Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

Hello need some advice on rear swing axle. I pulled out the transmissions, back axles, re-installing boots etc. After re-installing the rear swing axles they are very stiff and hard to move? I was told it shouldn't be this way, and I'm thinking they are not sitting in the side gear, that sits in the differential correctly? I mean the snap ring fit in fine, but the play is really stiff. The fulcrum plates are just about brand new, smooth, so it's not them for sure.

Right now the tires are not on and I was thinking maybe when they are put on the weight will even it out and they will have more play? I don't know but my uncle told me that perhaps we put them in wrong and they didn't catch the gear inside the transmission. We have to tear down again and make sure they are in correctly...

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos... so any advice would help a bunch?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

Usually gotta place a series of gaskets between the flange and the side covers to get the desired amount of axle tube action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

the whole reason I pulled everything out was to replace the gaskets and boots.. yes there are brand new I believe 3 on each side
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

The way to do is to try three gaskets, then add or remove some until it feels right. Then seal them up.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

Doing that exact process as we speak.

The overhaul kit came with 4 gaskets (2 for each side) which wasn't enough.
Each one was only 0.3mm thick. I cut new ones by tracing the thin gaskets onto some sheet gasket material.

Ended up needing 1.2mm thickness to prevent binding up. That is about 47 thou. You need to have no play in the axle tube, so it has to be reasonably tight, but moveable.

You MUST however torque the axle tube retaining plate to the correct torque which in my case is 14 ft-lbs. It cannot simply be done by just tightening as you run the risk of warping the retaining plate.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Doing that exact process as we speak.

You need to have no play in the axle tube, so it has to be reasonably tight, but moveable.

You MUST however torque the axle tube retaining plate to the correct torque which in my case is 14 ft-lbs. It cannot simply be done by just tightening as you run the risk of warping the retaining plate.

Say what?? No play in the axle tube?? This is the first time I'm hearing of this.. from what I've seen everyone and what everyONE has said in videos and what not, there is tremendous play in the rear swing axles...

Can someone confirm this?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:

Say what?? No play in the axle tube?? This is the first time I'm hearing of this.. from what I've seen everyone and what everyONE has said in videos and what not, there is tremendous play in the rear swing axles...

Can someone confirm this?

Do not believe everything you see on Youtube! Wink

Ya need to have free movement WITHOUT PLAY!!!

More info here . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665543&highlight=swing+gasket

Even better info is found in your Bentley manual!
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

So weather is ginally good, and this is one of the last things I need to get done, but having some major problemos.

I have purchased gaskets kits, after reading about fitting the rear bearing on a swing axle, and while 1. the retaining plates are not warped. 2. there is free movement without play, I can't seem to get the rear bearing on as the current spacing would need about 10 - 15 more gaskets on each side, which seems a bit ridiculous to me.

The kit I purchased came with 6 - 3 for each side and currently I tried one side with 5 and there is a huge amount of space left. (photo below).

Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestion or advice would help because me and my uncle are lost. He said he's never seen a rear axle take more than 6 on each side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

The gaskets set the axle tube end play, they don't position the axle bearing. That looks like you may have popped the axle out far enough to let the fulcrum plates fall to the inside. In that case you will need to go back in and remove the snap ring and put the fulcrum plates back on the sides of the axle, then reassemble. When pulling the axle tube off, it is best to use a puller to pull off the tube with the bearing while pushing back on the axle itself.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

Yep be super mindful of the fulcrums.... they will bite you in the ass. Also, clean up that bearing,axle,and tube area.... it’s a machined area with little tolerance for dirt/crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

If it isn't a fulcrum plate out of place blocking the axle shaft, I would suspect incorrectly installed axle bearing spacers or you have a set of long axle shafts installed in short axle tubes.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

I'm almost one hundred percent positive the fulcrum plates are in place. There would be more space in-between the bearings and the back side of the axle.

I have no desire to pull the axle tube off because I already took the bearings off with a puller.

The only thing I could think of is that yes, it would be spacers are wrong, but I am following this diagram which isn't super helpful, but thought it was correct?
I have a 1960.

What is the proper order? Perhaps I'm missing a part or spacer?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

The diagram you posted has the correct order.

Did you install the inner spacer (#5) so that the bevel was facing inward, toward the transaxle?

In your earlier pic with the bearing shown, it appears the bearing and axle are positioned toward the top of the tube -- is the axle shaft or inner spacer hanging up due to the axle not being centered as you install it?
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure I will have to double check when i get back out to my car.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

the fulcrum plates are in place, no play in the axle tube and yet there is still some space and I can't get the bearing in. I don't want to hammer it in and damage the bearing. I know the fulcrum plates are in places are else they would slide out more from the trans. and they won't come out.

The whole transmission is taken out and by itself to the back plates are off and there is no need for me to take off axle tube off because I took off the bearing.

So.. I'm at a loss? Any suggestion other than me taking off the snap ring and doing all over again?

I do have Inner spacer, then bearing, then the washer, seal ring outer spacer, and oil seal deflector.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:
the fulcrum plates are in place, no play in the axle tube and yet there is still some space and I can't get the bearing in. I don't want to hammer it in and damage the bearing.

If you feel the fulcrums are in place, hammering in the bearing is most likely what you need to do. The installation of the drum will pull the axle through the bearing until it seats up against the inner spacer. Get a section of tubing that will slide over the axle, and contact the inner race of the bearing, and lightly tap the bearing further down the axle until the outer bearing race seats in the axle tube. Then you should be able to install the drum, and have the axle nut pull the axle into place. Tapping the bearing down on the axle crams the axle spade into the side gear making the diff rough to turn. It won’t turn smoothly until the drum pulls the spade of the axle into position within the fulcrum plates.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

ok so I'm pretty much at a loss of what to do because the rear bearing won't reach the housing as there is about 1/4 inch space between the bearing and the bearing housing. When I re-assemble everything the backing place is loose. Without the inner spacer the rear bearing seems to seat where it belongs as I can see the grease lines on the axle. When I torque the the bolts to the backing plate they are so tight that it is almost about 50lbs and the backing is still loose - i.e. it won't seat tight against the axle housing.

I'm installing everything in the correct order. I have already taken off the snap rings to make sure the fulcrum plates are in place which they are. There is no space for the bearing to hammer because it hits lip on the axle.

Where am I going wrong as this should be be something easy but I've been struggling with this for two weekends.

The photos below are assembled without the inner spacer which makes everything fit but then when I put inner spacer and bearing on it will not seat correctly. You can see everything without the axle tube and everything sits correctly.

And I know this needs to be clean, but I'm trying to just get it to fit first.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

With the bearing not in place how much can you move the axle in and out easily by hand?
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
With the bearing not in place how much can you move the axle in and out easily by hand?

With the bearing not in place it's about a quarter inch or more but less than 1/2 an inch.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rear Swing axle rotatate not much play, very stiff.. Reply with quote

Was this the way the trans was assembled before, or are you changing anything upon reassembly? I only ask because it looks like you have a “shallow” bearing cap, where you should have the “deep” one. What are the casting numbers on your bearing caps? 311 501 311 is the “deep” cap, and 311 501 311A is the “shallow” one. Try placing the bearing by itself in the end of the axle tube, and installing the cap. If it fits, you had issues within the diff. If you still have the gap, you most likely need a different bearing cap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: