Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently out in Brekenridge, Colorado and it is cold. I am worried my engine is running way to cold. It rarely gets above 120 oil temp! So my question is does the 1970 1600cc engine have a thermostat and flaps? I cant find much info on it. I know my engine does not currently have one.

Also any other winter cold temp tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jacob
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

From the factory, yes, but they often got removed. If you get to the point where you want to replace them, I was able to purchase everything (flaps, thermostat, connecting rods) from www.awesomepowdercoat.com.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

I went through the Rockies twice this year in similar weather. The first time was with really thick oil, and the second time was with really thin oil. Interestingly enough, the car started, warmed up, and sounded WAY better with the thinner oil. Make sure you're following VW's oil recommendations for the climate if you can.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just tooling around Breckenridge, your temps don't sound catastrophic, considering the following chart was made for the Australia desert. (Ambients have a HUGE affect on oil temperature.) Get out there and climb a pass or two. Vail has a nice second gear interstate climb and a German beer garden with free parking in the shoulder season. That will burn off any moisture left in your oil! Smile

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

In Colorado I would be using something like a 5w40, 0w30, or 0w40 oil during the winter months.

Yes you need to find all the parts and piece that make the thermostat system work. You can feel around to the front of the fan shroud to see if the levers and rods for the flaps are there or not. Much bigger job is they have been removed and you need to pull the engine and shroud to replace them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

the engine oil should be around 160F once you drive it 10 - 5 minutes. Follow VW's recommended oil viscosity. My instinct tells me that 10W - 30 would be a good all round oil for town and highway driving but maybe 5W - 20, or 5W - 30 if the engine is tight is good too. Just watch your oil pressure to be sure it stays in an acceptable range. You can also consider a block heater or heated garage. No gunning it until it warms up. Sunday will be a low of 7F and a high of 32F. You really need to be sure you have a working thermostat in that kind of temps to stabilize the oil temps once the engine warms up. One thing you don't need is moisture in the oil from condensate if the engine never warms up.

Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

I had a type 3 fastback when i lived in New Hampshire many years ago that had a bad thermostat. A rod bearing went bad due to oil being thinned with fuel from the engine not getting hot enough.

That's what the guy who rebuilt the motor for me said.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
I had a type 3 fastback when i lived in New Hampshire many years ago that had a bad thermostat. A rod bearing went bad due to oil being thinned with fuel from the engine not getting hot enough.

Ouch. In more ways than one.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:

I remember reading something, I think from the 1940's, that said it was normal and desirable to have 6% gas in the oil during cold weather as this allowed the engine to start easier. Of course this was long before multigrades ruled the day.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Gas was used to thin oil for aviation radials too.
But the gas evaporated when the engine temp went up,of course.
No thermostat, no good oil temp, no gas evaporation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Mispeld wrote:

Ouch. In more ways than one.
Robbie

Guy EXchanges engines.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Any ACVW needs to have a working thermostat and flaps regardless of geographic location or ambient temps. Period. Don’t really care what anyone else says or thinks.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Any ACVW needs to have a working thermostat and flaps regardless of geographic location or ambient temps. Period. Don’t really care what anyone else says or thinks.

x2. vote cast.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Jeff Geisen wrote:

x2. vote cast.

On a 90°F day the flaps will be fully open from a cold start in two miles of driving so having a working thermostat is pretty much a waste. At 30°F and below its a whole different story.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Thermostat? Cold Weather? Reply with quote

X3! I'm still haunted an paranoid about thermostats after my fastback incident. But back then it cost me $450 for a rebuild. And my luck... my bus is missing the thermostat, bracket and cable. Stuff I still need to source before I really run it. And tires too. And (insert here).

Air cooled or not, engines need proper temps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: