Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV in 1970 Bus.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

In my experience, the T4 engine into early bay bus fit when converted to upright cooling (and it is cool!). If you leave the stock cooling in place then yes you would have some clearing out to do for sure.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

I'll just throw my $.02 in..

IMHO, the best thing you could do to your early Bus, if you want to put a lot of miles on, is do type 4.
(OK, or maybe Subaru)

The Joe Cali method is cheap, and easier if you buy some of the parts vs. making.
The DTM is expensive, super easy, and cools best.

A couple of small things, like was mentioned, a conversion flywheel,
And, in your case, an exhaust.

They even make a hanger bar just for the conversion:
https://type4store.com/type-4-conversion-mount-bar.html

FWIW, the type 4 motor is actually narrower than the type 1.
You could do the conversion with very little hackage to the bus itself.

No matter what you do to try and soup-up a type 1,
It will never have the designed-in strength and reliability of the type 4.

What’s That Noise?!?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Bagger04 wrote:
Spike0180 bought a 70 with a 1700 type iv in it. Maybe he will chime in with some insite. He changed his back to type 1

Yeah, when I bought my bus it had a type 4 pretty much just thrown in. They hacked out the engine seal tracks on the outside drivers side and bent the other one down. Hack sawed the air filter stand and then drilled and bolted the type 4 engine hanger across the rails. The rear valance was cut as well. It was going to be a good amount of work to get the engine compartment to seal up though I do believe it could have been done, but I had a ton of endplay on my engine so it was on barrowed time. Then I got the OK from my wife to spend my bonus money on a new engine. All this lead me to going back to a type 1 (1776cc that is essentially a race engine).

If you're going to do a type 4 conversion (which I don't suggest using the 914 engine due to its design for a lightweight car and not pushing around a 4000lb bus), Id suggest doing a DTM conversion or some other proper conversion utilizing the type 1 cooling system. It just doesn't fit great, and is heavier and more powerful (torqueing your trans/engine more) so I'd suggest having the trans hanger to assist with the extra weight though I didn't use the engine long enough to see any negative effects (that I know of).

The engine design of the type 4 is for sure a better design. More robust, easier to work on in an early bus, and just more modern. And with the removable rear apron I had essentially no reason to have to pull the engine for any work. Everything was accessible other than pulling heads.

My original plan when I bought the bus was to keep the engine and seal off the engine bay with homemade engine tin. I think it was achievable and living in Michigan probably would have been fine. Had my engine not had like 1/8" of end play I think I would have done this. It would have looked like crap, but probably cooled fine. I think you would want the raised part of the engine bay (on the front left side of the engine bay by the rear valance) from a late bay.

Overall: do what you want, if you put a type 4 into your early bay it'll drive well but is going to be a decent amount of fabrication any way you cut it (hehehe). But if you make a hanger, please please please don't hack off the original type 1 hangers so you can bolt over them. Cut up your engine crass bar to fit the type 1 hangers. Those things were a b^&ch to get off and get in new ones.

Some pictures:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Feel free to reach out, I'm willing to discuss.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The 914 heads have a different intake bolt pattern, but I don’t think they had different plug angles...

Yes, the plugs come in from the side not the top! This was for a better flame front

If you can do the required mods , I'd run it!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

[imgs]
Yes, the plugs come in from the side not the top! This was for a better flame front

Thanks for the pics Geoff!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Just to clarify I have the engine but not the bus. I had a good lead on a cheap 1970 roller but that just fell through. Talk about cart before the horse.
Spike, you mentioned you wouldn't use a 914 engine for a transplant. I'm starting to think so as well. My engine is a 2056 with a webcam 86 and 9.1 compression and 44 Webers. Maybe not ideal for a heavy bus even though it makes good power and torque, it may not make the torque down low. This engine is from Eric Shea at PMB performance.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Jmtr wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Just to clarify I have the engine but not the bus. I had a good lead on a cheap 1970 roller but that just fell through. Talk about cart before the horse.
Spike, you mentioned you wouldn't use a 914 engine for a transplant. I'm starting to think so as well. My engine is a 2056 with a webcam 86 and 9.1 compression and 44 Webers. Maybe not ideal for a heavy bus even though it makes good power and torque, it may not make the torque down low. This engine is from Eric Shea at PMB performance.

Web 86 is a pretty mild cam. Often chosen for bus use.
Might take a few cylinder base shims to get 8:1 or so..

If the motor is not a factory 2.0 914 with the angle plug heads like shown above (most 914s aren’t),
Then there’s no real reason to not use a 914 motor..
Same thing, really.. A couple of small mods.
The bus motor build in my sig was a 914 converted to bus use of you’re interested in details.. FWIW.

What’s That Noise?!?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Surprised you guys never see the madness...split guys use the t4 now and then, not very far off from early bay engine size...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

I don't see a problem in using a 914 type4 engine in early bay. Already have it some time in my 67 bay.

I did myself a good favor in installing a motorhatch from T3 bus.

Spent quite some time to get the crossbeam customized.

1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Jmtr wrote:

Web 86 is a pretty mild cam. Often chosen for bus use.
Might take a few cylinder base shims to get 8:1 or so..

If the motor is not a factory 2.0 914 with the angle plug heads like shown above (most 914s aren’t),
Then there’s no real reason to not use a 914 motor..
Same thing, really.. A couple of small mods.
The bus motor build in my sig was a 914 converted to bus use of you’re interested in details.. FWIW.

Yes, and yes. High compression in a heavy bus without electronic ignition control is recipe for knock. I have 9.25:1 compression in my 1776. I have to use 91+ octane and I have to retard the timing to 28.5. I still get good power, because compression is power adding for sure! And if it does have bus heads on it like clatter said it could be ok. But like you said it'll be more of a screamer than a nice cruiser. Living in Detroit, I don't mind the screamer because it helps me keep up with traffic lol. Its personal preference though. My next motor will likely be a running unknown 1600cc motor that I throw my nice volksbitz 34pict3 on. Easy to tune, I don't have to worry about tuning jets or anything, I'd really like that since I don't have an AF ratio sensor. Idk, there are pro and cons to both. I like my motor, it makes great power but a stock would be less worry and if its essentially free ($300 or so) I wouldn't mind beating it to hell and back and only getting 4000 miles and lots of smiles out of it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

the dominator wrote:
I don't see a problem in using a 914 type4 engine in early bay.

Now that’s a sweet piece of kit right there..
Do I spy a 901 as well?
It either has a low r/p, short tires, or flies to the moon! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

914 2.0 heads are prone to cracking around the plug boss.
Even in a 914.. Especially with the 5-speed, because they got lugged.
High throttle plate angle, and fan not turning fast enough..

96 cylinders aren’t ideal for bus use either,
But many have used them.

You could run a 2056 with 2.0 heads and a Web 86 @ 9:1,
And it would really be fun, actually.

But you would have to be a ninja with tune and care.
You couldn’t be your typical lazy slob bus driver;
Out of tune, loaded to the gills, left lane, foot on the floor, no gauges, leaky exhaust, cheap gas, etc...

What’s That Noise?!?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

The trick for making 914 heads last is the Thermal Coating which really stops the plug boss from cracking to a valve seat. Otherwise yes, they crack. People have also welded in the plug boss to use smaller sparkplugs.

Mine at final install.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
the dominator wrote:
I don't see a problem in using a 914 type4 engine in early bay.

Now that’s a sweet piece of kit right there..
Do I spy a 901 as well?
It either has a low r/p, short tires, or flies to the moon! Cool

Guilty as charged, we have reached 180km/h on the dyno. But cruising speed in 5tb gear is 130km/h, so along with the rest of the traffic.
1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
Jmtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Clatter, awesome Bus motor build.

Here are some pics of the engine and exhaust. It currently has 1976 912E engine tin on right now. This motor was supposed to go in a 1969 912 but I may want to stick with the numbers matching engine, who knows?

Does this exhaust look like it will clear under a bus? I know it exits the other side. I can do some rear apron mods if necessary. If I do go through with this I would just look for a 1972 or later bus to simplify things.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

the dilemma has never been about making HP and torque in a bus. It has to do with cooling when one is pushing a sheet of plywood down the highway at 65 MPH into a headwind - or climbing a long grade in summer fully loaded with the family, dog and all the camping gear. A 411, 412, 914-4 or 912E doesn't get this abuse. It is easier to build an engine made to scream around the track than build an engine that lasts forever in a bus. Really.
Jmtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

SGKent I have to agree. I have read threads over on 914World about 914's head temps near 400* from long inclines. It still amazes me that these buses can get around with single carbed 1600cc type 1's.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Jmtr wrote:
SGKent I have to agree. I have read threads over on 914World about 914's head temps near 400* from long inclines. It still amazes me that these buses can get around with single carbed 1600cc type 1's.

The problem with 914's cooling is the lack of air into the engine as the roofline blocks the air flow creating a hole behind the rear window. Cooling air is tough to get ina midengine. I run 9 to 1 CR in my 2.1L with a early Raby cam so head temps are in the 350-375F range crusing at 70-80mph. Oil stays at 220F.
A bus has tons of cooling air flowing into the engine compartment so it should do fine as if a stock USA engine it has 7.6 to 1 CR not far off a bus 7.3 to 1.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Jmtr wrote:

The problem with 914's cooling is the lack of air into the engine as the roofline blocks the air flow creating a hole behind the rear window. Cooling air is tough to get ina midengine. I run 9 to 1 CR in my 2.1L with a early Raby cam so head temps are in the 350-375F range crusing at 70-80mph. Oil stays at 220F.
A bus has tons of cooling air flowing into the engine compartment so it should do fine as if a stock USA engine it has 7.6 to 1 CR not far off a bus 7.3 to 1.

never happen. Real head temps on a 2L bus are right at 400 at 60 MPH and will climb to 450 is that bus speeds up much. This is on a 85F to 95F day. Oil temps will be around 240F under the same conditions - which is why the temps get so high on long grades - one is already elevated. If you ever drive thru a swarm of bugs you'll see them all over your windshield in a bus but not all over the engine compartment, nor splattered on the intakes. I've never done a smoke test but I would guess that at 65 MPH the bus intakes aren't pressuring the engine bay as much as you think they might. Rear facing cooling might be an issue in a 914 at 90 MPH, but not at 60 MPH. There is a reason Len doesn't work on many used bus heads.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV in 1970 Bus. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the dilemma has never been about making HP and torque in a bus. It has to do with cooling when one is pushing a sheet of plywood down the highway at 65 MPH into a headwind - or climbing a long grade in summer fully loaded with the family, dog and all the camping gear. A 411, 412, 914-4 or 912E doesn't get this abuse. It is easier to build an engine made to scream around the track than build an engine that lasts forever in a bus. Really.

No...its not ANY easier at all to build a 411, 412 or 914 engine than a bus engine. Its just as hard. However......Its easy to make a sloppy engjne for a 411/412/914.....and have it drive ok....simply because of the higher gearing and lower weight.

Its just a totally different combo.....and it used to be that in those higher HP.....and yet lower revving engine just mentioned (because we typically run higher gearing than a bus).....we used to have more choices for proper parts.....so it made it easier to make a properly built engine for a 411/412/914 at one time....but it has still never been easier to build a 412 or 914 engine....unless you are willing to put up with an anemic slug engine. In that case....it may as well be a type 1.

Sadly.....outside of custom pistons and HAM heads on new castings.....which makes it no different than a bus.....just about all you can get now in "quality" type 4 cylinders and pistons....are for a bus.....which makes the bus engine now easier to build. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: