Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royale_Fussion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

So i recently bought a 1973 baja bug off someone a couple days ago and the plan is to make it my daily driver during high school. The bug currently is running a stinger and its very loud. I can't even start it in my neighborhood without the neighbors getting mad. I'm trying to find an exhaust system that still gives the car character and is a little loud but not to loud. Something i can cruse with and have a relatively quiet sound but open it up later and let its true power show. The bug is a 1835cc and id like to find an exhaust with a spark arrested on it so i can take it on state parks and such.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

I went with a cheap empi u bend exhaust and went to my local muffler shop and had them weld on a 12 inch glass pack muffler. They even put a turn on the end and fabbed up a hangar that I bolted to the bumper.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Royale_Fussion wrote:
So i recently bought a 1973 baja bug off someone a couple days ago and the plan is to make it my daily driver during high school. The bug currently is running a stinger and its very loud. I can't even start it in my neighborhood without the neighbors getting mad. I'm trying to find an exhaust system that still gives the car character and is a little loud but not to loud. Something i can cruse with and have a relatively quiet sound but open it up later and let its true power show. The bug is a 1835cc and id like to find an exhaust with a spark arrested on it so i can take it on state parks and such.

The only way you are going to get close to having your cake and eating it to is to put on a tunable spark arrester like a Super Trap. You can add or remove the disks that come with it. Add more to the stack or remove them entirely and you get louder. Only run a short stack and you get quieter but restrict flow to the extent you will notice a power drop. Noise is in the ear of the beholder so the question cannot be answered with just a one-piece does it all muffler. The tunable spark arrester will give you that choice altough you will have to perform a little labor changing the disks to suit you. No automatic solution unless you want to try every muffler out there until you find one that suits your particular need and sound level versus power reduction.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

I highly recommend the Flowmaster 30 series muffler. ..a very deep throaty exhaust note without the high dessible noise your neighbors are complaining about. ..my buddy has one on his 1641 and it sounds awesome. ..these mufflers are constructed of stainless steel and are guaranteed for life. ..you can sometimes find them at the U-pull it yards for a fraction of new cost...they also don't restrict air flow...there is also a mexican copycat on the market for half the cost at your local parts house that you can order. ..any muffler shop can install using your existing stinger flange, just make sure that they install a proper muffler support off the flange. Popcorn
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Get a TRI-MIL "Quiet Pack" (I believe) muffler and put it on the existing header...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It takes stinger exhaust from what it is now to this....

Still makes some noise (talks to you) but on a very acceptable level...

IF Quiet Pack muffler is not available, go to local "we be mufflers and such" and have them cut off stinger, put on "U" bend and add "spark arrest or" or a small muffler, some even have added motorcycle mufflers after "U" bend... "U" bend gets exhaust pointed down and makes noise less objectionable... and KEEPS header opening pointed DOWN so it does not COLLECT RAIN WATER...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Since this an off road forum and you asked about a spark arrester at the bottom of your post maybe you should see this. It is quoted from the Dept of Agriculture Forest Service. So if you get stopped ever for an inspection on a national forest road, you can see what they are looking for. Unfortunantly it is the reason we can not even race a Baja Bug in the states without a spark arrester.

“ Volkswagen (VW) Dune Buggies: The VWs are required to have a qualified spark arrester for off-highway use. Some dune buggies are street legal, have a license plate, and usually have a muffler. Mufflers are legal for street use, but do not qualify as a spark arrester for off-road use.

Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark. Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.

Many people think that a muffler/silencer is also a spark arrester. Mufflers and silencers are only designed for noise control. Only an inspection can determine whether this is a spark arrester or a muffler/silencer.”

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Your engine size will dictate what you use if you want the best performance. Bigger is not always better. For a smaller displacement (under 2 liters) that is not being revved above 5000 RPMs (under 2 liter) 1 3/8 works well for low end torque. I run a 1 3/8" U bend on our buggy and I cut off the bell shaped end and installed a short Supertrapp. Its not loud, but when you get on it, you know it. And its not that nasty harsh sound a stinger has.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Since this an off road forum and you asked about a spark arrester at the bottom of your post maybe you should see this. It is quoted from the Dept of Agriculture Forest Service. So if you get stopped ever for an inspection on a national forest road, you can see what they are looking for. Unfortunantly it is the reason we can not even race a Baja Bug in the states without a spark arrester.

“ Volkswagen (VW) Dune Buggies: The VWs are required to have a qualified spark arrester for off-highway use. Some dune buggies are street legal, have a license plate, and usually have a muffler. Mufflers are legal for street use, but do not qualify as a spark arrester for off-road use.

Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark. Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.

Many people think that a muffler/silencer is also a spark arrester. Mufflers and silencers are only designed for noise control. Only an inspection can determine whether this is a spark arrester or a muffler/silencer.”

I find the whole spark arrestor business bs personally. Not talking about you and the law is the law but my motorcycle has a sparky and will still shoot fire out of it lol. Technically all you need is a steel screen mesh either over or inside your exhaust, well I guess not technically because it needs to be usfs approved or whatever but that's all it is. Kind of irritating but I have had them check my bike once years ago, they stuck a bent coat hangar in the muffler and along as it hit something it was fine. Again, I agree with you and that a muffler isnt a spark arrestor but it is better then most "spark arrestors" at arresting spark.... does that make any sense? Lol
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:

I find the whole spark arrestor business bs personally. Not talking about you and the law is the law but my motorcycle has a sparky and will still shoot fire out of it lol. Technically all you need is a steel screen mesh either over or inside your exhaust, well I guess not technically because it needs to be usfs approved or whatever but that's all it is. Kind of irritating but I have had them check my bike once years ago, they stuck a bent coat hangar in the muffler and along as it hit something it was fine. Again, I agree with you and that a muffler isnt a spark arrestor but it is better then most "spark arrestors" at arresting spark.... does that make any sense? Lol

I run open mostly lol, I was just stating it because he said he wanted a spark arrester and the feedback kept talking about mufflers so I wanted to make sure there was clarity on the issue. Me, I could care less because I hate them and try to to run open as much as I can. I have just one concession, I have to run an Empi can on a U bend with the bolt on USFS spark arrester so I can take it off when driving in the street out here, but when I go to Michigan where there are Dunes and 5000 miles of logging roads and trails I can put it back on because they check constantly for spark arrestors up there. In Calif I never had to run one or at least I got away with it unless I was racing then it was always mandatory.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Anywhere on Forest Service or BLM lands an "approved" spark arrestor is required. And yet, no BLM Ranger or Forest Ranger or even my next door neighbor, the Forest Service Fire Fighter Crew Captain, has EVER checked the Quiet Pack muffler on my Baja or the Turbo muffler on my buggy. Neither is stamped "USFS Approved Spark Arrester". Nor is the muffler on any of the stock pickup trucks I see out in the desert and in the forests, nor my Durango, etc. But nobody ever checks those either.

STILL...I recommend installing a legal spark arrestor.

Man...I musta been woozy when I types that. Fixed now tho.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Here's how I did mine, I cut the stinger off and tig welded an automotive muffler to it. It was still loud so I used a U pipe and then I hung another turbo muffler off it and capped it with a supertrap and now it's nice an quiet for an air cooled VW anyway, you can really hear all of the mechanical noise they make! I made a support to go between the two mufflers, ran two aluminum straps for overall support and added the "HOT" sign from the CNC plasma cutter because where I drive it is full of stupid people who don't have the sense to not touch a hot muffler plus they are unreasonably picky about noise even though they sit in their noisy ass chinese UTV's that are way louder than I am and tell me I make too much noise. The set up is very rigid I think they just don't like the look of the thing and naturally assume that I'm racing it around like a jackass whenever I drive it. I actually just use it to go lake hopping spending the day fishing and then deer watching towards sunset. I even have fishing pole racks I made on the top of the tube frame. I'm working on a skull at the air cleaner now and making the jaw drop when the throttle moves. Mufflers, clamps and small parts all came from Amazon and was all under a hundred bucks. That little supertrapp cap muffler was the most expensive part of it all. Excessive? Probably. Effective? Very.

carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

Another vote for Flowmaster 30 series. It is loud yet not annoying.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Baja Bug. Need a better exhaust. Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste the money on a flowmaster, glasspack will work just fine lol. Mine sounds pretty damn good and I haven't had any complaints coming home at 3am from work. I would like to have some kind of clamp or coupling so I can run it open sometimes though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: