Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Big fukin dog.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I like the idea of an interior siren a lot, but it is predicated on the ability to trigger it reliably, ie only when there is an intruder inside.

There are sensors to detect glass break or motion. I had mixed results with those when I was younger, but I never put any in a bus, and the motion sensors are a lot better these days. I recently built a project using some 5V motion detectors and arduinos. I was actually quite impressed with how well they worked. They 'learn' the space they are monitoring and just watch for changes. It would not be too hard to build something that triggered multiple loud piezo sirens. Have it run off it's own battery that recharges when you run the engine. That way they can't remove a battery cable to quiet it. When I say loud, look for at least 100db. A quick search of DigiKey found this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/X-5735-LW350-S-2-R/668-1648-ND/3189916
12V and 125db Shocked

If you placed 2 or 3 of those inside the bus, nobody would be able to stay in there long. There are lots of options for sirens. Might be better to get different types, ie multiple tones.
All the better to scramble a would be thiefs' brains Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I imagine most of these thefts are crimes of opportunity; a thieving bawbag walks past a tidy camper and thinks, “Hmm, could be a valuable computer, camera, tools, whatever in there. Smash a window, pop the locks, grab the stuff and I’m off! Easy!” The thought of clambering over broken glass and having limited means of escape from an enclosed area will act as a deterrent for many of them as the risk-reward ratio isn’t in their favour.

The hidden locks will not act as a deterrence, they will make your vehicle more secure, but they may still leave you with the hassle of a broken window to deal with and the emotional distress of knowing some lowlife has violated your vehicle. I noticed that Jed of Campervan Culture has fitted some Thule external door locks to his MAN-VW G-series camper. I imagine that these will have more deterrence value.

Link

Link to the external door locks on the Thule website -> https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/van-accessories/comfort-and-security/thule-van-lock-_-rv-309832

There’s an interesting discussion about winches on the club80-90 Syncro forum -> http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162146&sid=c34dfc7b59b5e90a822625cd9488fa42

How’s Boomerang’s weight now? Hope you are enjoying your build.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

OrangeZA wrote:

There’s an interesting discussion about winches on the club80-90 Syncro forum -> http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162146&sid=c34dfc7b59b5e90a822625cd9488fa42

Not sure about the weight currently, there isn't much in there at the moment, will report back once the basics are in and it's built up a litte:

RE Winch - how come none of you suggested the "Bush Winch?"
It just popped up on my YouTube Feed:

Link

World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
OrangeZA wrote:

Not sure about the weight currently, there isn't much in there at the moment, will report back once the basics are in and it's built up a litte:

Link
Good for winching your own vehicle out, but might be a bit tricky to winch out someone else. I may spring for one though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
...Good for winching your own vehicle out, but might be a bit tricky to winch out someone else. I may spring for one though.

It Certainly is a novel solution. Clearance between the wheel hub and the ground would be my first concern looking at that thumbnail. It woudl pobably be less likely to be jacked if it was strapped to the outside of your vehicle than a fancy looking winch though. I'd imagine the combined weight would be less than a winch too.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Reality check- Shocked - An electric winch mounted up under the front pan- with a roller block thru the bumper - and a remote control- will be accessible 99 percent of the time.

That light weight , "gota bolt on a wheel to use" and only accessible when both rear wheels are visible- (Ya- you would need to lock up the free spinning wheel) just would not work in a high % of times you would get stuck. Evil or Very Mad

Thinking it will be way better to be able to strip off a few yards of cable and press a button, than finding all those components bolting them to a wheel and jacking the free wheel up and locking it down with brake adjustment then just peeling off a few feet of cable and hope the rear wire guide doesn't collapse and ruin your paint.

The winch you have is quite capable of literally pulling Boomerang straight up a tree- Shocked - in time of floods (a certain incident south comes to mind.)- but lets not speculate here-

There are similar devices -much simpler- seen on youtube that involve a single bar bolted across a tire that "walks" you out of a situation.

you guys having fun yet? Interior looks great.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
OrangeZA wrote:

Link
Good for winching your own vehicle out, but might be a bit tricky to winch out someone else. I may spring for one though.

I'm not a fan of the apparent torsion/leverage that would place on the drive axle. It's also bolted to your wheel hub. Don't know if it comes with it's own lug bolts, but you gotta consider the sheer strength of the mounting hardware.....

It just don't think putting all the leverage and force of winching yourself out outside the center line is a good idea. Remember how much your Bus weighs...now consider that your are asking your drive line to handle that weight in a way its not designed for----lateral forces.

Just get a real winch and call it a day. Add on an additional battery for winch power if you are worried about power drain. You will be in the middle of nowhere for a long time and you WILL need to winch yourself out many times. You need something which will last and be versatile enough to get you out of less-than-ideal winching situations.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Why are you concerned about the weight of the winch? IMO they don’t weigh much and having one is better then not having one. As stated above, install it behind the bumper, cut a hole in the bumper and run the cable through. Seen it done, there is a guy in Cortez who has with this set up. Clean and reliable.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
OrangeZA wrote:

Link

I'm not a fan of the apparent torsion/leverage that would place on the drive axle. It's also bolted to your wheel hub. Don't know if it comes with it's own lug bolts, but you gotta consider the sheer strength of the mounting hardware.....

It just don't think putting all the leverage and force of winching yourself out outside the center line is a good idea. Remember how much your Bus weighs...now consider that your are asking your drive line to handle that weight in a way its not designed for----lateral forces.

Just get a real winch and call it a day. Add on an additional battery for winch power if you are worried about power drain. You will be in the middle of nowhere for a long time and you WILL need to winch yourself out many times. You need something which will last and be versatile enough to get you out of less-than-ideal winching situations.
First off, it is a real winch. It is a real winch with more hp and torque than the average PTO or electric winch. Also, it does come with its own lug nuts. You are asking little more of your drive train than you would be in any “stuck vehicle” situation. Also, your other drive wheel as well as the drive wheel the winch hub is attached to are providing power to help your vehicle get free.Obviously not in addition to the winch power, and that could a concern as well. A separate winch would be power in addition to your drive wheels/engine and this wheel hub type would be dividing the power up among traction/ winching outputs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
First off, it is a real winch. It is a real winch with more hp and torque than the average PTO or electric winch. ..... You are asking little more of your drive train than you would be in any “stuck vehicle” situation........

My apologies, I should have said 'typical' winch. This is a winch, yes.

But I'll have to Respectfully disagree here Tom, that wheelhub winch is pulling on one side and forwards on the drive line to 'winch' the bus forwards. This axial force is not one encountered in any normal driving situation or 'stuck bus' situation either. The drive line is designed to handle a divided % of the bus weight in a 'centerline' fashion through the wheel bearings. This winch creates torsion at the end of the wheel hub pulling at the stub axle.

The designed function of delivery of forces is rotational through the tranny, into the drive axles, into the stub axle and into the wheels.

Think of the difference between turning a screwdriver to free a stuck screw (rotational force) VS using a screw driver to pry something off(leverage/bending force). Two totally different methods of force being applied to the 'shaft' of the screw driver.

At the very least, it won't be kind to the wheel bearings. Axial forces, ya know.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

It will be find. Just check your prelòad before you install.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
First off, it is a real winch. It is a real winch with more hp and torque than the average PTO or electric winch. ..... You are asking little more of your drive train than you would be in any “stuck vehicle” situation........

My apologies, I should have said 'typical' winch. This is a winch, yes.

But I'll have to Respectfully disagree here Tom, that wheelhub winch is pulling on one side and forwards on the drive line to 'winch' the bus forwards. This axial force is not one encountered in any normal driving situation or 'stuck bus' situation either. The drive line is designed to handle a divided % of the bus weight in a 'centerline' fashion through the wheel bearings. This winch creates torsion at the end of the wheel hub pulling at the stub axle.

The designed function of delivery of forces is rotational through the tranny, into the drive axles, into the stub axle and into the wheels.

Think of the difference between turning a screwdriver to free a stuck screw (rotational force) VS using a screw driver to pry something off(leverage/bending force). Two totally different methods of force being applied to the 'shaft' of the screw driver.

At the very least, it won't be kind to the wheel bearings. Axial forces, ya know.
Agreed, it is putting undue forward stress on the stub axle and can’t be real good for the wheel studs and bearings. I guess what I meant is that a stuck vehicle situation is abnormal or should be, and that you are stressing a lot of things in ways you don’t normally stress them. This is hopefully short term and these buses are pretty damn tough. If they are priced right, even given the known stresses, I would still carry one of these over a standard winch. In my limited off road driving it would more than suffice. The down side to me as stated earlier is how do you winch out someone else? That Would be where I would be employing a winch probably the most. Update: They appear to be an Aussie company and the system costs about 415.00 USD plus shipping from OZ I would imagine. Too expensive for me, but I might purchase some of their rope as an extended tow rope.... Cool
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Would this type of winch work the same with a open differential as it would with a locking differential?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Shocked It's actually designed to work with both axles at the same time.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

How about a good $50 come-along, a mess of straps, and 4 foot section of heavy rebar as a dead man. Mechanical systems don't rely on running engines and operating electrical systems. A section of chain with 2 binders ( to "walk the dog" ), just in case your hopelessly stuck. Plus nobody is likely to steal it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
How about a good $50 come-along, a mess of straps, and 4 foot section of heavy rebar as a dead man. Mechanical systems don't rely on running engines and operating electrical systems. A section of chain with 2 binders ( to "walk the dog" ), just in case your hopelessly stuck. Plus nobody is likely to steal it.

Completely lacking kewl factor. The correct solution.

Can used for other purposes including pulling out neighbors, going into caves, pulling dents, and can be traded for that fuel pump you need in Tierra del Fuego
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

A winch is only as good as its anchor... Will your terrain crossings have enough options?

In a few US cities, if your backyard has a pool, you legally have to have a door alarm to keep kids safe. Nobody actually keeps them once the inspector leaves, so they're available for cheap. VERY loud alarm as soon as the seperate magnet moves away from the sensor. Easy to arm every door with them. Here are some examples, but you can find way more online:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G594QO0/ref=sspa_dk_d...a19228e702

https://www.amazon.com/Doberman-Security-3-Button-...F8&me=

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The way we did it when I was a kid. Yanked a whole lot of sagebrush out of the prairie that way though.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Where the hell you plan on going with that big heavy bus that would require a wench? You went from Chile to Alaska without a wench. Or did you Think Wait a minute! There’s a joke in there somewhere Laughing But seriously. I like Manfreds low tech idea.
Maybe add one of these to the list of crap to pack. Stop overthinking shit and get on with it. I actually do pack one of these when conditions require me to let
the air out the tires for better traction

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/87p/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 41

Jump to: