Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I am so glad you are taking these pictures, my bus roof looks exactly the same. This forum is invaluable to my restoration process. And by the way, Mastercoat should be sending you some commission for all the paint I’m buying from them. I also have a quart of PPG 33127 fleet gray for the underside.

I’m also planning on spraying the internals of the front while i have the nose off.
braddick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Once again, love your work
Really enjoying your build
diegormz82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice Job! I'm working also in my 1963 15 windows and definitely all this process you're describing here will be very helpful!!

regards

Diego R
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
I am so glad you are taking these pictures, my bus roof looks exactly the same. This forum is invaluable to my restoration process. And by the way, Mastercoat should be sending you some commission for all the paint I’m buying from them. I also have a quart of PPG 33127 fleet gray for the underside.

I’m also planning on spraying the internals of the front while i have the nose off.

My friend JP sold me on it. Some of my other friends have used it since. It is an awesome product!!!
I hope you have a better time fixing your roof. I can’t wait to get through with mine. It all needs to be done though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

braddick wrote:
Once again, love your work
Really enjoying your build

Much appreciated. Can’t wait to drive it. 😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

diegormz82 wrote:
Nice Job! I'm working also in my 1963 15 windows and definitely all this process you're describing here will be very helpful!!

regards

Diego R

Let me know if you need any photos of specific areas. I seem to have compiled quite a few. Good luck with your project.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I still haven't decided exactly what I am going to do with the roof. I was going to save as much of the OG roof that I could, but what is left currently will still need repairs There are rust holes from where the roof was dented in, etc.). I am trying to decide if I should replace the whole skin. I would still need to use multiple pieces since I do not have an entire clip. I am getting all of the pieces prepped so we could go either way, I am leaning towards replacing the entire roof skin. Here is where we are:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The front donor section fits well:

Punching holes:

Prepped:

Final fit:

Ready to weld (if I replace the whole skin, I am going to remove the donor section going over the cargo doors. That piece will need to go on the other side to repair the rusted donor piece)

The other main roof section is from the 60 15 window bus hanging on the shop wall. The spot welds from the 65 roof clip had spot welds holding the skin to the drip rail spaced about every 1/2" The guy welding the roof on the 60 must have been paid for each spot! Maybe he was new and trying to be impressive!

I'm going to prep this roof with the intention of using the entire rear section, and see what happens:

I stopped last night around 6 Hopefully the rust haze has cleared up.
Happy Thanksgiving. I hope everyone gets to spend some quality time with family, and in the shop!!!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
The spot welds from the 65 roof clip had spot welds holding the skin to the drip rail spaced about every 1/2" The guy welding the roof on the 60 must have been paid for each spot! Maybe he was new and trying to be impressive!

My 64 had very different spot weld spacing from side to side. The rear fender had twice as many spots on the right as left. Don't think they cared much.

Looks like your old roof is hardly held on at all. Just a few spots on the ribs. I would remove it and use the new one. Likely a lot less work and you can do most of it on the bench. Will be easier fixing the drip rail also.

Looking very nice!
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
The spot welds from the 65 roof clip had spot welds holding the skin to the drip rail spaced about every 1/2" The guy welding the roof on the 60 must have been paid for each spot! Maybe he was new and trying to be impressive!

My 64 had very different spot weld spacing from side to side. The rear fender had twice as many spots on the right as left. Don't think they cared much.

Looks like your old roof is hardly held on at all. Just a few spots on the ribs. I would remove it and use the new one. Likely a lot less work and you can do most of it on the bench. Will be easier fixing the drip rail also.

Looking very nice!

There was not much holding the roof down at all. It amazes me that the drip rail is mostly intact. Based on the length of the needed welds and the condition of the old roof, I am going to replace the whole skin with the pieces I have kicking around. The more I dig, the more I find needing repairs.
Thanks Stan!
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice work on the roof so far! As you found out, it's very difficult to dissect a donor roof and save all the pieces. I've found those spot welds right next to each other before, making a continuous weld. I think your approach of grinding the gutter and support away from the skin is a good one. Your gutter and upper support doesn't look too bad but can't tell? It's nice that Autocraft makes those parts now and WW sells them here but some of those pieces are difficult to ship so not sure if that helps you.

Anyway, looking forward to see how you sort this all out and great to see you getting near the end. Thanks for sharing!
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

My mind is blown! I’m sitting here pretending to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the kids while mentally tossing off to this thread. Incredible work. Every bus I cut up in the 90s was restorable apparently ....
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I've enjoyed this particular thread from day one. Just amazing the skills and patience that's gone into this great build. Thanks again for sharing. The roof is going to be awesome-I can already tell!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Does that one rear roof have speaker mounts?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
Nice work on the roof so far! As you found out, it's very difficult to dissect a donor roof and save all the pieces. I've found those spot welds right next to each other before, making a continuous weld. I think your approach of grinding the gutter and support away from the skin is a good one. Your gutter and upper support doesn't look too bad but can't tell? It's nice that Autocraft makes those parts now and WW sells them here but some of those pieces are difficult to ship so not sure if that helps you.

Anyway, looking forward to see how you sort this all out and great to see you getting near the end. Thanks for sharing!

There would have been nothing left had I drilled out the spot welds. It was painful ruining the drip rail, though. I did have a couple of bad spots on my rail, but nothing that will be seen, and nothing a few pieces of steel couldn’t fix. I was hoping to be ready to start putting the roof back together today, but it was not meant to be. Tomorrow though, I should be able to make some progress.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
My mind is blown! I’m sitting here pretending to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the kids while mentally tossing off to this thread. Incredible work. Every bus I cut up in the 90s was restorable apparently ....

Haha. Thanks
BTW we have all cut stuff up along the way. I hope you recycled.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

mcarls wrote:
I've enjoyed this particular thread from day one. Just amazing the skills and patience that's gone into this great build. Thanks again for sharing. The roof is going to be awesome-I can already tell!

I have learned a lot from working on this bus. I know my son has learned a lot too. I appreciate you checking out the thread. I now have a plan for the roof.
I am hoping tomorrow will be the day.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Does that one rear roof have speaker mounts?

It does (did. I removed them and set them aside). That roof is from the 60 15 window that is hanging on my shop wall. The 63 15 window didn’t have any.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I fixed the rusted hole in the drip rail:

I cleaned up the rest of the drip rail and started prepping the main donor roof section:

The 63 roof had 7 tabs in the rear of the roof to hold a rod for the head liner. The 60 only had 3 and they were farther forward than the ones on the 63:

Now the fun begins:

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Wow... just....wow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Wow... just....wow.

I figured I took everything else apart, why not go all the way. 🤷🏽‍♂️😁
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 86

Jump to: