Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 428, 429, 430 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
KentPS wrote:
This isn't a whine...
But I've been noticing more decent looking, lower-priced early Bays in the Samba classifieds lately.
My guess is people are putting them up for sale after they get their summer's use of them.

This is the trend I see at the Pomona Swap Meet as well. Prices go up in Spring, as well as the number of cars going up for sale at the end of summer and before the holiday season.

This is pretty much the trend of selling lots of things. Not just buses. End of Fall beginning of Spring - Renewal, rejoice life........ that kind of stuff. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Do you think many owners don't realize what they're buying into? Or do you think many cars sold by people who didn't respect them require too much work (labor OR cost) to get them to an acceptable driving state? I would not drive 95% of the buses I see at the swap meet home from the swap meet. Crying or Very sad

I really think it was more common for the average male to be able to check oil and adjust dwell and valves back then. The skills of changing a flat tire has become knowing who to call when you're on the side of the road or having FLAPS replace your battery or wipers. Its sad. But hey, they can play video games! Im starting to sound like an old man. Confused
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Do you think many owners don't realize what they're buying into? Or do you think many cars sold by people who didn't respect them require too much work (labor OR cost) to get them to an acceptable driving state? I would not drive 95% of the buses I see at the swap meet home from the swap meet. Crying or Very sad

I really think it was more common for the average male to be able to check oil and adjust dwell and valves back then. The skills of changing a flat tire has become knowing who to call when you're on the side of the road or having FLAPS replace your battery or wipers. Its sad. But hey, they can play video games! Im starting to sound like an old man. Confused

I recently went to get a battery in my wife's newer car and I was surprised when the guy at O'Reilly's came out and installed it too.
I don't know if they do wipers too, maybe.
I guess no one can swap a battery themselves anymore?
I had my tools with me to do it myself. Wink

We had to call AAA to get our rental car jumped on a trip last week and I guess AAA sends out a van full of batteries now to swap stuff out for you, if needed.
That's kind of nice, not sure if it costs more money to get a battery from them though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Mispeld wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I recently went to get a battery in my wife's newer car and I was surprised when the guy at O'Reilly's came out and installed it too.
I don't know if they do wipers too, maybe.
I guess no one can swap a battery themselves anymore?
I had my tools with me to do it myself. Wink

We had to call AAA to get our rental car jumped on a trip last week and I guess AAA sends out a van full of batteries now to swap stuff out for you, if needed.
That's kind of nice, not sure if it costs more money to get a battery from them though.

Keep in mind that the GenXer's myself included made the generation after us. We parents and Grandparents(you baby boomer grumps) raised them. My kids know how to change a spare, replace a battery and have a general knowledge of auto workings. To sit and whine about them is to point out the laziness and general failure in the generation before them. Wink

Make a difference in your life. Teach a Millennial how to drive stick or write in cursive. You will feel better about yourself. Laughing Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Makes me happy that this one is mine;

This is the best handy pic from the gallery that I could find.
But it does not show her changing a tire... nor does it show her adjusting the timing, repacking CV joints, replacing the brake shoes, pulling the engine, replacing the brake booster, replacing the king pin, adjusting the tie rods, or any of the other gazillion things she has learned how to do.

There is some modicum amount of faith we can put in any group. The individuals just have to care. Would I be comfortable letting my daughter drive across the country alone?... well - no. Not because she can't fix pretty much every damn thing on her bus, but because I don't trust anyone else she may encounter along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2230078

Does anyone think the girl comes with it for this price? Shocked

https://youtu.be/W9BIEnKhktc

(By the way, I’d rather have one that can change a tire or adjust the valves. Good work Andrewtf and Notchboy) Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I don't know what generation I fall into (I'm a few years newer than my bus), but I'm not surprised at the decline in many hands on skills. Technology marches on Rolling Eyes
I know it's a cliche, but anyone here still practiced at making buggy whips? Wink

The question that concerns me is...
At some point in the not too distant future, human controlled vehicles will be made illegal on roads as our transportation infrastructure evolves.
What will happen to our beloved classic Buses/VWs/cars then?

I'm fairly certain I'll be able to drive my bus until I die. I won't be upset if they kick me off the interstates. I don't like them anyway. Cool

What's going to happen to the market for these old cars as they become unusable? Shocked

My 1968 Campmobile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2230078

Does anyone think the girl comes with it for this price? Shocked

https://youtu.be/W9BIEnKhktc

(By the way, I’d rather have one that can change a tire or adjust the valves. Good work Andrewtf and Notchboy) Very Happy

Ha I guess they are done Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I disagree, you're past starting.

When did this happen? Everyone I knew in Buffalo NY could jump a car before they were out of diapers.
BusBear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212873

One too many zeros... Shocked Shocked
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232018

"Can be built..." HAHAHA that frame is F^#&ed. You can build it by taking parts off of it and putting them on a non smashed up bus.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

That reminds me not to long ago I went to oreillys and the kid at the counter didn't know what points were I about lost it. (laughing)

And some people don't know how to set them and they can't figure out why the car doesn't run.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Well if this isn't an integrity question of the day, idk what is:
"I work for a popular magazine/blog that discusses cars. I need to sell my car, but its kinda crappy and I likely wont get top dollar. Should I
A) sell it for what its worth
B) Try to just sell it for more than its worth
or
C) Make a video of me talking up how awesome the vehicle is and how much I love it and wouldn't drive anything else, then post it all over the internet roughly 2-4 weeks before I try to sell it. This should make sure someone pays top dollar for my lump of junk!

hmm...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235805

wtf has this world come to...

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for this Westy ad being used for scams, it's been posted on this site a couple times already:

If you see it posted here by a new user, please hit "Report" in the ad and use the "Scam" report reason.

They have tried to post it 20+ times over the past few days.
Most of them got auto-blocked but a couple got through and were up for a few hours.

Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Here is a parts bus.... with few salvageable parts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2238436

It should be $350, not $3500. Rolling Eyes

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Here is a parts bus.... with few salvageable parts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2238436

It should be $350, not $3500. Rolling Eyes

Nah.. $349!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

72 makes the big time Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2143796

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Wow... no front vents, grafted roof from a split, nice cheap coil, and 60k+ lol

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

That one gets my vote as "Most Hideous Bus of 2018". Shocked

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

That one gets my vote as "Most Hideous Bus of 2018". Shocked

I'd roll the shit out of that. The roof is not a grafted split, look at the contours. It is a very well done custom job. The same attempt could have been made by some novice hack, but this is well executed. Now....purists please continue to rant. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 428, 429, 430 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 429 of 490

Jump to: