Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

it's such a sexy car John; I'm sure the Ghia collective would run a go-fund-me to get moving pictures around the countryside in the Ghia. Laughing what's your PayPal account and I will start it off with $1.00 au.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
it's such a sexy car John; I'm sure the Ghia collective would run a go-fund-me to get moving pictures around the countryside in the Ghia. Laughing what's your PayPal account and I will start it off with $1.00 au.

Don't tempt me Kevin...the funding isn't the issue as most here will tell you, it's sneaking the expenditure past the good lady. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Here's the deal. Anyone else notice there's never a video of this Ghia running or driving? I'm quite certain this Ghia is a trailer queen only. He TOWS it to these sites, takes pictures, loads it back up and takes it home. The damn thing probably doesn't even run!

We're on to you! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Here's the deal. Anyone else notice there's never a video of this Ghia running or driving? I'm quite certain this Ghia is a trailer queen only. He TOWS it to these sites, takes pictures, loads it back up and takes it home. The damn thing probably doesn't even run!

We're on to you! Laughing

Embarassed As we say in these parts..."It's a fair cop guv"...it's all done with a "green screen" on the back wall of my garage. Just download stock images from google and project them behind the Ghia. In reality I live in a desolate wasteland... Laughing

Local supermarket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...it's all done with a "green screen" on the back wall of my garage. Just download stock images from google and project them behind the Ghia. In reality I live in a desolate wasteland... Laughing

Local supermarket.
Where's the car? Did Mad Max take it and turn it into the next Road Warrior?

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

So much screen saver material.
Thank you John!! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

This weekend we see commemorated the centenary of the end of World War 1. I took a short drive to the local church where they have a cascade of poppies in remembrance of the fallen.

I remember my grandfather who died in March 1918 at Arras. I also remember all the other sons, fathers, brothers who fell...on both sides. Sad
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Awesome photo and great dedication to your Grandfather and all of the fallen. Thank you for this. As a vet of many of our recent wars, I am honored by those who went before me, specifically to my Grandfather who fought at the Battle of the Bulge! Honors to you and all those who fought for our freedom in those great wars!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This weekend we see commemorated the centenary of the end of World War 1. I took a short drive to the local church where they have a cascade of poppies in remembrance of the fallen.

I can't begin to understand how you do it but if you had said that was an oil painting of your Ghia I would have believed it. Thanks for sharing.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
I can't begin to understand how you do it but if you had said that was an oil painting of your Ghia I would have believed it. Thanks for sharing.

-----
Emil

Thanks for the compliment Emil. I've tried to analyse the difference between my style and a just straightforward out of the camera picture. TBH I can't remember the last time I produced a "straightforward out of the camera picture" and that's not to say I set myself apart but you're bound to find your own style when you've been producing pictures as a hobby for 45 years.

I could launch into a loooong explanation on how I process my pictures and why but the easiest way is to say I try to mimic the way the human eye sees the picture, which is to capture a much larger tonal range than a "straightforward out of the camera picture"

American photographer Ansel Adams adapted the "Zone System" with film stock in the 1930s to extract an extended tonal range within the limitations of traditional film. Today the same theories can be implemented in digital photography...but a lot more quickly. Smile

So yes my pictures do show a wider tonal range...but believe me your eyes would see those pictures the same way. What makes my picture different is that you're not used to seeing pictures with this extended tonal range. Go and have a look at Ansel Adams' black and white landscapes...they're magical. Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Do you do travel brochures for local travel agencies or town/hamlet chambers of commerce? If not, it could be a fun thing to look into.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation John. What stands out the most to me about the picture is the sharpness of edges and transitional lines. I can only describe it as having the contrast pushed to just before going too far.

-----
Emil

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Here we go...Autumn Colours...
Out and about this morning in what was for me quite an adventure...it rained on my Ghia!

I was impressed just how well my wipers worked...I'd forgotten. Laughing

Although the interior looks rather spartan with the front carpets removed prior to the arrival of Luis's wonderful mat set, the Ghia still drives beautifully. The supercharger provides a smooth power throughout the range. Smile
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...it rained on my Ghia!

.....so is that a call for a loan of my ultra wide lens for some perspective bending close up shots?

Photos look great... post production even better.
Nicholas
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
...it rained on my Ghia!

.....so is that a call for a loan of my ultra wide lens for some perspective bending close up shots?

Photos look great... post production even better.
Nicholas

Thanks mate...I was tempted to try some close-ups of raindrops on the lowlight wing but I thought it would compromise my style. Wink
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...but I thought it would compromise my style. Wink

ooooh, He is a bit cheeky, ain’t he Laughing
Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...it rained on my Ghia!

While that fact doesn't exactly dampen my interest in perhaps someday becoming the next caretaker of your lovely vintage Karmann Ghia after your eventual demise, it just may give me a slight bit of leverage when negotiating the price with your widow.

Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
...it rained on my Ghia!

While that fact doesn't exactly dampen my interest in perhaps someday becoming the next caretaker of your lovely vintage Karmann Ghia after your eventual demise, it just may give me a slight bit of leverage when negotiating the price with your widow.

Wink

She'll be primed to rebut your slick patter with the "Rainex" and "Permaseal"explanation why she won't be reducing the asking price. Laughing
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

I remember my grandfather who died in March 1918 at Arras. I also remember all the other sons, fathers, brothers who fell...on both sides. Sad

Beautiful sentiment, lovely picture
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:

Beautiful sentiment, lovely picture

Thanks Phil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 46

Jump to: