Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
everyhumanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Getting a Syncro back up to snuff starting with the brakes. Was my dad's van here in Michigan and he did not do the underbody washes and drove it in winter. Have had several brake lines replaced. Brought some new old stock Girlings to my mechanic and found out the van must take the ATE calipers. Am wondering if I can get still get ATE calipers and carriers or if not what is best option for stock replacement. I also need the caliper carriers which the NOS Girlings did not come with.

Just found this at vanagain.com: "Most of the '86-91 Syncro Vanagons used the Girling Caliper. If you have a Syncro, my advice would be to just replace these in pairs. No one has any late ATE calipers that I know of. They are interchangeable as long as you replace them in pairs you are good to go." My mechanic seemed to not know or not think I could change out both of the ATE calipers with the NOS Girlings I have once carriers are found. Either way still need carriers and backing plates as they are also corroded. Were Girling or ATE calipers and carriers better? Any advice much appreciated!!!

Last edited by everyhumanvw on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

This might be a good way to go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2192199
everyhumanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
This might be a good way to go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2192199

thanks, that looks like a 2015 ad but still sent message to inquire.

I think I found that ATE calipers can be directly swapped with Girling model. May require different carrier. Same backing plates and all else I think and hope

Last edited by everyhumanvw on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

I can verify as long as you have complete calipers with their mounting brackets they will fit on a late model Syncro I installed some on mine many years ago when I re built my brakes. I did have a little issue on one wheel that had some corrosion causing a reduced diameter a little wire wheeling and the slight clicking went away.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

everyhumanvw wrote:

thanks, that looks like a 2015 ad but still sent message to inquire.
No that was the date he joined the forum. The ad was just renewed a few days ago.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Talk about timing...I am also just doing the brakes on my 1988 Syncro. Took everything apart today.

The caliper piston is rather rusted and the dust boot is very dry. I called around for a set of calipers - $51 each. At this price I am just going to replace them.
But the guy asked if I had ATE or Girling.

I went with Girling...I could not find a 'G' on them, nor an ATE. Just a VW/Audi logo, a MO. I am hoping it's the correct one. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it up.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

The guide pins areas are the obvious visual difference. The Girling has 2 plainly visible 13mm head m8 bolts that attach the caliper at the guides.
The ATE has no such bolts, but the 2 ATE guide pins have allen socket holes for removing the pins from the ATE carrier. There are usually rubber plugs hiding the allen holes.

VW Parts shows the ATE fitted beginning in 1989 model year.
This is another omission from the Bentley, nothing about the late ATE calipers.
Above is for 86+ calipers.

Mark
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Here are some from my '89 Model Year Syncro van with a mfg date of 6/88.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Do you know if these are Girling or ATE? they look identical to mine.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The guide pins areas are the obvious visual difference. The Girling has 2 plainly visible 13mm head m8 bolts that attach the caliper at the guides.
The ATE has no such bolts, but the 2 ATE guide pins have allen socket holes for removing the pins from the ATE carrier. There are usually rubber plugs hiding the allen holes.

VW Parts shows the ATE fitted beginning in 1989 model year.
This is another omission from the Bentley, nothing about the late ATE calipers.
Above is for 86+ calipers.

Mark

Based on your description, it looks like I have ATE. However my Syncro is a 1988. Perhaps they were swapped later.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Those are ATE. See the small allen bolt holes in the guide pins.

(also the stylized ATE cast in the top like the VW)

VW Parts says at start of 89 model year for 2wd.
I didn't check Syncros, which were built in a different factory/country until the near very end.

EDIT: just checked Syncros, VW says ATE starting late in 88 model year.
88 vin# 105001 and later. Very last of 88 Syncro production.

Of course 89 model production began in summer of 88 so you have to check the VIN year letter to see actual MODEL year,
J=88
K=89

Mark
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Yes I do have ATE - now I know for sure. I went to NAPA and look it up.

Duh, I just realized my Syncro is 1989, not 88.
VIN is WV2YB025XKG000279

Now it all makes sense...

Wink
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Just for your info.
VW passat, Audi A6 2003 Quattro is wearing them as well as a whole host of others.
Your easiest search engine is Rock Auto, just got through the years on Audi.

[url]
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2039832&cc=1411311&jsn=555[/url]

[url]
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/audi,2003,a6,3.0l+v6,1411311,brake+&+wheel+hub[/url]

I was just in a salvage yard yesterday and saw at least 6 cars with them, Passats and one Audi A6 which doesn't have them anymore along with it's 312mm rotors. Laughing

Rebuild kit is only 3-4 bucks.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:

Duh, I just realized my Syncro is 1989, not 88.

Yeah they all look the same!

My 91 has Girling G60 single pucks on it as opposed to the ATE57.
Looks almost the same, but sure the mounting holes to the carrier are different.
The 3mm difference your not going to notice and ATE has been stopping cars just as good as Girling's.

clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Brickwerks have remanufactured ATE and Girling calipers and also sell guide pins for both separately:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t3-syncro/brakes/front.html?limit=30
everyhumanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

Girling or ATE calipers for replacement???? Any opinions on the better caliper and carrier?

Found these remanufact Girling
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-frc3764

and these ATE's

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-19b1430
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

everyhumanvw wrote:
Girling or ATE calipers for replacement???? Any opinions on the better caliper and carrier?

Found these remanufact Girling
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-frc3764

and these ATE's

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-19b1430

What caliper do you have on there now?
The Girling is a single puck 60mm dia.
The ATe is a single puck probably a 57mm dia.
(You will not feel the difference between 60 and 57mm dia. It much like stereo equipment quoting sound frequencies only a dog can hear.)

Keep it the way you found it. Both ATE and Girling brakes have been around a long long time and it's usualy the driver beng the reason the brakes don't work.

Rockauto.com has the same calipers going for 25-45 bucks.
If you do decide to change make sure the ones you buy have the carriers coming with them.

everyhumanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 VW Syncro calipers and brakes question Reply with quote

UPDATE NEARLY 4 MONTHS LATER: Still waiting on ATE caliper and bracket rebuilds from Summit Racing.

Someone above says these Audi ATE brake calipers from RockAuto fit, but they look different and part number different.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2039832&cc=1411311&jsn=555[/url]

So, seems best option is to swap out to Girling calipers and brackets with guide pin bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: