Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

Wipers were slow so I tried to remove driver side wiper to lube shaft, but the nut took off the shaft. I will get a replacement shaft ASAP but wonder if I can remove the driver wiper and relocate the passenger wiper to clear the windshield on the driver's side? I have some tricky driving ahead. I am planning to rain-x the glass. Can the wiper be relocated to use as I have indicated?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

What year car are we talking about? Some kind of Volkswagen bus, I hope Smile I'm assuming you have a '69+ bus, since you said nut on shaft… The dimensions may or may not be the same, (early bays are identical, but late bays are ambiguous on the microfiche,) but the arms will swap left to right in a weather emergency just fine.

Full tutorial on motor and shaft removal here:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9136

Pay special attention to this paragraph on here to clean your wiper shaft splines for proper seating of new arms. This applies every time the arms come off. No exceptions:

Amskeptic wrote:
Find the little splines on the wiper shafts and pick them clean with the edge of a razor blade. There are many splines, and you are going to do each one. This is to help you, so deal with it, Every one. The shafts have very little leverage to move the ten pounds of snow off the windshield that you were too lazy to clear off, and the splines are the only way the wipers will have a chance.

Good luck and get there safe!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

there isn't rain in California until mid-to-late week. By then you can have the part and do the job once.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
there isn't rain in California until mid-to-late week. By then you can have the part and do the job once.

But taking out the wiper motor is so fun! You have extra chances to short out a hot wire because you forgot to disconnect the battery, extra chances to rip the rubber wiper shaft grommets, extra chances to reassemble the wiper motor shaft one tooth (or twenty six teeth) off, and you get to redress all the shaft splines every time!

Sounds like a nice day to me. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

I am thinking you would have to move the motor from the side to side to do what you are talking about. Not sure there is room to do this and it would certainly be quite the undertaking if it did fit.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I am thinking you would have to move the motor from the side to side to do what you are talking about. Not sure there is room to do this and it would certainly be quite the undertaking if it did fit.

I assumed the OP was talking about the threaded pivot shafts with the ball jont ends. They can be removed from the big black wiper support and swapped around as needed.

Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Not bus pivots, but you get the point.)
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

Dont think anyone got my idea which was to make the pass side wiper cover the left. Just the same, I found that the right side nut carefully removed withg solvet this time was able to grab enough thread on the broken shaft to tighten it up fine. Then found another nut which fit the pass side. So I now have a permanent repair. Plus I already did the rain=x treatment.
No rain expected but I am talking about the mountains and not sure when I can cross them. It does look like I can get a shaft from cip1 but now no emergency at all. I would hate to take those hairpin curves with bad visibility. /Thanks for all answers. Unable to get stub out of old nut no how no way so far but small loss.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

richard123vmt wrote:
Dont think anyone got my idea which was to make the pass side wiper cover the left. Just the same, I found that the right side nut carefully removed withg solvet this time was able to grab enough thread on the broken shaft to tighten it up fine. Then found another nut which fit the pass side. So I now have a permanent repair. Plus I already did the rain=x treatment.
No rain expected but I am talking about the mountains and not sure when I can cross them. It does look like I can get a shaft from cip1 but now no emergency at all. I would hate to take those hairpin curves with bad visibility. /Thanks for all answers. Unable to get stub out of old nut no how no way so far but small loss.

not to bust your balls but you are more worried about losing the nut because the shaft broke off than fixing it right? I am missing something here. There is a lot of torque on that shaft when the wipers are rotating.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

richard123vmt wrote:

Some people drill the end of the shaft out and tap it to take a bolt. You also want to use a 7mm washer between the fastener and the washer arm so that the pressure from the nut or bolt is against the washer arm and not against the shoulder of the shaft. This is not as big up a problem with Bays as Vanagons but it can still be a problem.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

There is lot of torque on that shaft when the wipers are rotating.

What you are missibg or more likely forgetting is that the wiper arm and thge shaft are splined. So actually there is no torque. But operating it without the nut it is sirely going to fly off pretty soon. Another thing is that the inside of the wiper arm is soft aluminum. So it may be possible to pull if down tight exposing a litttle more shaft. But not with the aluminum nut. It is great the way I have got it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to use passenger side wiper to clear drivers side? Reply with quote

richard123vmt wrote:
There is lot of torque on that shaft when the wipers are rotating.

What you are missibg or more likely forgetting is that the wiper arm and thge shaft are splined. So actually there is no torque. But operating it without the nut it is sirely going to fly off pretty soon. Another thing is that the inside of the wiper arm is soft aluminum. So it may be possible to pull if down tight exposing a litttle more shaft. But not with the aluminum nut. It is great the way I have got it.

Richard - not missing anything. Mine work really well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: