Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Has anyone tried out a set of the new Chinese built single port heads? I see CIP and others are selling them. Anyone here owned-ran a set and can critique them? Any ideas on manufacture...

T
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

I would think Alstrup has had a bit more exposure than most

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678514

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691923
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

IF those heads are the same OE brand heads like my new Chinese dual ports, then they should be pretty damn good.

For all who care, I took apart the heads at a friend machinist's shop and found that the new China dual port heads come with OSVAT valves and a 3 angle valve job from the box. ANALYZE THAT.

I was happy, I hope it's the same case for the new single ports.

-Frank
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
IF those heads are the same OE brand heads like my new Chinese dual ports, then they should be pretty damn good.

For all who care, I took apart the heads at a friend machinist's shop and found that the new China dual port heads come with OSVAT valves and a 3 angle valve job from the box. ANALYZE THAT.

I was happy, I hope it's the same case for the new single ports.

-Frank

Which vendor did you get them from?
uglyduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Just about every China head (dual port) I have used in my stock builds needed atleast a valve job and some had pre-worn out guides. I buy all my stock heads (and big valve) from Steve Tims, they are done right and no extra work needed, just my experiance. Only had 1 set of new single ports and they needed work, just have them checked out when you buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Do we have a shortage of singleport heads that China is making some?

christ.. singleports are dime a dozen. They are all in good shape as noboby uses them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

I would just add the extra port if I needs some...
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

christ.. singleports are dime a dozen. They are all in good shape as noboby uses them.

Wondering what you would charge for head rebuild. Blast/clean, new guides, new exhaust valves, 3 angle VJ, new springs, flycut, and fastener seat face.

the last few places I checked around here wanted $400 and 3 weeks to do them. With non china valves and springs add $100.

SP cores are great if you have the tools to rework them yourself, if not the price is crazy these days.

GEX charges around $350 a set of rebuilt SP heads. Mofoco is about $450 and you MUST SEND YOUR CORES.

New from AA direct is $215 ea

https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performanc...and-guides

There are a lot of AA DP heads running around out there and mine have over 50K of HARD miles on them with no issues. Regardless of where you get your heads ALWAYS check guide clearance. Kuhltec heads are notorious for to tight of valve clearance causing them to hang up when hot. Once set of AA i got had one tight valve, looked like they just missed that one as the others looked reamed and the tight one did not.

Not sure what casting Tims is using these days. For their race series they used to use AA 501, and OE brand for their Stage I and II once VW 043 castings dried up. Are they using AA 500 casting now?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

I have a set sitting on the shelf for 5 years.
Last buyer backed out because of a cracked exhaust boss.
Ironically
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Agree with Altewagen,

Any original single ports I am finding around here are garbage, boat anchors or seller thinks they are worth $100 each core. As well no shops anymore local doing good air cooled head work, which means probably shipping them to someone two ways ($$) plus the prices Altewagen gave. Then pray they heads are usable and they don't crack a guide boss during rebuild...(LOL)

The new heads are like $400-$430 pair shipped so you can see the allure if they are decent quality.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Sad to say because I really don’t like buying chinese products if other choices exist. But after consultations with a respected local engine builder and the parts house selling the heads along with my own observations I’ve not seen or heard of problems using these in fact upon visual inspection they are finished to a higher degree than the stuff coming from Brazil or Mexico. Only time will tell but isn’t it curious there’s no rash of failures being talked about? They’ve been on the market well over a decade now. Maybe Eppco which really were a shitty head has cast doubt on aftermarket heads, maybe it’s the taint of all things chinese, who knows?

People are quietly buying and using them and the only negative I’ve heard of came from a person that has a vested interest in selling his own brand of heads, I’d call that a conflict of interest. Common sense dictates that there could be anomalies and variations in fit, finish and quality but taken as a whole this product seems to work. Again only years later will we know for sure in the meantime I’d question the motives of those with an axe to grind. I don’t sell parts or build engines for the retail market and I don’t have a dog in the hunt.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sad to say because I really don’t like buying chinese products if other choices exist. But after consultations with a respected local engine builder and the parts house selling the heads along with my own observations I’ve not seen or heard of problems using these in fact upon visual inspection they are finished to a higher degree than the stuff coming from Brazil or Mexico. Only time will tell but isn’t it curious there’s no rash of failures being talked about? They’ve been on the market well over a decade now. Maybe Eppco which really were a shitty head has cast doubt on aftermarket heads, maybe it’s the taint of all things chinese, who knows?

People are quietly buying and using them and the only negative I’ve heard of came from a person that has a vested interest in selling his own brand of heads, I’d call that a conflict of interest. Common sense dictates that there could be anomalies and variations in fit, finish and quality but taken as a whole this product seems to work. Again only years later will we know for sure in the meantime I’d question the motives of those with an axe to grind. I don’t sell parts or build engines for the retail market and I don’t have a dog in the hunt.

Was that me? Yeah, I had very negative personal experience with those heads when they came out. I also have heard from multiple people about failures with these heads. I mean, do whatever you want, it's not my motor or warranty but after I had to warranty 3 engines with these heads because of failures, I stopped using them. Maybe they have gotten better? Also, I don't make single port heads so I have no vested interest in them not working or conflict of interest. I would actually make more money buying and reselling these compared to finding good cores and doing complete rebuilds on them. I have zero failures with the German rebuilds I do so I stick with what works. PLEASE tell me these have gotten better and I would love to start using them. Good German cores are getting few and far between.....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

IF you can do it yourself. It would be cheaper for me to buy a set of New-way cutters and guide tools than to send out a set of heads to get rebuilt. The last 8V head I sent out to get a quote on rebuilding was $1000 from the only machine shop in town I trust. We just put in a salvage engine.

LMK if you want some cores, my buddy at the ACVW shop has a few hundred SP heads collecting dirt. He could send you a few pallet loads.

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

I have a set of neway cutters!! there junk!!! Ive seen many done with them all poop for finish and concentrictricity...I personaly have never used them, but I get them from a guy so he would nolonger effup heads.... good stones are expensive, do it right.I have the 3dball carbide snazzy fancy cutterswith mulit angles and raidi for seat and guide machine I use to get the seat&shape I want then stone them after warsds to get a perfect finish.
I think if I had a singkle port and needed a set of new heads I would just put duel ports on and use a addaptor.to use the single port intake if I just had to use the oe intake.
hear is a quote from the guy I got the neways from"

" look at thses cutters!!! I changed guides and the seat isant in the center of the guide any more and it's seating on 1/3rd of the seat,you just push the cutter that way and it cuts all the way around!!!" and he thought he had fixed that head.....you cant fix stupid.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the new Chinese Single Port heads Reply with quote

Sbuggy,

I would definitely be interested in good core if he has one. My originals were 311 101 373As I only need one healthy core.

Mark was considering going the new DP route as well. I do have everything on hand to do conversion. Stock EMPI DPs are much cheaper then the SPs too.

Are the new EMPI DPs decent?
Samba Member #95
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: