Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Remarkable progress you're making. Most would've given up upon realizing the amount of work ahead of them, but you're pushing through. The result will be amazing seeing how skilled you've become. Keep it up!
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Remarkable progress you're making. Most would've given up upon realizing the amount of work ahead of them, but you're pushing through. The result will be amazing seeing how skilled you've become. Keep it up!

Thank you ! My body aches but your comment reignited that spark to get out of bed early and go weld in that floor before my massage shift !! It’s a labor of love !

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."
-- The Alchemist”
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Winter is here in Wisconsin. Make sure your metal is hot enough before you put on filler or paint. To cold and the solvents won’t come out.

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."
-- The Alchemist”
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

You're doing fantastic work. I love seeing people give a rusty a bay a second chance at life.

Thanks for sharing the details on your nose/valence repair. My nose is not as rusty as yours, but I know my inner valence already has some holes in it. I'm getting setup to begin a similar repair and appreciate all the detail you shared. I'm sure I'll be referencing your thread a lot when I am working on mine.

My 1968 Campmobile
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
You're doing fantastic work. I love seeing people give a rusty a bay a second chance at life.

Thanks for sharing the details on your nose/valence repair. My nose is not as rusty as yours, but I know my inner valence already has some holes in it. I'm getting setup to begin a similar repair and appreciate all the detail you shared. I'm sure I'll be referencing your thread a lot when I am working on mine.

I could barely find any information on the inner valence. I spent hours studying it and trying to recreate it from all the rusty templates I had. I also had my brothers rust free bus to analyze. I have pretty detailed videos Id be happy to share and detailed photos and drawings. I’d be happy to share.

-- The Alchemist”
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the inner valence available in the UK at VW heritage or Scofields. I was looking for one for a late bay and it was out of stock. Mine isn’t that bad but looked it up just to understand how it all went together. Sometimes it’s worth getting a part overseas
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the inner valence available in the UK at VW heritage or Scofields. I was looking for one for a late bay and it was out of stock. Mine isn’t that bad but looked it up just to understand how it all went together. Sometimes it’s worth getting a part overseas

I found one but just not as many posts about people doing it

-- The Alchemist”
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

WithTheFlow wrote:
I could barely find any information on the inner valence. I spent hours studying it and trying to recreate it from all the rusty templates I had. I also had my brothers rust free bus to analyze. I have pretty detailed videos Id be happy to share and detailed photos and drawings. I’d be happy to share.

I watched the video you have on youtube. If you have more pictures, I'm not sure I could see too many before I start opening it up. I saw some things in your video I had not yet seen. Made me both more confident and less confident. Rolling Eyes

And Orwell is right. There is a replacement panel available. I haven't ordered that one yet. I have the funky green floor panel already (floor has holes). I think my nose skin is still fine, but we'll see. Razz

My 1968 Campmobile
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

I watched the video you have on youtube. If you have more pictures, I'm not sure I could see too many before I start opening it up. I saw some things in your video I had not yet seen. Made me both more confident and less confident. Rolling Eyes

I got a replacement. And it is a huge job. Once moisture got through the windshield it rusted everything in the front. It always a can of worms and the inner valence is pretty tricky to remove. That being said, I’ve never done anything like this before this bus. Let me know if you have any questions about the anatomy. Cheers!

-- The Alchemist”
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

The welding of the floor went really well. I’ve been a little too obsessed with trying to keep as much epoxy that my welds has a little bit of spatter in one area. Fabricating the rest of the wheel arch from the dog leg was really difficult. I made it one piece but ended up cutting it in 5 pieces to get all the curves to match up. Tricky patch. Now I have the other side to do

-- The Alchemist”
Studiotwosession
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Fabulous thread and great work!
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

-- The Alchemist”
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Love seeing the progress! Thanks again for the back seat!
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:

Thank you! Steve right?!
I remember looking at your thread when you got it 1.5 years ago. Nice progress!!!! Beautiful color on that 73

-- The Alchemist”
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:

Thank you! Steve right?!
I remember looking at your thread when you got it 1.5 years ago. Nice progress!!!! Beautiful color on that 73

-- The Alchemist”
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Not sure progress is good, but it’s getting there. Stoked to have it painted and hope to see you on the road this summer!
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

The windshield rust didn’t really extend past the windshield seal. There is more to fabricate on the inboard and passenger side. The windshield piece from klassic fab extends past the windshield wiper. I’m torn between using it and cutting in to my original clean metal or selling the piece ($250) and just fabricating the the amount that I need.

-- The Alchemist”
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

As others have said, I add my WOW. great work.
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Preserving factory bodylines when ever possible

Only spot where it didn’t line up

-- The Alchemist”
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Welded in the windshield piece. Make sure to use as many of your original body lines as you can.

With that piece in I am fabricating the inner piece up to it. It rotted out on the passenger side where a crappy repair was done and was holding water. Sprayed the back of the piece with zinc weld thru primer

The dash board separates into three pieces. The part wrapped in vinyl that holds your switches and instrument cluster, the metal piece that attaches by the windshield and the trim with the handle on it (taped off with blue in the photo)
I stripped the metal piece to bare metal and welded up a few pinholes. Not sure if i want to fiberglass some of the pitted spots or just leave it with a "worn" look. Its going in SPI black Epoxy.

This Harbor Freight magnetic bowl is awesome

-- The Alchemist”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: