Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The sliding door that don't want to slide...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

Hi guys!!!

my sliding door didn't want to fully open on itself and was not easy to close so I decided to refresh it Wink

After reading a lot of thread I had a precise plan on how to do it. So I started by removing the door and the hinge. I dismantle it and clean every part, free all rollers, and polished the 'U' piece as good as I can. Then I fitted a brand new nylon guide, remove all of the old crappy grease on all rails.
That was a good day of work and greasy hands Laughing

After all of this effort I put the door back on its rail, it slides really good now and close it. Now for the moment of glory Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I open it and ..... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad the door won't fully open... in fact it open just a little bit 15-20 cm (just in front of the kitchen unit of my campmobile).

I am so f**** frustrated!!! All the rollers looks in good shape, the U is really ok and greased, I try with some fine lube on the rail or without and absolutely no difference. The spring looks ok so I have absolutely no idea where to look now Question Question Question

Should I replace all rollers? the spring ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

Sounds like the swinging link isn't unlatching, compare yours to step 5 here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

Thanks for the input but not quite sure of what is the "swinging link" ?

Here is colin's pic of how to align the "swinging link"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and mine

What do you think ? for me it looks right (I just guess the difference is the hinge model mine is a 71)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

have you watched it with the cover off? There are also the front top, and the bottom roller(s). Did you clean out the lower track of pebbles, and make sure that it is intact, and not rusted thru? Do both the top and lower rollers roll smoothly?
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

yes I watch with the cover off and all rollers work, they have been cleaned and greased. I also clean all the rails and even sanded the surface smoothly.
The door slide really well by hand but just not on its own Crying or Very sad
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

I may be absolutely talking out of my ass - but -

The long pivoting lever with a little 'hook' on the end is not installed in the same orientation on your lock as in Colin's photo. They are 180* off.

Did you perhaps just install that piece that incorrectly?

I'm guessing it matters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

yes I saw that too in colin's pic! but I didn't took the levers apart because I didn't succeeded to do so Confused and in fact there are two levers and they are the exact opposite as colin's one, so I think it may be that we have not the same version of the mechanism, mine is a t2a...

I will search the gallery to maybe find a t2a hinge....

but for me I don't think it is the issue Crying or Very sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

Where is the second (back side) arm? If it is behind the first then the closest arm is upside down. If it is missing then time for a replacement hinge.

lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

yes but ... no

as you can see there are two levers that are parallel, in Colin pic the one lock is the first, on mine the second is lock, but is in the same position as the one of Colin clear ? Laughing I really think the two levers are exactly the same just the order is different and in the gallery I found some other t2a hinge with the lever in the same position as mine.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

lmaoufle wrote:
yes but ... no

as you can see there are two levers that are parallel, in Colin pic the one lock is the first, on mine the second is lock, but is in the same position as the one of Colin clear ? Laughing I really think the two levers are exactly the same just the order is different and in the gallery I found some other t2a hinge with the lever in the same position as mine.

I can't follow you with the photo you have. You need to post some other photos. from different angles.

Historically these parts are the cost of shipping and $25. Right now because reproductions are out there folks want $100 plus for one, someone was asking $375. Wait awhile and you can find one for next to nothing - like $15 - every bay made had one on it. It isn't like there is a shortage of them.

lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

I try to take some pics but it's already late and rainy today so excuse the poor pics

You can see here the two levers that are in different order if you have a t2a or t2b

I try to take some video too, here is what is currently happening when I open the door
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eJAJVbejXMPqFpKn7

The top roller on its rail doing its job
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oe2rqna23KrunNM5A

The bottom rollers having a blast
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wPFSyyrNhG99k51V8

and the rear roller on its highway
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dt3uUpLSLbjbBuuk7

and the two levers doing their jobs
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7nVcifHBuuXiCwF6

so anyone see something here???? something must be wrong!!
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

lmaoufle wrote:

I try to take some video too, here is what is currently happening when I open the door
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eJAJVbejXMPqFpKn7

so anyone see something here???? something must be wrong!!

Bonjour! This operation looks 100% normal. Are you thinking the door will slide all the way open? It likely will not.
sunnydog
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The sliding door that don't want to slide... Reply with quote

Check the lower track. When I repaired the slider in my beast, the lower roller was no longer & someone welded in a strip of steel to compensate for the missing roller. When I installed the door with a new roller, it was tight & would no longer slide when the door got close to all the way open or all the way closed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: