Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966' VW BugChickie
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

*FIONA*
I was brought this beautiful 66' from a friend yesterday and have been working on her all day, including; breaking down the black paint with acetone and a rag (starting to show the pink very nicely, I think I'll keep her as a pink-patina). We also, started to hose the interior down. Now we're working on wiring to get this motor started!

P.s; It's funny how I chose FIONA because the names original meaning is "white/fair" and it turns out she is OG White! Super stoked about that. Also, Turns out she is a living ground for black widows. Must have been sitting for quite a while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

There are all kinds of issues going on here.... I'd be suspect of the condition of that engine.
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

It’s been sitting for a while... After hooking up the wiring correctly we got it to turn over, but it didn’t fire up. We don’t know if it’s locked up or needs a re-build.

The headlights work though!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

I hope they weren't driving it with the majority of the cooling tin missing! if that were the case the motor will need some serious attention.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

I hope the PO didn’t run this engine long without the engine tins!!
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

A friend Matt hooked it up with some stuff he had laying around!! Scored a engine tin kit, pink spark plug wires, pink generator fan cover, extra carburetor with manifold, some pea shooters and we also found a bumper on Craigslist!!

We can turn it over by hand, pulled the plugs and they look new, oil in it looks fresh, also there was a brand new ignition switch installed, but the original wiring was not hooked up and the fuse block was spray painted flat. As it sits now we got the wiring hooked up, new battery cables, some lights working and it turns over, starter was jammed, grease and oiled it, now it works but has not fired YET.

Take a look...

littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!!

Yesterday we got her to run! The starter was shot (6v starter, 6v flywheel, 12v system) so we got a 6v starter from auto-zone for $45! ($40 core). After setting the timing, installing the starter, she fired right up and spit a bunch of crap out of the muffler!

Super stoked!
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

The car in the thread is cool but I like the type 34 sitting behind it with the cookie cutters, say what you will but I have loved those wheels since the 80's. Any pics of that car available?

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

The Type 34 Ghia is my boyfriends VW. Can't wait to get our VWs rolling so we can MOB the VW Campouts together.

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Those two are going to look cool rolling together.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

Lately, I've been working hard on getting the flat black off the exterior. In my opinion, it should have never been painted flat black, because to me bugs are a classy car and painting a bug flat black is "not" classy...

But on the other hand, the progress has been going well. I got most of the black off, now it's just the tedious details of getting it out of the cracks, a toothbrush has been a lifesaver. The plan is to roll with the pink hood-ride look until I can come up with enough money to get it painted.

Here, take a look...

Today I started to re-build the carb, we noticed that the carb was leaking and not holding gas, making the car not idle. Hopefully I can get it going and go on a test drive soon!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

I love it! Spray the whole thing in some clear. It looks fantastic.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Yes, thank you! We are going to buff it out until it blings (:
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Happy Monday Everyone!

Quick update! I’ve still been trying to get this black off but getting closer everyday! Today I took the rear windshield out and currently working on the front. The rear came out like a piece of cake without breaking! (always a plus) unfortunately the front windshield is dried out and super sketchy chipping it off. It’s a super pain in the ass! Any tips on how to get it out smoothly!?
Went to a bus show yesterday here in PHX AZ. Definitely super inspiring seeing everyone’s bad ass VWs! Soon enough I’ll be rolling into my first show in my own bug!

Check out some super rad photos of my friends sick VWs;

littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

UPDATE***

The flat black has finally been wiped off!! ( Most of it at least) I’ve taken the lights and knobs off already. The next step is taking the fenders and doors off and putting new seals on.

Here take a look...

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Nice progress! Love the pink patina.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Sorry for falling off the face of the earth... but so much has been done to Fiona!
She has had a complete makeover! Her interior is now OG pearl white and she has been freshly painted pink patina on the outside! She has had all new seals put on her, breaks rebuilt, new wiring installed, new steering, etc! So much love has been put into her!

I’ve uploaded a photo of her before getting clear coated... need to do more!....

ENJOY....

I’ll try to upload more soon!
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Paint it! You`re right there...
littlelady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I’m back with some more photos!!!

Cant believe how close we are to actually driving her!

Take a look...

This is Fiona after clear coat.

This is her brand new painted pearl white dash!

This is her currently... with installed and painted headlights!

Hope you enjoy (:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966' VW BugChickie Reply with quote

Awesome! The cruises are waiting - enjoy the final assembly. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: