Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

The pop top canvas in my '86 needs to be replaced. I bought a new canvas, but am having trouble finding a shop to install it. It seems logical to have a Volkswagen garage do the job, but am having a hard time finding one. My regular mechanic does not do this sort of work.

As Vanagons become rarer, it seems there are fewer people who work on them. I am located in western NC. Should we begin a thread with a current list of known garages who work on Vanagons in NC and also by state, like the old VW dealership maps & directories that came with new VWs?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Bit of a distance from hickory but Asheville VeeDub and Westy Motorwerks are in, well, Asheville.

I remember there being a couple in Charlotte listed on roadhaus.com
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Roadhaus.com lists several in the western part of the state; W-S, Mt. Airy, Newton, Hendersonville, etc.

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_advanced_search_results2.php
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Try an auto or marine upholstery shop, this project is canvas and screws, not much Volkswagen about it. Good luck.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

You do want to find a shop that has done this before. It is a PITA the first time.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

upholstery shops here in tucson do them. call a local upholstery shop that works on collectable cars. ill bet they have seen this project before.
although its a great DIY

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses.

I have never replaced a pop top canvas and really would like to do this myself, but I have no help, no garage and am leery of doing it on my own without any help from someone who has. I know some of the local VW garages, but they do not do pop top canvas installations. I will check with an upholstery shop. That makes sense to me.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

The first time I did one I had never done it before. No helper. Took a while but got it done. There are plenty of good topics here on how to do it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of a canvas replacement myself. I say in the middle because our van is still at the paint/body shop and the cleaned pop top with new canvas installed is sitting upside down in my garage on saw horses along with a cleaned luggage rack. A couple of comments based on your posts.

You will need at least one assistant. I know a guy locally that did one by himself without removing the top from his van. I don't know how he did it this way but he did since he did not have anyone to assist him.

You don't need a garage unless you're doing it on a rainy or snowy day.

You do need to watch the videos on You Tube that Go Westy and others have posted for the type of attachment of the canvas to the top (staples or screws) you have.

You need to take the time to clean the pop top inside and out while you have it off the van. We just used a spray bottle with diluted bleach water and a soft brush along with the hose to thoroughly rinse everything. The bleach water did a great job on both the inside flocking and on the outside of the top.

You can definitely do it yourself if you take your time and follow the instructions and process described in the videos.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
...I have never replaced a pop top canvas and really would like to do this myself, but I have no help, no garage and am leery of doing it on my own without any help from someone who has...

I had never done one, no garage tall enough to pop the top inside and no one to help.

Parked it under a shady tree and went at it. Several false starts thanks to a vendor who couldn't supply the right tent but the task itself was pretty easy once I had the right canvas. I left the fiberglass top on (since I had no helper) and thought that a pretty good approach -- very controlled and good have closed it up if the weather turned to rain.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

I’m ready to tackle this over the Thanksgiving weekend. There are good videos on how to and it really doen’t look that hard, if you take your time. I ended up with the Bus Depot canvas, after careful consideration. Can’t wait.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

"Not that hard" Hmm. No, not technically, but I'm certainly not looking forward to doing it again. I'm sure when the time comes I will, if I'm still physically able that is.

Take your time. Take lots of breaks, and follow the directions carefully. The Bus Depot tops are good but VERY tight. No room for slack at all.

Something to be thankful for this week - At least you won't have to deal with staples like with the older vans! Very Happy

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts on the subject. Through the suggestions and RoadHaus, I was able to locate a shop in Asheville, NC, who will install the canvas for me.

I have heard before that the Bus Depot canvases are tight, which is why I went there. I think canvases that look like baggy sails are very unattractive.

I have watched the GoWesty video on canvas installation and if I had at least another helper, I would be more inclined to do this job myself.

I plan on taking full advantage of the top being off and am planning to scrub it with bleach water, install new seals and possibly see about getting it painted. After installing the new skylight kit, one of the fasteners drips a drop or two of water in heavy rain, so I need to look into that as well.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

They probably wont remove the top. If all you have them doing is installing the canvass they will probably do it with the top on your rig. I never removed mine. Ive done two now and they are not terribly hard to do without removing the shell. its a half day job for one guy with the right tools and skills.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
...I plan on taking full advantage of the top being off...

Sounds like you're trying for 'as new' looks and performance. That's great.

One other thing you might examine is the condition of the 'knees'.

Mine showed signs of internal wear - note how the inner portion extends out on the back side beyond the outer fitting:

It should be concentric with the outer portion and not visibly sticking out as in this photo from after the repair:

The cause is wear on the push bar which can become so extreme that it actually cuts though the bar (only visible upon disassembly):

More details available on the fix (if needed).
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Thank you all for your responses.

I have never replaced a pop top canvas and really would like to do this myself, but I have no help, no garage and am leery of doing it on my own without any help from someone who has. I know some of the local VW garages, but they do not do pop top canvas installations. I will check with an upholstery shop. That makes sense to me.

I'm in Elkin, NC - I've done this job and would be happy to help you do it. Here's the thread I posted. PM me if you want to takle this on your own with some help Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679800&highlight=
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

I'm in Charlotte and replaced mine some years past and went with the Bus Depot offering and was pleased with the fit. Did it by myself and didn't remove the top from the bus though it got a little tight working at the rear but wasn't bad and the time involved was one afternoon. Had it on now for 10 years and it's still in great shape and I've found the 3 windows are much improved over the original single version.
Good luck & keep us updated.
87 Syncro GL
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

breakout the beers and a fiddle brah its time for a topless van party.
Boo hoo! Dancing Applause

Let us know how it goes. Popcorn

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

My dad and I did ours over 3 days. Took the top off. Staple in. It probably took us 6 hours total.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Installation / North Carolina service garages Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
...Sounds like you're trying for 'as new' looks and performance. That's great... One other thing you might examine is the condition of the 'knees'... More details available on the fix (if needed).

Tease Much?!!! Laughing

I was curious so I looked. Here is your fix as posted in this wonderful thread about everything push bar repair: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...=fix+knees

Ahwahnee wrote:
Since my prior pics are now dead links I thought I'd repost those for future searchers.

What the joint looked like before - note misalignment of the round bits (was getting very hard to lift):

What the insides looked like (slot is where rotating piece had cut through):

Bushings from Ace Hardware used inside the bar to fill the space and allow the slots to be welded up:

All welded up:

Slices of iron pipe welded to create bushings & a larger surface for the bar to rotate against:

The after pic (compare the misalignment in the first photo):

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: