Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Print that, cut it out and stick it on the lid of the AFM:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I never trust my memory and also know I made need that info some rainy night when I am tired & wet.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

x2...BTDT... Rolling Eyes

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
vwrhodie wrote:
My husband isnt too fond of my love for VW's and learning my van, but he can suck it. Without the samba I wouldnt be as jovial but you guys kick a$$ with all your help!

Now that is an attitude we can all get behind! Cool Laughing

Laughing
'84 Rabbit Turbo Diesel 2021
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Print that, cut it out and stick it on the lid of the AFM:

I never trust my memory and also know I made need that info some rainy night when I am tired & wet.

great idea, will do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
rhodie: Sounds like you're on the right track...way to dig in & start getting your hands dirty! Cool

FWIW, as long as your current air filter looks "clean" you could save the new one for your next tune up:
https://theservicestationblog.com/2013/09/10/basics-air-filter-inspection/

...and pay close attention when it's time to swap your plug wires:

(The circle represents the distributor cap, the rectangle represents the spark plugs in the engine block)

- Dave

gotta love how I was looking at the air filter from the wrong angle so it looked nice and new but it most definitely was NOT! changed it out with the new one. thanks for the tip! I got everything replaced and hooked up properly (also put on the new o2 sensor) but the thing is still shakey. Basically doing the same thing. I am going to post a general reply with more info so those who are reading can help meeeee!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Welp, just replaced spark plugs/ignition cables/distributor cap/roter/air filter/o2 sensor and fired her up... still same issue. Definite misfire in one of the cylinders on the right side of the engine bay. the van fires up without issues but begins to misfire after idling for a while. I hear a weird noise too. I want to check the compression but I am at the point where I want to take her into a shop. I am very apprehensive about doing so and thats why I uploaded these videos so that maybe you guys can help.

My neighbor upstairs likes to see what I am doing with the van when he drives by, this time he helped me a ton! That is his voice and arm in the video. Hes a pipe fitter and has tons of tools and gadgets that made this tune up so much easier. Here it is at idle:

Link

Here it is when accelerating:

Link

There arent any trustworthy mechanics near me so I want to chase every tiny thing I can check/change before I throw my hands up and let a shop rip me off. Thank you guys in advance for taking the time to help me out!
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

The first video, under the black box, is that an injector?
Something doesn’t look right, but then again, I’ve been drinking Salva Vida all day in Honduras.
Don’t judge.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Ok.... I posted too soon... have you determined which cylinder is having fits?
Are all the electrical connectors on the injectors on tight?
Pull each one off... one at a time...tense which cylinder is not participating.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Ok.... I posted too soon... have you determined which cylinder is having fits?
Are all the electrical connectors on the injectors on tight?
Pull each one off... one at a time...tense which cylinder is not participating.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Something doesn’t look right, but then again, I’ve been drinking Salva Vida all day in Honduras.
Don’t judge.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
Don’t judge.

Under the black box on the far right is one of the fuel injectors. The black box on the far left has the electrical ignition cable connection underneath it. I will check all the electrical connections on the fuel rails asap. Its gotta be something I did during the fuel line replacement. My air filter is a REALLY tight fit in the engine bay. Wasted or not wasted, I still appreciate your opinion!
HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:

Pulling ignition wires one by one off of the distributor while the engine is idling is a poor mans "power balance" check. When a wire is disconnected, that cylinder is disabled. Ideally, the rpm drop associated with pulling the wire should be the same for all 4 cylinders. If the engine is idling/running poorly and you pull a wire and it makes no difference, then that is the cylinder to investigate. Bad plug, wire, cap and/or rotor can do it.

vwrhodie, have you tried this yet?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Like Dave said...changing fuel lines effected running, seems like it's misfiring after...how are these things connected?

Look at your fuel injectors. Is one not plugged in right? Or, is one not seated right creating a big old vacuum leak? Did you replace the O-rings on the injectors when you did the lines?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Like Dave said...changing fuel lines effected running, seems like it's misfiring after...how are these things connected?

Look at your fuel injectors. Is one not plugged in right? Or, is one not seated right creating a big old vacuum leak? Did you replace the O-rings on the injectors when you did the lines?
Yep, sounds like loose injector. Can you smell raw gasoline?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

In addition to checking for loose stuff and unplugged stuff, and putting in new fuel injector seals if you haven't already (set is 5 bucks)...

You can use a $10 automotive stethoscope to listen to each injector to see if it is opening and closing like the others. YouTube videos for any kind of car will instruct.

You can use a $22 noid light kit to see if the injector plugs are providing the flashing signal to each injector. Pull the plug from an injector, and plug the light into the plug. Bentley tells the procedure.

You can use a $35 multi-meter and your Bentley Manual to roll through a very thorough, and easy, diagnosis of every part of your fuel injection system in under an hour.

We are kind of on the same time-table with fuel lines and casting out demons so thought I'd share some thoughts.

Keep kickin' Ass.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
In addition to checking for loose stuff and unplugged stuff, and putting in new fuel injector seals if you haven't already (set is 5 bucks)...

You can use a $10 automotive stethoscope to listen to each injector to see if it is opening and closing like the others. YouTube videos for any kind of car will instruct.

You can use a $22 noid light kit to see if the injector plugs are providing the flashing signal to each injector. Pull the plug from an injector, and plug the light into the plug. Bentley tells the procedure.

You can use a $35 multi-meter and your Bentley Manual to roll through a very thorough, and easy, diagnosis of every part of your fuel injection system in under an hour.

We are kind of on the same time-table with fuel lines and casting out demons so thought I'd share some thoughts.

Keep kickin' Ass.

Oh... and on the Seafoam idea.

I dumped Seafoam in my tank and my crankcase oil (according to the ratios on the bottle, twist open cap) and Shitake Mushrooms does that stuff WORK. But... its for a specific kinda' problem. My van had sat for 12 years and everything inside everything was gummed up with varnish, and gunk. At first when resurrected the hydraulic lifters were not pumping up, the engine was blowing smoke and burning oil, the fuel system had been full of muck. The Seafoam seems to have dissolved the varnish in the pieces I did not replace, and seems to have melted the gunk and crust in the oil ring of the piston rings, and definitely melted a bunch of garbage out of my crank case. I have changed the oil multiple times in short succession, with each change getting progressively cleaner than the last. The lifters are pumping up. The engine is no longer smoking oil... at all. Unbelievable, yet true.

It did not exercise the demons in the intermittent stumbling and misfiring, however, those were other things.

I never used Seafoam before, but for melting out storage garbage it sure seems like the right tool to me. I will use it to prepare the fuel for winter storage but I will not run it OR ANYTHING in my crank case on a regular basis other than a high quality detergent oil. I changed the oil and filter after running that in there for one weekend just to melt stuff. And a couple more times in quick succession after that too, just to get it all. I figure the chemists at the oil companies have degrees and stuff so I'm not going to mess with their formulas for regular use and driving.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

HBB wrote:
Igeo wrote:

Pulling ignition wires one by one off of the distributor while the engine is idling is a poor mans "power balance" check. When a wire is disconnected, that cylinder is disabled. Ideally, the rpm drop associated with pulling the wire should be the same for all 4 cylinders. If the engine is idling/running poorly and you pull a wire and it makes no difference, then that is the cylinder to investigate. Bad plug, wire, cap and/or rotor can do it.

vwrhodie, have you tried this yet?

nope. I replaced all ignition wires/spark plugs/distributor cap and roter and the engine is still shakey. think I should still try this?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Yes.
Your video shows us that you have a miss in one cylinder. You can isolate the bad one by going through this test. To make it easier, before you start the engine, loosen the wires at the cap a little to break the grip of the boots. Push them back on enough to make contact though. That way it's easy to pull them one at a time and replace.

The video sounds more like a compression leak to me.... like a loose spark plug. Or has it had a known exhaust leak the whole time? Anyway, once you find which cylinder is the culprit, check that plug. Pull it out and post a photo.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Keep kickin' Ass.

Thanks! My fuel line kit (vanagon.com) came with new injector seals that I put in BUT I remember I wasnt able to locate one of the old seals. I tried to dig it out from inside the engine but I didnt try very hard. I am going to go in today and disassemble the injector rail on the passenger side of the engine bay since I can hear something going on in the right side of the engine while its running. The strange thing is that I dont smell ANY gasoline so its definitely not a fuel LEAK. Do you think an extra fuel line seal stuck inside could cause this issue?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

You do need to verify that the seal isn't stuck in the hole/misaligned or missing.
If the injector doesn't seal, that cylinder will suffer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: