Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super beetle strut mount - broken ring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On my 1977 super convert I noticed a broken ring (stop ring??) on the strut mount. Is this an issue, do I need to replace?
If so, replace just the ring or the whole strut mount? Where do I get the ring-I looked around, doesn’t seem to be a typical spare part...
I also looked for replacing the strut mount, some run $40, others up to $75 a piece....
Anyone having a recommendation for a good source for a decent part?
Thanks much,
Nico
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

Do you know where that one came from ( don't buy there ) . Contact Topline .
Nico2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

No, came with the car when I bought it. Other side is fine, but I will also replace!!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

All they do is provide less than metal to metal contact when/if your car goes over a bump causing the suspension fully extend. You could live without them(the ring). I would wait to replace until it was needed, but thats just me. Topline sells the same upper strut mounts everyone else does.

On my coil overs, I used the rubber part of the mount from a VW Fox because its higher durometer. I actually ground off the part where that plastic ring attaches to give a bit more clearance for the top piece to spin more freely.

JohnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

Don’t worry about it. It will still buffer between the two pieces of metal. It’s just a crack. If a section was broken from the ring, you might want to replace. But that crack won’t prevent the ring from doing its job.

It’s an OEM strut top, by the way.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Nico2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

Thanks everybody!!
Nothing to worry about, great!
I am going to replace all major front parts. Bushings, tie rods, ball joints.

Most concerned about the wheel alignment afterwards. Smile

All really looks stock! Amazing after so many years!!

Thanks again for the fast responses!!
Millertime610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle strut mount - broken ring Reply with quote

Hey all!

Looking to service my struts on my SB and need some help!

From the upper shock mount to the body, for the 3 bolts, its a flat washer and a nylock nut. What size are those nuts? Its a 14mm wrench but no vendors seem to supply a set.

Are they 8mm/1.25 ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: