Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
brotherZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need some ideas here. I had an Oreilly China rebuilt Bosch alternator weeks back that had a dim charging light flicker at all rpms. I swapped it for another rebuilt Bosch unit a few days ago. While taking the car out today, everything was fine except the red light blinked for a second every 30 seconds or so...I thought it was a fluke. After taking the car up to 65mph, after a 50 second stretch the light came on and stayed on. Within 20 seconds I found a safe place to pull over and the front section of the alternator was smoking bad, super hot, and smelled like a burnt up angle grinder. There was also small chunks of clear plastic pieces falling out of the alternator.

One odd thing, after the car was sitting for a while without a key in the ignition, the red light was dim but still on?? I had a new German alternator in this same car months ago with no issues. I have not changed wiring or anything. I think the bearings were shot in the rebuilt alternator. What could cause it to do this? Possible that the belt is pinching on a slightly bent pulley? Angle of belt to pulley and crank pulley is true with no odd angle. Crank pulley does not have excessive play either. Its a pretty tight 40 horse.

I plan to pull it tonight and take it back to Oreilly for a refund tomorrow.
*I have ran alternators for years with NO issues. I run new German belts with 1/2" of play in the belt. Nut on fan is torqued to 40 ft. lbs and cooling slot is pointed down. Not sure what else I can do or if its something I'm doing wrong, but that is doubtful. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

Did it look like this one?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

brotherZ wrote:
Hey guys, I need some ideas here. I had an Oreilly China rebuilt Bosch alternator weeks back that had a dim charging light flicker at all rpms. I swapped it for another rebuilt Bosch unit a few days ago. While taking the car out today, everything was fine except the red light blinked for a second every 30 seconds or so...I thought it was a fluke. After taking the car up to 65mph, after a 50 second stretch the light came on and stayed on. Within 20 seconds I found a safe place to pull over and the front section of the alternator was smoking bad, super hot, and smelled like a burnt up angle grinder. There was also small chunks of clear plastic pieces falling out of the alternator.

One odd thing, after the car was sitting for a while without a key in the ignition, the red light was dim but still on?? I had a new German alternator in this same car months ago with no issues. I have not changed wiring or anything. I think the bearings were shot in the rebuilt alternator. What could cause it to do this? Possible that the belt is pinching on a slightly bent pulley? Angle of belt to pulley and crank pulley is true with no odd angle. Crank pulley does not have excessive play either. Its a pretty tight 40 horse.

I plan to pull it tonight and take it back to Oreilly for a refund tomorrow.
*I have ran alternators for years with NO issues. I run new German belts with 1/2" of play in the belt. Nut on fan is torqued to 40 ft. lbs and cooling slot is pointed down. Not sure what else I can do or if its something I'm doing wrong, but that is doubtful. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

My 2 cents-

Most of these "rebuilt" starters, generators and alternators sold at your local FLAPS are simply junk. They are rebuilt in 3rd world countries to a very poor standard. A lot of these places offer "lifetime" warranty. That's great but when you're paying for the labor or doing it yourself, it's not worth it.

I take all my original, German made starters, generators, alternators to local rebuild shops. They use quality parts in rebuilding them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Most of these "rebuilt" starters, generators and alternators sold at your local FLAPS are simply junk. They are rebuilt in 3rd world countries to a very poor standard. A lot of these places offer "lifetime" warranty. That's great but when you're paying for the labor or doing it yourself, it's not worth it.

I take all my original, German made starters, generators, alternators to local rebuild shops. They use quality parts in rebuilding them.

While I might think of trying a starter, I wouldn't try an inexpensive generator or alternator on a VW, just too much labor involved if something isn't right.

For the record, I do have an O'Reilly alternator on my 1998 Nissan Frontier, at least 7 years on that now and no issues.

My two VWs have genuine "remanufactured by Bosch" generators in them from at least 2 decades ago (not just Bosch generators that were remanufactured by Goober). I don't know if these units are even still available.

If I need a replacement generator someday, I'll likely ask Bill (wcfvw69) who he recommends in the Phoenix area.

I like the fan in the photo; not the alternator fan, the vintage fan in the background, from the days where people were smart enough not to put their fingers or other important appendages through the protective grate. How much for that fan?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

Sounds like my Autozone starter. Took them three starters but this one has lasted now seventeen years and still going.
Lifetime warranty does come in handy for some items like clutches and such.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

It's all a crapshoot. I've installed two AutoZone 6V starters and both performed properly. One of them replaced a brand-new Bosch starter that refused to operate. Lately, a Remy brand 12 V generator was rebuilt in such a way as to operate in reverse, eg. motored backwards, and the O'Reilly generator that replaced it operates properly.

Country of origin does not appear to make a difference: a Delco generator I installed in my '64 Ford failed within a year, and the Mexico-origin generator that replaced it, another AutoZone unit, performs normally.

In the end, it's down to who offers the best warranty. Your O'Reilly dealer should exchange the unit without question.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Sounds like my Autozone starter. Took them three starters but this one has lasted now seventeen years and still going.
Lifetime warranty does come in handy for some items like clutches and such.

I've an Autozone new starter in our 2005 Yukon, almost a decade now. And a CarQuest rebuilt starter in my 1998 Frontier, at least a dozen years on that one.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

The reason I posted that photo was it too came from oh really’s.
But it appears to be new instead of rebuilt, both Bosch and Motorola are marked and are easily identifiable, but this thing was sold as rebuilt and with my veterans discount was about 70 bucks out the door. In contrast new Bosch is several hundred but I’ve had some great results working with local rebuilders as Bill mentioned.

Cuss mentioned the other fan. It’s garden variety Emerson 1930s vintage and they made millions so they aren’t rare. The first ones late 1800s had no guards, some were DC power, some have exposed brushes and it was assumed the operator knew what they were doing. Quick check eBay hundreds of these things looking for new homes. There exists a collector market for early appliances as well. It’s a slippery slope Very Happy
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

Antique/vintage fans on FleeBay….

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brotherZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Did it look like this one?

It looked like this as in the number stamping, but mine was single post, not 3 prong on mine. I ended up taking it back, after a song and dance got them to return it and got my money back. Went home and pulled the good Mexican unit (purchased new in 2014) off my 2054, and the 40 was running flawlessly the next day! Next time I'm going to just spend the extra for the genuine article.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilt alternator dillemma! 2nd Oreilly's unit is faulty!! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I second this statement. Money well spent.

Also, buy a used one off of the classified section and get it rebuilt at the same time! That way you always have a back up. Plus at rebuild time, getting 2 rebuilt at the same time, saves you time and money!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: