Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bays and trailers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Sorry to be nosey, but what's under the covered roof against the wall behind those 2 chairs ?

Djoul wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Sorry to be nosey, but what's under the covered roof against the wall behind those 2 chairs ?

Djoul wrote:

VW181 Thing
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Picked up this rough Passau this weekend.

Still needs (a lot) of work. But I'm pleased with how it looks!
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
panel wrote:

VW181 Thing

yes it's a 181 Wink

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
baumer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

I don't have too much info on the Chateau Portal Trailer. It's a tilt-dump trailer, and from what I could find, it looks like a u-build "partial assembly required" from a department store circa late 70's early 80's. 200 lb weight and 1,100 lb capacity. I fully rebuilt it, welded the frame where needed, new hubs/bearings, wheels/tires and wiring. I have the Jamie Rivers front and rear hitches. It's been on a couple of very successful trips and thousands of km's, and now a travel essential.

Aaron &
Vicki - 78 Riviera
wintermute56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

freeway flyer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:

Is that non used hitch really attached with chains?... sigb.... I hope not.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Can't believe I forgot to post this here.

Here is my Wild Westerner helping move my wife's stuff from her apartment to my house back in January.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
MonkeySee wrote:

Is that non used hitch really attached with chains?... sigb.... I hope not.

It is. That’s how they did temp hitches back in the days of big solid chrome bumpers. This one is actually a U-Haul rented hitch one would rent when renting their trailers. I don’t pull anything with it but it keeps officers from calling my tag-a-long a trailer and keeps me from required trailer tag.
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnoroian wrote:

Do these trailers use a spring/rubber torsion or are they suspended by the rubber for the dampening? Ive seen zero fittings so I know they are greased but do they move freely. I can't seem to find the answer. Thanks Rippers for the pics.

Hi, what brand tires are you running on that Essen?
Like them Cool
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

This is our 1976 Sage Green Westfalia Sweet Pickle and her 1980'ish Coleman Caboose Trailer we call Pepper. It weighs 160 lbs empty and has a max load capacity of 750 lbs. The clam shell top can be opened to either side though the supports that prop it open are meant for the right side. You store it by removing the top turning it upside down and placing it in the base. It then can stand on it's end against the garage wall. Our hitch is one made by Jamie Rivers (http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayhitch.htm) and it works great, I can remove the hitch and store it when not using and save my shins. The trailer is suited well for hauling tents, awnings, chairs and whatever else we use to carry on the inside or in the luggage rack of the bus, though I would not put anything delicate in there with it's leaf spring suspension. Much more comfortable for the people in back as we travel. When driving you barely know it is there and we can cruise 65mph easily (on flat ground of course Laughing ). We had someone reproduce the stickers (pictures are of the original stickers) for the sides and put new wheels and tires on it.

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Trailer was full up to the top of the canvas top and the rest was in the bus. A madrone tree down from our last winter storm.

Just a regular guy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

I recently found the following picture posted by “72boughitnew” in The Samba Gallery, of his 1972 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervan with an otherwise unidentified ERDE trailer, which is not featured in any of the topic threads in The Samba forums:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1232826

« This is the trailer we towed from 2000 thru 2009. All of our supplies were packed inside. The trailer is an Erde (French). For many years we used the top rack for things we could fit inside. But the trailer proved to be far more convenient. »

I have since been told that the above illustrated ERDE trailer, is an ERDE 122, which I have discovered has an all-up maximum weight of 400 kg.

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002749/ERDE_122

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/122.jpg

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-leisure-trailers/#122

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-122-trailer-overview/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-122-trailer-specification/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/assembly-instructions-for-an-erde-122-trailer-2/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-122-hard-top-cover-fitting-instructions/

Having already acquired very-cheap, second-hand towing brackets more than 20 years ago, for both my 1973 VW “1600” Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan and 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 “HL Special”, I have long been considering the acquisition of a cheap second-hand trailer and have kept a “weather-eye” open for one since getting the towing brackets.

Circa two years ago, I saw an ERDE 163 trailer about ten minutes’ walk from my home, which prompted me to consider having an ERDE trailer, but when I checked the new & second-hand prices of these on British E-bay and elsewhere, it seemed unlikely that I could ever afford one!

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002754/ERDE_163

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/category/erde-commercial-trailers/erde-163-trailer-erde-commercial-trailers/

http://www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-163-trailer-specification/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/assembly-instructions-for-erde-163-and-193-trailers/

The ERDE 163 has an unladen weight of 150 kg, maximum payload of 600 kg and a maximum all-up weight of 750 kg, which is 100 kg more than may legally be used with a 1968~79 VW Type 2 in Great Britain, so the only advantage in having this trailer model would be the larger volumetric capacity.

I am currently in the process of finalising the acquisition of an ultra-cheap (i.e. offered to me at no cost, by some recent acquaintances who are having a major clear-out of unwanted items!), second-hand, ERDE 142 un-braked, general-purpose & camping trailer.

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002750/ERDE_142

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/category/erde-leisure-trailer-details/erde-142-trailer/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-142-overview/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-142-trailer-specification/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/assembly-instructions-for-an-erde-142-trailer/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-142-hard-top-fitting-instructions/

It’s debatable whether I would ever need to use the ERDE 142 trailer for camping, but its volumetric and circa 500 kg load capacity, would certainly make it useful for transporting building & gardening supplies and other things, such as cement, sand, ballast, bricks, blocks, paving-slabs, horse-manure, soil, compost and plants, etc.

An all-up maximum weight of 600 kg, is the maximum weight of un-braked trailer specified in the official Volkswagen-factory published, 1973 VW 1600 & 1700 Type 2 owners’ handbook. In Great Britain we are legally restricted to towing un-braked trailers having a maximum all-up weight of either 750 kg or half the kerb-weight of the towing vehicle (i.e. 0•5 x 1300 kg = 650 kg in the case of a 1973 VW Type 2 Kombi), whichever is the lower figure.

Hence, the ERDE 142 with its all-up maximum weight of 600 kg, has probably the largest payload of un-braked trailers, that a 1968~79 VW Type 2 might reasonably tow. The ERDE 142 model was super ceded at some stage by the ERDE 143 trailer, which also has an all-up maximum weight of 600 kg and appears to be virtually identical with the exception of being 50 mm deeper!

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002751/ERDE_143

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/category/erde-leisure-trailer-details/erde-143-trailer/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-143-trailer-overview/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-143-trailer-specification/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/assembly-instructions-for-an-erde-143-trailer/

www.erdetrailer.co.uk/erde-143-hard-top-fitting-instructions/

The ERDE 142 trailer, which is one of several sizes & varieties of ERDE trailer, is described on one British trailer website as follows:

https://trailers.co.uk/Trailer

https://trailers.co.uk/Trailer/ERDE_Camping

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002750/ERDE_142

« The Erde 142 Trailer offers good value to volume and is ideal for use as a camping trailer and carrying garden waste etc. »

« It is constructed from galvanised steel for strength and to protect against corrosion, extending the life of the trailer. The Erde 142 is capable of carrying a net load weight of 505 kg and is fitted with torsion suspension to improve the ride. »

« The trailer also features a tipping mechanism and a removeable tailgate, making loading and unloading far easier, especially with bulk materials such as earth, sand and gravel. »

« Recessed light clusters, a feature on all Erde trailers allow for a high level of protection against damage and on the smaller models of trailer such as the 142 allow the trailer to be stored vertically on its end. This significantly reduces the area required to store the trailer when not in use. »

Model Code ERDE 142
Material Galvanised Steel
Internal Length (mm) - (ft in) 1440 - 4’ 9’
Internal Width (mm) - (ft in) 990 - 3’ 3’
Internal Height (mm) - (ft in) 350 - 1’ 2’
External Length (mm) - (ft in) 2240 - 7’ 4’
External Width (mm) - (ft in) 1400 - 4’ 7’
External Height (mm) - (ft in) 910 - 3’
Gross Capacity (kg) 600
Estimated Payload (kg) 505
Number of Axles 1
Wheel Position Yes
Tyre Size 500 x 10
Unladen Weight (kg) 95

I haven’t yet had the opportunity to closely examine the trailer, but as the saying goes, “never look a gift-horse in the mouth”. From a distance, it appears to be in quite good condition, but I have been told that the rear lights are broken and the rest of the associated electrical system might need refurbishment or replacement; both of which I can readily accomplish on a DIY basis; including the fitting of a 7-core lighting cable.

I already have a length of spiral 7-core lighting cable with 7-pin plugs on either end, which I bought cheaply in a stock-clearance sale at Halfords several years ago, so instead of fitting a 7-pin plug to the towing-hitch end of the trailer’s 7-core lighting cable, I might instead terminate it with a static 7-pin socket, which avoids having a loose length of trailing cable & plug that might more easily get damaged.

I have been told that the only lights on the trailer, are tail/brake lights (i.e. 5/21W filament bulbs) and direction indicators (i.e. 21W filament bulbs), plus a licence-plate illumination light of some sort I suspect.

In Great Britain, there is a legal requirement for the trailer to bear the same licence plate number as the towing vehicle, so in due course I shall need to get two different plates made up (corresponding to the VW Type 2 and Triumph Toledo), with fasteners that I can be readily removed so that the plates can be swopped over.

There is said to be no rear fog light on the trailer, so I suspect it was manufactured before 1st April 1980, given that a trailer of overall-width greater than 1300 mm (the ERDE 142 has an overall-width of 1400 mm), manufactured on or after this date, is legally required in Great Britain to have at least one, but preferably two fitted.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, UK Statutory Instruments 1989, No. 1796, Schedules 1 & 11

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made

Although neither my 1973 VW Type 2 or 1974 Triumph Toledo are legally required to have them owing to their age, I equipped both of these vehicles with a matched pair of rear fog lights for safety reasons, and I intend to do the same with the ERDE 142 trailer. Again for safety reasons, I shall probably also equip the trailer with side-marker lights, which would only be a legal requirement for much longer trailers.

The ERDE 142 trailer, is believed to have 10 inch diameter wheels with 115 mm PCD, that would normally be fitted with tyres of size 500 x 10 or the radial-ply equivalent, with a load index greater than 66 and load rating greater than 300 kg. If the trailer doesn’t already have a spare wheel & tyre, I shall need to obtain one at some time. The BLMC Austin-Morris Mini typically had 10 inch diameter wheels, but I presently don’t have any information about their centre-bore diameter or PCD.

A variety of different accessories are still available for the ERDE 142 trailer, but they are far from cheap! Those that I would seek to acquire cheaply second-hand, if the trailer does not already have them, are: (a) anti-theft coupling & hitch locks; (b) spare-wheel mount and spare wheel & tyre; (c) load-compartment cover; and (d) jockey wheel. I shall probably consider a few more items in the future, which might include rope-cleats, strap-bridges, ratchet straps and a cargo-net!

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003588

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003589

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003592

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003606

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003613

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003632

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003634

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003635

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003636

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003637

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003638

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003640

https://trailers.co.uk/Accessory/0000003687

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

I have since managed to find an Internet link for ERDÉ & Daxara in France, for which the postal address and contact details are as follows:

https://www.erde.fr/

https://www.erde.fr/contact

ERDÉ, Rue du Moulin, 21910 SAULON-LA-CHAPELLE

Phone: +33 (0)3 80 79 16 16
Fax: +33 (0)3 80 39 77 80

Saulon-la-Chapelle is located in Grid-Square-B1, on Page 88 of my 34-year old, 192-page, Michelin road atlas of France, which has a scale of 1:200,000 (i.e. 10 mm => 2 km or approximately 1 inch => 3 miles), which I was finally able to buy in 1988, for our tour of Normandy & Brittany; having previously experienced occasional navigation problems in France during 1975~87, using smaller-scale maps.

Michelin Motoring Atlas of France, Hamlyn Publishing Group, 1987, ISBN 0-600-55053-2.

It states that Saulon-la-Chapelle is located in Département 21 – Côtes du Nord, and the map shows it to be west of the Canal de Bourgogne, between Routes D968 and D996, about 10 km south-south-east of Dijon; a town in which I got lost in 1980, on our way to Switzerland, in our 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan, and had to stop and ask for help from a gendarme outside the police station.

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > 41+ Years with a VW Kombi: There's Never Been a Dull Moment!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651954

Forum Index > Reader's Rides > Nigel A. Skeet's 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237803

There appear to be a few ranges of braked and un-braked, ERDÉ and Daxara trailers, but I can find no mention of the un-braked ERDÉ 142 or ERDÉ 143 trailers, which might no longer be manufactured.

The ERDÉ 102, 122, 153 & 163 trailers are still listed. The ERDÉ 153 trailer has the same length & width dimensions as the ERDÉ 142 & 143 trailers, but is much heavier and has a heavy-duty A-frame towing hitch.

https://www.erde.fr/store/erde-classic/non-freinee

https://www.erde.fr/store/accessoires/erde-classic

https://www.erde.fr/product/remorques-lc-242-fr-bois

https://www.erde.fr/product/remorques-erde-122-400kg

https://www.erde.fr/product/remorques-erde-153-500-650kg-copie

https://www.erde.fr/product/erde-classic-163-500-750-kg

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Tagalong built in South Africa - Bikes, boards, kayaks, and a canoe all fit on this + storage. It pulls nicely.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Tagalong built in South Africa - Bikes, boards, kayaks, and a canoe all fit on this + storage. It pulls nicely.

It's a long way from South Africa to British Columbia, Canada but not so far from France to Great Britain. Was the Tagalong trailer a personal import or had the South Africans been engaging in a major export drive; recalling that there had been economic sanctions against South Africa for many years; including the period of my visit in March & April 1981?

You have interesting looking wheels on the 1976 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervan! What was their origin, rim size and offset?

Nigel A. Skeet

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

[quote="NASkeet"]
Shonandb wrote:
Tagalong built in South Africa - Bikes, boards, kayaks, and a canoe all fit on this + storage.

It's a long way from South Africa to British Columbia, Canada but not so far from France to Great Britain. Was the Tagalong trailer a personal import or had the South Africans been engaging in a major export drive; recalling that there had been economic sanctions against South Africa for many years; including the period of my visit in March & April 1981?

You have interesting looking wheels on the 1976 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervan! What was their origin, rim size and offset?

A family from SA brought it over in a container when they relocated to Canada in the early 2000s and sold it to a friend of theirs who then sold it to me about 5 years ago. Great, well built trailer!

Regarding the rims, they are Chrysler rims off a mid 90s car so I'm using 5/8" spacer adapters as the bolt pattern is 114.3 x 5. Rims are 16" but I'm not sure what the offset is but they fit well. I had the tires, Nokian SUV load rated, on the rims on another van so I tried the adapters and am happy with the results.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

[quote="Shonandb"]
NASkeet wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
Tagalong built in South Africa - Bikes, boards, kayaks, and a canoe all fit on this + storage.

It's a long way from South Africa to British Columbia, Canada but not so far from France to Great Britain. Was the Tagalong trailer a personal import or had the South Africans been engaging in a major export drive; recalling that there had been economic sanctions against South Africa for many years; including the period of my visit in March & April 1980?

A family from SA brought it over in a container when they relocated to Canada in the early 2000s and sold it to a friend of theirs who then sold it to me about 5 years ago. Great, well built trailer!

Regarding the rims, they are Chrysler rims off a mid 90s car so I'm using 5/8" spacer adapters as the bolt pattern is 114.3 x 5. Rims are 16" but I'm not sure what the offset is but they fit well. I had the tires, Nokian SUV load rated, on the rims on another van so I tried the adapters and am happy with the results.

Several years ago, I saw some British specification, Chrysler Grand Voyager wheels of 35 mm offset, but being of 5 x 114.3 mm PCD, they were no use to me for my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental. Wheel spacers and/or adapters are illegal in some countries and I didn't want to run foul of the law! Besides which, the use of adapters with the aforementioned wheels would have adversely altered the effective offset.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bays and trailers Reply with quote

Djoul wrote:
Porsche904 wrote:
panel wrote:

VW181 Thing

yes it's a 181 Wink

If it were in right-hand-drive form, it would be a VW 182 "Trekker"

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: