Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car leans to one side
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79 vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: car leans to one side Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 79 vert that I have been restoring for about a year. Nearly done now. The car leans about 1.5 inches to the driver side. Or maybe it is sitting too high on the passenger. A little history, it was rolled in 1997 and has set until I got it last year. I stripped it down and did the pans but the heater channels were perfect so I kept those. Car had 50,000 miles when parked and was stored inside. I think the passenger side wheels both look to be closer toward the door than the driver side. The driver side looks perfect, the passenger looks "off". Why would it sit higher/lower on one side. Both of the wheel on the passenger side are holding the car up more, not just the front or the back. Thanks for any help.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: higher on one side Reply with quote

Wow, it could be a number of things. The framehead could be twisted from the wreck. The rear Torsion bars could be damaged on one side. Someone may have tinkered with the rear suspension and got the rear torsion bars out of time (one side to the other) Iwould set the car up so the rear torsion tube is perfectly level, then see if the front framehead is level. If not your frame has been tweaked. Look at the IRS a arms to see if one of them is bent. It is possible that one of the torsion bars got broken in the wreck. That is what you should hope for. Its easiest to fix
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79 vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was'nt really a wreck, as in impact another car or something. There was no signs of any impact, it looked as if it had maybe rolled down a hill or something. A very gentle roll, or as gentle as a roll could be. Does the front stabilizer bar set the placement of the front wheel. I mean in a front to rear way. I wonder if it was bent in the roll if it would cause the front tire to sit a little toward the door, and would this make it sit higher in the front?
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: higher Reply with quote

Yes, the front anti-sway bar positions teh wheel assembly in the front to back orientation and yes it could be bent and that could make the car lean
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79 vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a donor car also, this weekend I will remove the one from my car and switch it. Well, I will change it as soon as the new bushings arive.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: car leans to one side Reply with quote

So what was the fix
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: car leans to one side Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
So what was the fix

Doubt you'll get an answer...

a 7 year old thread

and

according to that person's profile, they haven't been online since 2014.

check this more recent thread out, sounds like you are having the same issues. Could get you started on the right track.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703444&highlight=lower
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: car leans to one side Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
So what was the fix

Doubt you'll get an answer...

a 7 year old thread

and

according to that person's profile, they haven't been online since 2014.

check this more recent thread out, sounds like you are having the same issues. Could get you started on the right track.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703444&highlight=lower

I appreciate the thread...thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: