Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 Position Headlight Switch?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone here is using a 4 position headlight switch typically sold for hot rods and kit cars.

It's a single pull out style switch that activates the high beams when pulled all the way out.

The switch would eliminate the need for the floor mounted high beam switch.

I'm looking for advice from someone using the switch.

Does it work well? Are there any problems?

Thanks.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

Why not install a floor switch? Cheap and easy - plus young people don't know what is is for.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

The question is concerning a 4 position headlight switch.

Thank you.
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

I had one in my first buggy and it worked, but there was no flashing the highbeams. It was a good option for what it was and made wiring easy to where I didn't use relays. If you are not a high beam flasher type of person then its a solid solution. Also it seems to be a better switch than the cheap pull switches that are sold at the local parts stores.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

I'm using one in my beach buggy that I bought from Speedway Motors. It works fine but would be less fun if I was switching between low and high beams all the time. If I switched back and forth more I would be temped to wire low beams as all the way out (position 4) and high beams and position 3, making it a quick flick to switch to low beams.

The terminals on the switch are simple enough.
1. Power in
2. ON in positions 2, 3, and 4 (tail lights)
3. ON in position 2 (front parking lights)
4. ON in position 3 (low beam)
5. ON in position 4 (high beam)
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

Thanks.

If I go with this switch I might hook it up so the front running lights stay on with the headlights.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

thefladge wrote:
... I might hook it up so the front running lights stay on with the headlights.

That was the way I went at first, but... on long drives at night, especially with brights, my headlight switch would get awfully HOT (stock 1967 bug switch). So I changed it to the more conventional, lower amperage hook up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

Headlights should be hooked up through a relay (one for low and another for high beam) - don't use the switched to directly turn them on and off as the switch won't last long.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Headlights should be hooked up through a relay (one for low and another for high beam) - don't use the switched to directly turn them on and off as the switch won't last long.

I think you're right. Adding relays is a good idea. There are no relays with the stock switches currently in the car.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

When I build a car I use 2 relays for the lights.

One relay powers up all the park lights and a pair of fog lamps that are on all the time when the ignition is on.

A second relay powers a 30amp (@120V) DPDT toggle switch that I use to control the headlights that I mount so it switches vertically on the dash. High beam is up, low beam is down.

I also use a toggle for the signal lights, but that's another story.

brad
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

I've been using the 4 position switch from Speedway Motors without any relays for several years. The contacts, at least on positions 3 and 4, seem to be of sufficient size to handle standard H4 halogen headlamps just fine.

There is nothing special about a relay that makes it better than a switch. Either way works equally well if you have contacts sized for the current involved. Relays can be used.to reduce wiring length as wire has resistance, or they can allow you to use a small low power switch. Sometimes they are used to allow the use of an old switch with failing contacts.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I've been using the 4 position switch from Speedway Motors without any relays for several years. The contacts, at least on positions 3 and 4, seem to be of sufficient size to handle standard H4 halogen headlamps just fine.

There is nothing special about a relay that makes it better than a switch. Either way works equally well if you have contacts sized for the current involved. Relays can be used.to reduce wiring length as wire has resistance, or they can allow you to use a small low power switch. Sometimes they are used to allow the use of an old switch with failing contacts.

Is this the one you use?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Headlight-Switch-with-Hi-Low,41767.html
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

That is the one I used, I remember that ugly brown knob. Speedway offers a nice aluminum knob to replace it, that I also bought.
Makua Kane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
When I build a car I use 2 relays for the lights.

One relay powers up all the park lights and a pair of fog lamps that are on all the time when the ignition is on.

A second relay powers a 30amp (@120V) DPDT toggle switch that I use to control the headlights that I mount so it switches vertically on the dash. High beam is up, low beam is down.

I also use a toggle for the signal lights, but that's another story.

brad

I've been looking to do this exact thing with my buggy. Is there a wiring diagram that I can reference?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

I ordered a 4 position headlight switch today. I will follow up with the results after I install it.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Position Headlight Switch? Reply with quote

Installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: