Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Anybody installed a Vintage VDub IRS conversion kit...I have one I bought several years back before my cancer fight started, just getting back to installing and have spring plate issues...cant get any answers out of them or return phone calls...

The adjustable spring plates seem to have bigger ends, by this I mean the ends that go into the torsion bar housing with the rubber mounts, they are larger in diameter and will not just push into the housing like the stock plates do..even using a little help from a dead blow and some poly lube, if I do get them to go in using the plate cover and the bolts when I take the cover off the plate will literally "pop" out of the housing.... any advise??

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have the same problem here with adjistable spring plates. But even whitout the rubbers in between i can not get the cover of the torsiebars over it...
The plates seem to be to thick...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Filipke wrote:
I have the same problem here with adjistable spring plates. But even whitout the rubbers in between i can not get the cover of the torsiebars over it...
The plates seem to be to thick...

Who supplied these? They should have spacers to make up for the thicker (double) plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have the horseshoe as I call them spacers that were provided with my kit, but the bushing is still my issue I even went with the stock rubber bus bushing but it won't fit over the spring plate without ALLOT of help but still will not seat in the torsion tube....

My kit is from Bruce at Vintage VDub

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I got a friend Who has bouth a set from https://type2detectives.com/collections/suspension...onor-parts

He has rubbers bushes That are wither on the inside diameter.

I am going to try and adjust my bushings. I have flipped them inside out an then hold them against a grinder. Then Flip them again. That way i have made the inner circle larger...

I got my set Together with the bus.
At That time i didn't took the time to check everything out, and did not have That info About al those things. Now i am placing this and run into a problem every now and then...
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I am installing my handbrakes or meergebruikerssysteem brakes on a Splitbus 64
I have irs of a Beetle and type 3 brakes

The handbrake cable That i have seems to be to short.
I know i have to shorten the spring and i have a small bushing/adaptor where the cable Goes into the back of the brakes.

Do i just need to switch the left side with the right one? So the hole fir the handbrake is at the top instead of at the bottom?

This is What i have right now...
tdubz510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: lowered bus and tire choices Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

In these pics I have changed the rear tires to 205/65's on custom offset rims. I had the outer hoop removed and moved outward 5/8" for springplate clearance for the wider tire.

I can't find a good pic of the tires from before this change.

Those wheels look NICE!
Who did the custom offset rear rims??
I like that idea A LOT..

Very Happy
Todd
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

My rear wheel cylinders are leaking....my 62 has IRS but I don't know what drums were used.

What is the easiest way to find out?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
My rear wheel cylinders are leaking....my 62 has IRS but I don't know what drums were used.

take pics, post them here, we will help
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
jeffff wrote:

take pics, post them here, we will help

Here ya go:

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: lowered bus and tire choices Reply with quote

tdubz510 wrote:

Those wheels look NICE!
Who did the custom offset rear rims??
I like that idea A LOT..

Very Happy
Todd

Watt Wheel in Spokane, WA. They are no longer in business after something like 50 years of doing wheel work.

Other places will do this job for you. It's pretty simple. As I recall it was about $75 to do both.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I'd like opinions on getting dropped spindles vs. an adjustable beam. I have plans to put a ball joint beam from a '69 bus in my DC, and was wondering for a mild lowering job (1"-2.5") if there are reasons to go one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
collinscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
I'd like opinions on getting dropped spindles vs. an adjustable beam. I have plans to put a ball joint beam from a '69 bus in my DC, and was wondering for a mild lowering job (1"-2.5") if there are reasons to go one way or the other.

I have both 2" narrowed adjustable beam, and drop spindles on my DC. Tricky part about the adjustable beam is welding the adjusters in the correct position for how low you want the bus to be. I welded mine when I was 16, so naturally it is now (11 years later) much lower than I prefer it to be.

I like the adjustable beam, now has been moved to the "bottom" of the adjusters (raising the bus) and sits very nice and rides well. Pro Adjusters due to the flexibility of dialing in the ride height as you finalize tire size, and in my case - how heavy you are to get the bus to sit just right.

Drop spindles are nice, due to the fact there's now extra fab work to set up the beam.

There are definitely others here that have more experience but that's my 2 cents.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

collinscott wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

I have both 2" narrowed adjustable beam, and drop spindles on my DC. Tricky part about the adjustable beam is welding the adjusters in the correct position for how low you want the bus to be. I welded mine when I was 16, so naturally it is now (11 years later) much lower than I prefer it to be.

I like the adjustable beam, now has been moved to the "bottom" of the adjusters (raising the bus) and sits very nice and rides well. Pro Adjusters due to the flexibility of dialing in the ride height as you finalize tire size, and in my case - how heavy you are to get the bus to sit just right.

Drop spindles are nice, due to the fact there's now extra fab work to set up the beam.

There are definitely others here that have more experience but that's my 2 cents.

Oh yeah - you have the ruby red walkthrough! That's a beautiful DC! Glad you finally finished it. Or at least got it driveable. I was following that thread in 2010 when it went dead, was happy to see some closure to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

when lowered just one spline with RGB's, would a sealed oil bearing be advised? Do I need to notch the spring plate?

I'd like to keep my stock tranny with RGB and just have a mild drop, so not two splines or flipped RGB's.

Any advise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, after rear plate install. on the horseshoe side of the plate that goes around axle tube there appears to be forward and back slides, is there a procedure for setting that?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Vintagespeed wrote:
when lowered just one spline with RGB's, would a sealed oil bearing be advised? Do I need to notch the spring plate?

I'd like to keep my stock tranny with RGB and just have a mild drop, so not two splines or flipped RGB's.

Any advise?

One spline inner, or one spline outer? They are different and you will get different results with each.

I would advise combining adjustments of inner and outer to achieve the amount of drop you want, then find out if bearings may be an issue.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlp336 wrote:
hey all, after rear plate install. on the horseshoe side of the plate that goes around axle tube there appears to be forward and back slides, is there a procedure for setting that?

Those are for adjusting your toe-in setting. In my experience, they need to be slid all the way to the back of the notch. Yours may be different.

Toe-in and camber change with ride height, load, and bumps. You need to dial it in with the bus full of its normal weight load, and with the suspension settled in after rolling forward a bit. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it just right.
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Carlp336 wrote:

Those are for adjusting your toe-in setting. In my experience, they need to be slid all the way to the back of the notch. Yours may be different.

Toe-in and camber change with ride height, load, and bumps. You need to dial it in with the bus full of its normal weight load, and with the suspension settled in after rolling forward a bit. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it just right.

thanks!
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Carlp336 wrote:

measure the same target and method as front toe ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 93 of 100

Jump to: