Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sidewinder Exhaust Fit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

Yes, I searched and I don't see the specific answers I am after. I want a basic exhaust for a 65 bus with Type 1 engine. I don't want to cut the rear apron, and I like the way the side winder hide away looks. That said, I see them listed on a dozen sites and they say Fit Bus 68 and later, or Ghia/Bug but I don't see one that claims Split bus fit. At Bulli Brigade this weekend I saw a dozen of them installed. So, who knows what one I should buy that will just bolt on and work?
I don't like the Stainless fat ones by the Taiwan company, I like the sidewinder look hiding away.
Thanks
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I had to cut an about 2-3" tall piece out of the very bottom edge of my apron to get it to fit... at the lower part of the exhaust's U-bend.

I'm going with the Vintage Speed on a different engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cut not shown in pic below.. but you can see where the contact point is (over on the left side) and imagine.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I've heard that the sidewinders scrape a ton on lowered busses and the drone of them resonates through the bus like mad.

gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

Thanks, this is what I was thinking about.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I have one of these. The left side does touch the apron. I'm not too stoked on that. I think I'll end up with a hole in the exhaust at some point in the future.

Scraping though, haven't had to much problems with that as long as I drive like, you know, like I'm driving a lowered bus.

As for the noise, I have been sound proofing the bus and it is still pretty loud. But I am not completely done yet so that may change. Outside the bus it sounds great. Just the inside is droney like a Sleep concert. With no interior panels or dynamat, hearing your passengers wasn't always easy.
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I also have a A1 (Tiger Performance) stainless system on my 59 truck. I like the fit but I dont like the drone of the muffler. For some reason every non-stock system seems to be loud and have a deep drone...grrrr...whay can't there just be a muffler that performs okay and have little noise.

I have had no issues with installation or scraping on the ground.

Anyway, Tiger at Tiger Performance is easy to deal with. [email protected]

Russell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

re routing the tailpipe out the back will help eliminate the drone
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

Western Auto,
Whaaaaa....really? I'll try anything to help reduce the drone.

Thanks!!
Russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

western auto wrote:

Cool. Whats your suggested method?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
western auto wrote:

Here’s what I did! Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8509486&highlight=#8509486
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
western auto wrote:

cut and fab something up or buy the new empi sidewinder for type 2 with long tailpipe side exit, check the epizootic combat bus page 14 in the barndoor forum looks like he just did the same thing with a reroute
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

western auto wrote:

cut and fab something up or buy the new empi sidewinder for type 2 with long tailpipe side exit, check the epizootic combat bus page 14 in the barndoor forum looks like he just did the same thing with a reroute

Looks like I may have to try that!

@pyrOman - cant tell by your pics but did you tack the exhaust on the side of the muffler? I'm assuming so.

I wonder if anyone sells just the empi muffler.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

There was a thread about this , sort of, here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620163&highlight=performance+exhaust

The first post shows a sidewinder with 2 mufflers, which looks like the best option, until you have to adjust your valves.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
western auto wrote:

Looks like I may have to try that!

@pyrOman - cant tell by your pics but did you tack the exhaust on the side of the muffler? I'm assuming so.*

I wonder if anyone sells just the empi muffler.

Only buy an EMPI muffler if you’re okay with replacing it every 6 months or so. Rolling Eyes

I’ve gone to the peep boys and gotten the cheapest and smallest one, then graft the flange pipe and the tail pipe from a blown apart EMPI. Done it quite a few times already for different VWs. However, the latest find Cherrybomb is the best for size and at around $30 it just can’t be beat! Cool

* Yes, it is tacked to it but also has the link to the #1 exhaust J-tube. AND it’s not in the way of the valve cover! Wink
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

Here's what I did with my "China sidewinder" muffler deal. No, you have to remove muffler to adjust valves, but my driveway will not let mine sit any lower.

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

This subject is up to bat in my camp. I have a 2110 in my lowered 60 truck and was thinking about buying one. I thought about a 1 5/8 ceramic coated one. What are folks buying that seemingly lasts awhile? Also how is the tone? I don’t mind a 356 four cam tone.
snuffelupabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I use a Type 1 sidewinder with a split specific muffler
No clearance issues. Perhaps my 1-1/2" system does not have issues the 1-5/8" version has. Mine is stainless with exchangers and a polished muffler.
Limited use so far but no drone, mostly accelerating or off- throttle. Sounds nice on the 2110.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I have a 1 1/2 A1 Sidewinder with AA muffler on the bus. I had to put 1/2 spacers between the body and apron to make the tiny amount of clearance you see in the pic. It does cause the apron to pop out a bit but on my beater who cares.

To cut down the drone from the muffler I put a piece of scrap tubing with two self tapping screws directing the exhaust out the back. I temporarily extended the pipe past the muffler and the drone was even quieter. I could tell the difference as on the freeway the 'temp' tube shot off and the difference was very noticeable.

6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

I am considering a sidewinder exhaust, but I'm not 100% sold on it just on the fact that it looks like you can't get to the passenger valve cover easily to adjust the valves. Anyone have first hand knowledge on this concern? Is it a pain or not a big deal? Thanks!

It is what it is
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder Exhaust Fit Reply with quote

Take off the wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: