Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do I start from here
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

I got my car back from the bodyshop last year. They blasted patched and primered. Got the motor running finally and some small tinkering. Started the block sand and fender and door fitting. Had some low spots, and the door fit wrong, and fender fit terrible. Sanded some more, and some more. Finally took out the wire wheel. This is what was underneath! I took it to the bodyshop because I was having no luck doing the work myself, kept blowing holes, and making it worse. What do I do now?? I am at a loss. Just want to puke.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dazoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

If anyone can offer some suggestions, I am all ears. Start building up the weld by tacking it and building it up, grind down and hope it looks better?? I was thinking about starting out with a new panel, but I am out of room for starting over.

Thanks,
Eli
Urban tank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Honestly I would just replace the panel. You will never be happy with trying to patch that
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Start over. This time, use the door and fender to align the patch.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

That must be a flat piece of metal that they tried to make convex with filler.
Dazoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

That’s what I don’t get, it was a repop panel from W West. Should of had the shape in it already.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

They must have installed it incorrectly then used filler to fox it. Best choice would be to reweld it. The panel is very slightly shaped, at the bottom it is flat with no curve, but toward the middle is a bit of a curve.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Man that's F'd up! They could have at least finished seam-welding the seam. I wonder if the massive amounts of filler on the bottom were needed to blend in the amount of filler needed to hide the incompletely welded seam? In the pic below when I did that repair, you can see it's a fairly flat panel with more curve front to back, and just a little top to bottom. If it was me, I'd grid out all the filler, seam weld the entire seam, and see what you're left with. You'd first want to put on the door and rear fender to see if they even come close to lining up. If they don't, cut it out and start over with a new panel.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Unless the piece has a slight 'dome' to it, it can only be curved from the right to the left or from the bottom to the top. To bend it both ways the metal has to be stretched. If it is domed, it really won't flex because it would try to stretch or compress the dome.

If you put a straight edge along the corner on the outside near the door opening , up and down, it will show you if it's the panel or not. It might have been the fit up was so bad that they forced it and took (some) of the convex out of it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

if you lay a straight edge length wise going from the wheel well to the door opening on the bottom, the panel should be flat.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

If you use a overlap joint , you #?*! over the ability to contour the panel after it has been welded together. With a butt weld, you can shape it after it has been welded in with a hamer and dolly.
Dazoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

I appreciate the replies, I’m just going to sit on this project for a while, save up funds, try to find a way to work through it a little at a time.

Thanks,
Eli
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

New panel there, so I would finish welding it & fit the fender & door. Every car has filler on the body to smooth it out perfect.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

I would have tried slinging it back at the so called bodyshop or asked for recompense for the work you will have to re-do Shocked
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Gross. Your only choices are to do over or cover it up.
Dazoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start from here Reply with quote

Well the deeper you dig the better it gets!!! Such is life. Guys like this give bodymen a bad name. I can’t believe that the took installing multiple patch panels and made the car actually worse then the rusty turd I started out with.
I tried to install the rear fenders last night. They won’t bolt up on the lower apron sections 1/4”-3/8” off on the bolt holes. I am getting bids from other local body shops. I also have a local friend that may just help me massage it to a decent shape, and then paint it and spend time enjoying the car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: