Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations on a heater core?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

I haven't pulled mine yet but the signs are there…fog in the gauges that sit above it, the smell of coolant, and today, a drip on the passenger side floormat.

A good opportunity to clean up all that garbage wiring under the dash (not all of it mine) while I am there.

I see the GW one gets high marks (and is quite pricy) but they're sold out. Who else makes one that you would recommend?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

A few years ago I installed an all metal core which I believe came from Van Cafe. I didn't buy it, but I heard it was pricey. The quality appeared to be top notch, and the fit was excellent.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

Stay tuned... I just pulled my heater box out this morning, I am installing the GoWesty heater core version in a couple days.

edit; you're right, it looks like it's sold out now. I may have bought the last one...unless the order arrives without it and with a little note instead...I think I have had that happening before.
RHMoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

About 18 months ago, I installed a front heater core from BusDepot. I have not been able to get any heat out of it, and I fear it is one of the units that folks say has tubes of very small diameters. I like the BusDepot folks and products, and I don't want to speak ill will of them or their products. Whenever I change it out, I'll check its flowrate to be sure. FYI, I did use the Libby Bong and other techniques multiple times to bleed the system.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

I went with the Van Cafe option 3 years ago...all good... Cool
Their price has actually come down recently, so that's a plus...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

http://www.motoradsonline.co.uk/products/Volkswage...52d91.html

This is the all metal core that GW imports and sells on their site. I’ve contacted the company inquiring about purchasing one and getting it shipped to the US. They responded stating that it I (or anyone in the USA) would not have to pay the VAT, so it would be £71.80. That, plus the £30 I was quoted to have it shipped to the US brings the total to about £102. At today’s exchange rate, that’s about $130 USD. Much less than what GW is asking.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

Here is what to expect....went very smoothly, maybe a couple hour max to take it all out. Took my time. Fixing and cleaning some other stuff as I am there.

My heater core is actually in really good shape. I am almost tempted to keep it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
http://www.motoradsonline.co.uk/products/Volkswage...52d91.html

This is the all metal core that GW imports and sells on their site. I’ve contacted the company inquiring about purchasing one and getting it shipped to the US. They responded stating that it I (or anyone in the USA) would not have to pay the VAT, so it would be £71.80. That, plus the £30 I was quoted to have it shipped to the US brings the total to about £102. At today’s exchange rate, that’s about $130 USD. Much less than what GW is asking.

Yikes, that's a great deal. When I get a better grip on this, I'll be following up on that.

SyncroChrick wrote:
Here is what to expect....went very smoothly, maybe a couple hour max to take it all out. Took my time. Fixing and cleaning some other stuff as I am there.

I have been in there before (replaced the blower and did the Jeep resistor swap). Nothing like that, though. I think I'll spend more time cleaning up wiring than the real job…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

That's supposed to be a squirrel cage motor, not a mouse cage motor
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

SyncroChrick ......

You really need to go this linked thread and plug up some holes, especially the ram air intake behind the upper grill!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326

Also bleach the living crap out of all of that heater housing plastic! Also bleach all the metal duct that you can reach.
Then set it in the Sun to Bake for a few days. There is little worse than Mouse Pee smell....... well........ except for Cat Pee smell.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

i'm convinced the finning on the OEM heater core is exceptional and probably has the highest heat transfer ability of all the cores available. that would be the only reason i'd keep one.... if it is good and you live in a really cold area and use the van.

otherwise, i'd put a new core in for reliability, lube the fan well, mount the OEM resistor in the air stream (or do a Jeep mod), and cover the air intake with metal mesh.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
SyncroChrick ......

You really need to go this linked thread and plug up some holes, especially the ram air intake behind the upper grill!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326

Also bleach the living crap out of all of that heater housing plastic! Also bleach all the metal duct that you can reach.
Then set it in the Sun to Bake for a few days. There is little worse than Mouse Pee smell....... well........ except for Cat Pee smell.........

Dave

Dave

thanks for the link(s) - somehow I had missed it. I don't really have many extra sunny days here in Truckee, as it is supposed to start raining/snowing this week....but I will for sure bleach it today.

Strangely enough, there was no smell at all. I did not even think there was a nest before I opened it.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i'm convinced the finning on the OEM heater core is exceptional and probably has the highest heat transfer ability of all the cores available. that would be the only reason i'd keep one.... if it is good and you live in a really cold area and use the van.

otherwise, i'd put a new core in for reliability, lube the fan well, mount the OEM resistor in the air stream (or do a Jeep mod), and cover the air intake with metal mesh.

Dan,

I agree with you. I think this is true with most parts, it's really hard to buy anything that is better than OEM.

I will take another look at it today but I may indeed keep the original core.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

I reused my iriginal 1986 core.
It was tight, no stains from leakage, fins in good shape and it flowed nicely using a garden hose to test.

Still working, no leaks.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

If it pressure tested good I would re-use the original only because it's got more fin area then anything else I've seen out there on the market.
Mine is roasting me when it's down below 40° here.
For some reason people have had a hard time bleeding the air out of some of the aftermarket ones.

Rather then doing the Mullendore Port (which is a great idea.) I opted to provide for a "Lube Tube" coming up through the drivers side defog duct when I replaced my foam and new oem motor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

Since you got al that stuff out of the way and if you have a few extra bucks laying around the Recirc kit from old Vanistan website might be good to do now.

On his new website!
https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

Does his kit allow for rodent control measures?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Does his kit allow for rodent control measures?
Dave
Yes

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

I did an Audi 4000 all copper heater core retrofit along with the Jeep Resistor upgrade. I have the build listed on here somewhere.

The thing roasts me out of the van on full. No issues yet.

I like the Vanistan recirc kit idea. I thought of DIYing my own based off a breadloaf 68-79 design ...
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a heater core? Reply with quote

i really want feedback from someone that has put one of these in ...

http://www.thebrassworks.net/shop/Heater-Cores-Oth..._info.html

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: