Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head stud pulling out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Robs66vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

I have at least one head stud that has pulled out of the case. My question is: Is it save to continue to drive it? Also, what effect, if any, will this have on the engine?
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

I have the same issue. One of the central studs is 2-3mm out.

It is "central" so has an other stud at minimal distance.

Engine runs very well (stock 1192).

I know there is a solution: self-screwing (not sure about its correct name) stud that can be inserted without dismantling the engine, only by removing the rocker assembly.

I'll wait for further hints.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

More than one company made these repair studs and I’ll show you one I had close at hand. The other common type is pointed or more tapered on the side that screws into case. Both have a cutout to catch and keep metal shavings from going back into the engine during installation.

This type of repair was meant to be temporary although I have seen many that became permanent because nobody followed up with a proper repair. Proper being drilling oversize and using an insert like you’d find on 73 and up cases. What causes them to pull in the first place? Overheating, over torquing, brittleness of a case that’s seen many thousands of cycles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Repair stud on left is noticeably larger and has coarse threads to provide a strong bite into the stripped hole.

Looking at the stud you’d notice it tapers along its entire length and is made to be installed without engine disassembly, however if it’s a top stud engine will have to come out and cylinder tin removed to install. Here’s food for thought, if one stud pulled others may be close to pulling in near future especially if another overheat event occurs.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Robs66vw wrote:
Also, what effect, if any, will this have on the engine?

Having a pulled stud can increase the load put on the other remaining studs, possibly accelerating the point at which they will loosen or pull as well, as well as reduce the clamping effect of the cylinder between the case and head which can lead to combustion chamber leakage.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Thank you!

Any source for those "repair studs"? Which is their correct name, to start a google search in Europe?

My stud is there, but when I re-turned the nut at the correct force, the stud started to rise out. Now is 2-3 millimeter over the other studs.

I remember the stud, when engine was dismantled, was (by me, while the mechanic was at phone!) inserted too much in the carter, then un-screwed... surely in this phase damaging happened.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

CIP1 has them
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Which is their correct name, to start a google search in Europe?

in the US, we call this a "self tapping case stud" or head stud

http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_4025_VW_BUG_ENGINE_CASE_SELF_TAPPING_10MM_STUD/2208/c165
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Thank you, but I have still something to ask, my mind is not clear.

My engine is a '63 1200 so it has 8mm studs; the self tapping case stud posted above is 10mm... is it only for 1500-1600cc?

Or is it an "enlarged" stud that I should use to compensate the enlarged hole in my case?

Does it fill in the original stud passage?

And: is the lenght 240mm correct for my engine?

The stud to replace is one of the two lower central studs visible under the rocker arm.

Thanks again.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

If you wanted a more permanent solution you might consider a time sert. (Link to one at end of post) You would have to pull the engine and cylinder though. On the plus side you would use the original hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Sert-1812-M8-x-1-25-...:rk:2:pf:0
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Wouldnt a 63 1200 have come with 10 mm studs and no case savers?
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

I did not measure them; just, looking at spare vendors, 8mm studs are proposed for 1200, 1300 engine and 10mm for 1500 and1600... is it true?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

I did not measure them; just, looking at spare vendors, 8mm studs are proposed for 1200, 1300 engine and 10mm for 1500 and1600... is it true?

It's unlikely your '63 1200 has 8mm studs, though not impossible they've been retrofitted. A very easy check can be made to determine what diameter studs you have installed -- simply try to place the open end of an 8mm wrench over the stud. If it fits over the stud, it's 8mm, but if it doesn't then it's 10mm.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Thank you mukluk.

Incidentally, you pointed exactly to the stud that I have to replace Smile

I was thinking about 8mm on smaller engine and 10mm on larger... instead it seems that 8mm are on LARGER engines, to have more room for head enforcement.

Just ordered a couple (1 for spare) of "self tapping case studs" in the USA, I will report my work.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Self-tappers are merely a Band-Aid, & Zundy has nailed it: a field expedient/emergency application only, designed & intended to get a vehicle down the road quickly.
These 2 engines are talking, & asking their owners for help. Installing a self-tapping stud now will almost guarantee that more shall soon pull.
Focusing, the reason behind those 2 studs pulling will still be there ....... the owner is simply buying some time before a complete rebuild.
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This type of repair was meant to be temporary although I have seen many that became permanent because nobody followed up with a proper repair.
Looking at the stud you’d notice it tapers along its entire length and is made to be installed without engine disassembly, however if it’s a top stud engine will have to come out and cylinder tin removed to install.
Here’s food for thought, if one stud pulled others may be close to pulling in near future especially if another overheat event occurs.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

The self tapping studs have the hole in them to catch shavings.... assuming people are using these with the engine still assembled, what would be the reasoning for this??

Do the studs extend all the way into the case? Meaning, if it is taken out will it leave a hole all the way to the interior of the case??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

Some people diss those "fixit" studs as bandaids, but I drove a LOT of miles on them in years past and I never once had one fail on me.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Some people diss those "fixit" studs as bandaids, but I drove a LOT of miles on them in years past and I never once had one fail on me.

Same here. I installed them with red Loctite and never had one pull out. I always used the ones with the half moon cutout. It is true that if one pulls out then others may go but if the self tapper pulls out then the magnesium of the case has gone south and will need to be replaced. I had a '69 engine that I had to install one in and drove it for years and a bunch of miles and never had a problem with that stud or any of the others. Every situation will be different but my experience with them was positive.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

estilholliday wrote:
The self tapping studs have the hole in them to catch shavings.... assuming people are using these with the engine still assembled, what would be the reasoning for this??

Do the studs extend all the way into the case? Meaning, if it is taken out will it leave a hole all the way to the interior of the case??

That cutout doesn't ever get exposed inside the case. Just the very end so the shavings are retained within the threaded part of the case.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

I went to Lowe's and got a length of next size up all-thread with matching washers/nuts. I got it installed into the case, tightened down the heads and its working great. Granted, it doesnt necessarily look the best, but they can only be seen with the engine removed and the tins off.

Im not getting rid of the car, and it doesnt bother me one bit, Also, it adds to the coolness of being able to use unconventional means to make these things work.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Head stud pulling out Reply with quote

I doubt cheap all purpose all-thread is the right material for this application. I bet it looses tention very quickly with a few heat/cool cycles.

If you had it apart, why didn't you just insert the case or even use a repair stud?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: