Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

making a full soft top.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Heavy duty singer home sewing machine is great for throw pillows..Trying to stuff all this soft top material under the little enclosed end and keep the machine sewing in a straight line is a real bitch….Sean..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

ALMOST DONE!!!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I have to pull doors down tight and add the snaps on the inside bottom of doors.I also need to sew the flap on that attaches to the outside of door, that runs the length of the body(sill plate) to keep rain from running in.Rub off my yellow oil pencil marks, And its a WRAP!!!....lol.finally.I like it a lot.thats a;ll that matters to me....SEAN...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I need some sun to get the wrinkles out.the passenger sides been in the sun its wrinkle free now.lol.stuffing it all thru the machine wasn't easy...Sean...
LesbleuBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Looking good - Kudo's for the effort
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Came out really nice, especially for a first time! AND no pattern besides the one you made.

Great work! Very Happy
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Really well done!
A hair dryer will shift these wrinkles too. Did that fitting a motorbike seat cover once.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Thanks guys.YesYDBD I think for a first time its not bad with no patterns.I do know I learned ALOT and there will be a second one in the future.Hopefully I am past a lot of the learning curve. Cammie I was wondering if that would work,ill do that.(the hair dryer)...MY hats off to upholstery guys!!..ITS not as easy as one would think.IT was brutal,lol..I had never used a sewing machine,or bent a piece of conduit or done a lick of upholstery work.So for me this is great.Hopefully someone can use what I posted and do much better than they would have, or just much better....thanx guys SEAN...
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Take it easy. Don't let the heat concentrate on a small area. You're just warming it slightly.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

gotcha Cammie thanks.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

finally!!..
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Hello:

Nice work. Your top looks great.

Thanks for posting your project.

I have enjoyed following along.

Merk
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Merk ,thank you!!.Glad u liked it....Sean..
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Great job on the top . . . turned out nice! Cool
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

57BLITZ ,thanks Man!...Sean..
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

You did a really nice job making that top. I know how difficult it is to sew industrial fabrics with a home sewing machine, having done some of that for my boat. Thanks for documenting the process for others to learn from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: