Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Syncro 16 Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Here is a list in german of all the pins on the rear of the fuse box:

http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_a.html#zentralelektrik

Thank you very much for this one. I knew somebody had to be thinking along the same lines as me!

For anyone else looking at it who is not familiar with the German language the Google "Translator" worked very well to bring the webpage over into English.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&t...mp;act=url

Then you could copy and paste the spreadsheet directly from the webpage into your spreadsheet.
There is the pdf download, but it also is in German.

We can thank Raimund Feussner for taking the time to map out the pinout for the electrics.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my Westy syncro 16. It seems that the N code Boges are indeed nla. The earlier post about N code shocks doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As I read it they are claiming that their shock is the correct one for both the M code (14" syncro) and the N code (16" syncro). So first off if i'm not understanding something, someone please enlighten me.

I did find a listing for a specific 16" shock on the Bilstein site: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-247245/88403/4WD.

Does anybody know anything about these? Actually the greater question is: Just how does the N code shock differ from the M code one? Thinking about shocks the only difference I can come up with, assuming fitment, and overall length, is the amount of force required to compress the shock. What else is involved? If there is a real engineer who understands these things I'd love to hear the explanation. Thanks.

I'm planning on calling someone at Bilstein to se if I can track down an employee to learn about these. I'll share any info I gather.

Just for info, I crawled under a Syncro 16" Westy,low miles one owner, front shocks are 251413031M Wink
Rear springs are 2 green stripes. Front ones I couldn't see....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

I have a 16" double cab for sale...
PM your emailadres for more information if interested...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

So here is a new idea for a extra fuel tank, but it is dependent on the weight capability of the stock spare tire carrier.

Trail Trekker II
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Their website:
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287

Installation video:

Link

Somewhere in their website they state that it weighs 100 lbs.
So I remember from my Landrover days that the spare tire on the 16" steel wheel weighed 75lbs.

I am wondering if the stock spare tire mount as attached to the "D" Pillar can support the extra 100 lbs?

I'm not crazy enough about the bumper or Rear Spare tire carriers offerings from the vendors right now to pay the $$$ they are asking for them. Or if the way they are attached can support 175 lbs. total weight.

What do you guys think?

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

I have a factory spare mount currently holding the heavy as heck 16" steel wheel, a BF Good T/A tire, two 2 gallon Rotopax & a Trasharoo that's usually holding about 10-15 lbs of stuff. So figure that's (4x6.3=) 25.2 lbs of fuel, say 4.8 more for the Rotopax & locks so we're at 30lbs plus 15 and we get to 45 lbs over and above.

I've never noticed any strain on the system at this weight even on long trips with rough roads (Baja). Could it deal with +/- 50 lbs more? I think it could, but as your tag line says: "This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it."

PS It looks like a pretty cool system. I've been less than impressed with the quality of Rotopax. Their nozzles suck and break easily and I've had two fuel pacs leak on me. Having said that, their customer service is top notch and both leakers were immediately replaced with no hassle.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

PS It looks like a pretty cool system. I've been less than impressed with the quality of Rotopax. Their nozzles suck and break if even look at them funny and I've had two fuel pacs leak on me. Having said that, their customer service is top notch and both leakers were immediately replaced with no hassle.

Thanks for the info on the Rotopax because they were in the running for gas/water options.
Not anymore! Smile

toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

A little tease on a stale thread. Mike Plompen found me this 16" a couple weeks ago. It will be a Christmas before I see it at home.
One question I didn't see answered. I have some 15" aluminum wheels with 225/75r15 BFGs will these fit on 16" brakes or should I sell them with my syncro 14"? Thanks

Last edited by toomanyveedubs on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
A little tease on a stale thread. Mike Plompen found me this 16" a couple weeks ago. It will be a Christmas before I see it at home.
One question I didn't see answered. I have some 15" aluminum wheels with 22575r15 BFGs will these fit on 16" brakes or should I sell them with my syncro 14"? Thanks

What wheels exactly do you have?

I have never seen a 16 inch syncro with 15 inch alloys, and I do not think it will fit over the front brakes. In the rear there is no problem fitting 15 inch wheels. Maybe if the Et was low enough they could fit in the front.

But why "downgrade" a 16 inch syncro?
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Sell the alloys with your 14" Syncro.

The 16" OEM Syncro rims are bulletproof although they're a bit on the heavy side.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:
One question I didn't see answered. I have some 15" aluminum wheels with 22575r15 BFGs will these fit on 16" brakes or should I sell them with my syncro 14"? Thanks

I have never seen a 16 inch syncro with 15 inch alloys, and I do not think it will fit over the front brakes. In the rear there is no problem fitting 15 inch wheels. Maybe if the Et was low enough they could fit in the front.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:

The "downgrade" as you put it was because I have a set of 5 of these wheels with only 16,000 kms on the BFG MudTerrain tires. I actually have 3 sets of 15" wheels for my 14", some 15" steel, some Ronal R9 (with snows) and these.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Hi,
Regarding the front brake hose on the Syncro 16 I just wanted to confirm that the hose does indeed have a male end and a female end before I go buying a replacement.

Both GoWesty and Van Cafe are showing hoses with two female ends.
In Lloydy's post he is saying one male and one female end.

Unless that was part of his mod to the Girling G60 caliper using a male end into the G60 because he is showing a picture of the original hose which looks like two female ends.
Thanks.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:

The stock ET for the Syncro 16 is 30 so you should do okay by that.
I'll measure the inside diameter of a steel wheel today and report back.

Not sure what the diameter required for stock brakes is, but if you decide to upgrade those these probably will not work.
Though the thing about the stock steel wheel and brake upgrades is the rim is basically flat across the center so when you do upgrade brake the issue is the brake caliper hitting the wheel.
These look deep enough...but they just ain't 16" steelies and that's just sacrilege! Shame on you Laughing Laughing Laughing

toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

These look deep enough...but they just ain't 16" steelies and that's just sacrilege! Shame on you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hope i dont anger the Syncro 16" gods but i already have these and haven't seen any CLKs for sale for some time or any 16" Ronal R9s....

Inside diameter of my 15" wheel is +14.5" all the way.

Anybody running 17" wheels on a syncro??? tire size?? Maybe i swap these on instead?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Well the gods are laughing at us mortals and brake upgrades!

Steel wheels overall inside 15.5". (don't mind the Moab dust, went to the carwash afterwards.)

Thought this might be the most accurate way to decide if you measure from your side of the rim to center of Lug hole because you're going on the same plane where it sits on the hub.

Bolt hole center to inside of wheel. Looks like 4-21/32nds of an inch.

Through the air vent hole

Girling G60 single puck visible. Not really accurate because you are looking at the shadow line of the inside edge of the wheel and not where the brake caliper is.

A bit closer to G60 single puck's inside clearence to inside of wheel

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Good info, thanks Steve. I'll wait for the truck to show up and see if they fit.

Anyone run a "stock" size tire like this or what are you using? I like the extra gearing a tall tire provides but don't appreciate the weight penalty that generally goes with it.

TireRack sells a GRIP CLASSIC - SIZE: 205/0R16 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
that measures 29" tall from the Netherlands.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Steve M. Regarding the brake hoses on a 16 I just replaced mine before the current Mexico trip. I got the standard syncro metal hoses from Burley, they worked like a charm.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
Good info, thanks Steve. I'll wait for the truck to show up and see if they fit.

Anyone run a "stock" size tire like this or what are you using? I like the extra gearing a tall tire provides but don't appreciate the weight penalty that generally goes with it.

TireRack sells a GRIP CLASSIC - SIZE: 205/0R16 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
that measures 29" tall from the Netherlands.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

Some very useful gear ratio vs. tire size charts on here to download.
http://syncro.org/how-to-fix-a-vw-syncro/

(Actually I would copy and paste everything on that page as websites are slowly disappearing.)

I'm running Nokian Rotiva+ All seasons 225/75/R16 @29.3" dia.
I'm seeing 70mph @ 4000rpm with 5.83 Ring and Pinion ratio.
With a stock 2.1wbx the power is acceptable for me on acceleration. I have not had them on snow to know how good they are...yet. Off-road they did not give me any disappointments this past summer.
They're about $140.00 at
https://simpletire.com/nokian-lt225-75r16-t429388-tires

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Steve M. Regarding the brake hoses on a 16 I just replaced mine before the current Mexico trip. I got the standard syncro metal hoses from Burley, they worked like a charm.

Thanks for that info. the end of this month I'll be changing them out so good to know where to get them.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro 16 Thread Reply with quote

I've a few questions about axle shaft assemblies and the Front Diff-Lock.

I have seen two separate part numbers for axle shaft assemblies:
251407271J and 251407271JX

I am fairly certain the designating "J" is only for 14" and the 16" without the Diff-Lock.

My real question is whether or not the "JX" designation is for the 16" with the Diff-Lock?

Does anyone know what the difference in having the diff-lock
- does it shorten the shaft?
- is it just the diameter of the CV joint that makes the difference between the shafts?

Here's what brought this up. Seeing the same part number in the oem comparisons of this info I found online.
-------------------------------------
251407271J vs. 251407271JX?
complete front shaft assembly

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/skf-15041.html

Drive Shaft Front Axle Left, Front Axle Right, 714mm SKF
Parts Details : Article №: VKJC 7883 Manufacturer: SKF

Fitting Position: Front Axle Left, Front Axle Right
Length [mm]: 714
Outer gearing wheel side: 26
Wheel-side joint diameter [mm]: 90
Transmission-side joint diameter [mm]: 100
Seal Diameter [mm]: 56, 64,8
Thread Size: M20x1.5
Bolt Hole Circle Ø [mm]: 86
Number of Bores: 6
Bore Ø [mm]: 8.3

oem comparison:
VW OE-251 407 271
VW OE-251 407 271 BX
VW OE-251 407 271 JX
VW OE-251 407 271 L

TecDoc equivalents

GENERAL RICAMBI: WW3139
LÖBRO: 301623
QUINTON HAZELL: T670
SPIDAN: 23516

----------------------------------------------
Parts Details
Article №: 23516 Manufacturer: SPIDAN
Construction year to: 02/1992
Fitting Position: Front Axle Left, Front Axle Right

Transmission Type: Manual Transmission
Differential: without differential lock
Length [mm]: 711.5
Outer gearing wheel side: 26
Wheel-side joint diameter [mm]: 90
Transmission-side joint diameter [mm]: 100
Seal Diameter [mm]: 65
Thread Size: M20X1.5
Service exchange part:
Bolt Hole Circle Ø [mm]: 86
Number of Bores: 6
Bore Ø [mm]: 8.

oem comparison
AUDI - SEAT - SKODA - VW OE-251407271B
AUDI - SEAT - SKODA - VW OE-251407271BX
AUDI - SEAT - SKODA - VW OE-251407271H
AUDI - SEAT - SKODA - VW OE-251407271J
AUDI - SEAT - SKODA - VW OE-251407271JX

TecDoc equivalents

GSP: 261092
LÖBRO: 301623
QUINTON HAZELL: T670
SKF: VKJC 7883

------------------------------------------------------
These above have the Front Inner at 100mm so they do not fit the 16" 98mm w/locker. So they must be for 14" Syncro's and 16" Syncro's without the locker.

Now if it is the same shaft using the same number of splines as the 14" without the diff-lock if you needed a new outer front CV Joint you could install a 14" outer CV Joint and change the Inner CV Joint to match the Diff?
(I'm not going to do that 'cause mine is staying 16" all the way, but asking the question for clarification.)

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: