 2276.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

WOW. It worked!

morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finish welding the rear mounts for the air bag suspension.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looking good.
Reminds me of when mine was nothing but pan.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 133 of 167

Jump to: