Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will VW prices keep going up?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

The way things are going, I think in 20 years the internal combustion engine will be outlawed in most countries and if there is enough processing power by then to make self driving cars a reality, no one will have to own any vehicle.
Need a truck? Click one up. Need a big van to shuttle a bunch of people? Click one up. No more insurance, speeding tickets, DUI. I wonder how municipalities will recoup the lost revenue.
I can foresee the day when one will have to get a special permit to drive their antique car around, have to go somewhere special just to get gas and probably only be able to drive it on secondary roads on certain days.

^ exactly this. will a 'classic car' still have value if you cannot get the fuel or oil to run it? I think not. so I figure that before this point the smart money will be selling off their investments and that will bring prices down due to saturation. of course to many of us these cars are more of a hobby/interest and/or non depreciating transport rather than an investment - at least beetles can be converted to electric power.
incidentally one of the heads of VW was telling the company to wake up to the future because it is looking bleak for car makers as each autonomous hire car would replace ten owned cars...
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

The way things are going, I think in 20 years the internal combustion engine will be outlawed in most countries and if there is enough processing power by then to make self driving cars a reality, no one will have to own any vehicle.
Need a truck? Click one up. Need a big van to shuttle a bunch of people? Click one up. No more insurance, speeding tickets, DUI. I wonder how municipalities will recoup the lost revenue.
I can foresee the day when one will have to get a special permit to drive their antique car around, have to go somewhere special just to get gas and probably only be able to drive it on secondary roads on certain days.

^ exactly this. will a 'classic car' still have value if you cannot get the fuel or oil to run it? I think not. so I figure that before this point the smart money will be selling off their investments and that will bring prices down due to saturation. of course to many of us these cars are more of a hobby/interest and/or non depreciating transport rather than an investment - at least beetles can be converted to electric power.
incidentally one of the heads of VW was telling the company to wake up to the future because it is looking bleak for car makers as each autonomous hire car would replace ten owned cars...

A classic car WILL have value, but a VW or a Corvette or a SS 427 Camaro will not. They are NOT Classic cars. If untouched they would be considered Antique cars, modified they might be considered collector cars. I'd have check the status, but I don't think any Classic Car is post 1948 yet.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

I was using the uk definition of classic car which covers post ww2 cars through to the 1980s. we do have collector's cars but don't have the quaint term antique car over here.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

It’s a matter of what was available 45-60 years ago. Tack on 15-20 years to that, and that is the age of the crowd that has the expendable cash to buy something to relive their youth. The owner of the shop I work at has concours restored a few Model T’s, and Model A’s. One of those, concours restored, went for around $25k in the 80’s. One of those, concours restored, goes for about $25k in 2018. The generation that was mostly interested in that era of cars for the most part has passed on. Prices aren’t going to “go down” for another 10-20 years untill the majority of VW enthusiasts have literally died off. Then there are the “unique”, “cult”, or “status” vehicles that get purchased by all age groups. A customer bought a 97 Aircooled 911 Turbo a few years back, and the value of it grew about 225% in 18 months. A mid 60’s Ferrari Lusso the place I work at completed in 2013 has increased in value some 350% in the last 5 years. Like some have mentioned, there are still deals to be had, but you have to be at the right place/right time. You usually have to be first in line with cash in hand driving your truck/trailer before the seller has time to “look it up on the net”. Then they give you a price that’s 1000% more than the vehicle is worth since another one “just like it” went for this much at Barret Jackson/Mecum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

If you're into this for the money, forget it. Aside from high demand specific models (I'm looking at YOU 21 window... Mad ) or pristine low original mile units, they aren't worth what we put into them.

the 64 SharkDaughter and I are restoring was purchased for $800. When we're done it'll be a $5k bug, but will have hundreds of hours of labor in it and several thousands of dollars.

No, for me it's the enjoyment we get out of the vehicles. Even my beater 68 Baja is just a fun car to work on, to drive, and to talk about. Whatever the car costs, I get more than that out of it in the joy of owning it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Of course prices go up
Because of inflation Razz
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
If you're into this for the money, forget it. Aside from high demand specific models (I'm looking at YOU 21 window... Mad ) or pristine low original mile units, they aren't worth what we put into them.

the 64 SharkDaughter and I are restoring was purchased for $800. When we're done it'll be a $5k bug, but will have hundreds of hours of labor in it and several thousands of dollars.

No, for me it's the enjoyment we get out of the vehicles. Even my beater 68 Baja is just a fun car to work on, to drive, and to talk about. Whatever the car costs, I get more than that out of it in the joy of owning it.

With the exception of some of the most sought after, rarest of the rare vehicles. MOST Classic Cars will cost more to restore than are worth. Concours restorations of 21/23 Windows that are getting top dollar will easily equal, or surpass the amount invested in the restoration than they are worth.

Labor is the killer cost in all of it. If it takes "X" amount of labor for a restoration, it doesn't matter if its a $10k vehicle or a $100k vehicle. You may have less cost in parts for the $10k vehicle, but the labor is what it is. Doing 100% of the labor yourself isn't a guarantee, but a the best chance of having less invested than the vehicle's worth. Obviously quality of work, and parts dictates the value in the end.

On occasion, you will find those like enthusiasts that realize the significance of work done on a personal vehicle, and offer a purchase price worthy of the work done. Problem is, most still think you can get a "nice, running/driving" VW for less than $1000. Not many have any idea a stroker engine is $5k, and a trans to handle it is $2k.

Values of similar vehicles like 911's skyrocketing are leading those that can no longer afford them to lesser vehicles like Aircooled VW's. As long as there are opposing bidders raising auction prices on VW's, and those uneducated that think their vehicle is equal to those making record sales, prices will continue to go up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

I don't think many people who aspire to Porsche ownership end up looking at beetles. They usually start looking at adjacent vehicles, like BMW 2002s, Alfas, etc. Which although they have all gone up too, are not caught in an insane price bubble like the 911 is right now.

I think microbus prices are in a bubble too. It'll pop in a few more years.

The beetle will keep going up, they're still far too common to get caught in a collector price bubble. But they're also more attractive and accessible than most other vehicles of the same vintage, so I don't think they'll suffer as much in the long term as many other vintage cars that have a more niche following.

The internet has been great for blowing up prices on all sorts of collectibles. It just takes a few blogs or forum threads to hype up one not-rare but not-common item, and prices can spiral out of control within just a few months.

About a decade ago there was a big fad in camera collecting for Diana toy cameras. Even unboxed examples were selling for $100-$150 on ebay. It was the result of internet hype for an uncommon, but by no means rare, collectible. Now? You can find boxed examples all day long for $20. Ten years ago there were blogs, and even forums dedicated to these cameras. Now? Not so much. Nobody talks about them anymore, the hype has deflated, and so have the prices.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Prices will always go up, will your wages keep pace?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I don't think many people who aspire to Porsche ownership end up looking at beetles. They usually start looking at adjacent vehicles, like BMW 2002s, Alfas, etc. Which although they have all gone up too, are not caught in an insane price bubble like the 911 is right now.

I think microbus prices are in a bubble too. It'll pop in a few more years.

I’ve actually spoken to many Porsche enthusiasts that are interested in Aircooled Beetles. There’s a 912 at my work currently that the owner has collected some of each.

The Bus “bubble” has steadily grown at least in the last 5 years I’ve paid attention to auction prices. Everyone keeps mentioning this peak of Classic Car sales around 2008, but the Bus increases have happened after this. As silly as it sounds, $250k is on the LOW side of expendable cash most attendees have to play with at the higher end auctions where the Busses have been bringing top dollar.

How does the saying of “a rising tide raises all ships”? For each record price of a 23 Window, the value of a Vanagon goes up. For each record price of a Split Beetle, the value of a Superbeetle goes up.

calvinater wrote:
Prices will always go up, will your wages keep pace?

EXACTLY!

If you’ve been around the hobby for at least 20 years, you are realizing the demographic of “the Aircooled VW enthusiast” has changed drastically. I think it was over in the Bay forum where someone was talking about a small Westfalia group they were in. When it started, there were a couple dozen vehicles held together with duct tape figuring out what to repair to get them to the meet, and one/two show quality vehicles. Now, it’s the exact opposite. Most are show quality, and are discussing their next gas/propane heater install, or solar panel retrofit to power their laptop costing more than most had in their entire Bus at the beginning.

It’s turned into a lot of have, and have not at the events I attend.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Collector car prices fluctuate a lot over time. In the 1980's, prices climbed year after year for 1950's and 1960's exotics and sports cars, then tanked in the early 90's. Microbus prices will likely tumble when baby boomers get too old to drive/die off. There are plenty of people who will want those buses, but the number of people who can/are willing to pay silly prices for them will greatly diminish. And when this happens, the number of people who're silly enough to buy cars as "investments" will also stop paying silly prices.

Prices on a lot of collectible cars from the 40's and 50's already are stagnating, the number of people who grew up wanting them is going down. And most of these cars don't have the reputation, or the culture around them to sustain continued interest in younger buyers. 15 years ago, you might pay 20K for an excellent restored Nash Metropolitan. Currently, you might pay about the same dollar figure, despite inflation. And this is a car that has a cult following.

The beetle however, has the culture around it, the great numbers still in existence, and the availability of parts that it will likely continue to be popular. But prices will never jump up. I've been watching prices since the 1990s, creep up every year. But there has never been any wild increases, and likely never will be. I don't think the beetle will ever experience a bubble on account of its accessibility.

As for Porsche owners, I know many, and none of them are interested in beetles. Some even have a contemptuous attitude toward the car. But this may be because they're all longtime owners, not people who decided just now they want one, and found they're priced out of the market already.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Cars do not continually increase in value until the end of time. Look at the muscle car market, or even better, the Ford Model T market.

You can buy a perfectly restored Model T for like $10k, FAR less than the cost to build it. Why? Who wants a perfectly restored Model T these days? Most that did are long dead or are in nursing homes.

Cars values rise because the people that wanted them when they were young, finally have the disposable income to afford them once they get a solid career, kids are grown, etc. Then, they start to want to thin their belongings to retire, travel, get sick, etc. That's when prices start to fall.

The muscle car market, those guys are getting into their 70's now. That's why the values have dropped like a rock.

Eventually, VW owners will age out, and prices WILL fall.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

a model T isn't nearly as useful or 'endearing' as a beetle.

you can still get in a beetle and (if capable) drive it an hour(s) on the road as transportation or for fun..

no one did that with Model Ts since 1936
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Like mentioned earlier, if you grew up with a Bug it will be important to you. If you grew up after the Bug era, Bugs will mean little if anything to you. For instance, I have a relative who is HUGELY into Vettes. He runs the large local Vette club and has numerous high dollar Vettes. He's in his 70's. He recently purchased a car that he's been looking for and it isn't a Vette. It's a 1951 Chevy. Nothing special about a 1951 Chevy to any of us, but to him it's special because his first car was a 1951 Chevy. He's reliving his youth which is what many of us are doing with our Bugs. Once we die out the value and interest in Bugs will drop considerably.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

you can still get in a beetle and (if capable) drive it an hour(s) on the road as transportation or for fun..

You sure about that....?

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/lifestyle/2018/0...1807100119

Sure, a 100 year old car might not be as practical as a 50 year old one, but will owners of 100 year old Aircooled VW’s be going on tours in the future? Who has organized statewide/national weeklong tours for Aircooled VW’s in 2019?

Dwayne1m wrote:
.....He's reliving his youth which is what many of us are doing with our Bugs. Once we die out the value and interest in Bugs will drop considerably.

Everyone on my circle of enthusiasts, and the majority of show attendee’s I see are in their late 30’s to late 50’s, so I don’t see that happening for at least another 15-20 years.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

The model T is maybe not the best example, except for the very early cars, they have never been worth much. And the very early cars are still gaining value - the later more common 1920s cars aren't gaining anything at this point though.

That's all beside the point, because 1930's and 1940's cars are in the same boat for the most part despite being more driveable and practical. Prices just aren't going up. Except for the really rare stuff, the demand just isn't there - and cars from the 50s and 60s are going to experience the same thing in a decade or so.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Replace "model T" with "beetle" and "beetle" with "Camry".

Beetle's are still considered charming, but any car made in the last 20 years will simply blow a beetle away. Times change and things progress.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Saw a video on the news this morning about a big car show in LA. All the hoopla was about all the new electric vehicles. That's the future, and IMO if the Beetles are going to hang around someone will have to convert them to electric, give them a decent range, not the 80 most are claiming at this point in time, have heat and make them affordable. Otherwise in the museums and barns they go.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Saw a video on the news this morning about a big car show in LA. All the hoopla was about all the new electric vehicles. That's the future, and IMO if the Beetles are going to hang around someone will have to convert them to electric, give them a decent range, not the 80 most are claiming at this point in time, have heat and make them affordable. Otherwise in the museums and barns they go.

Tell that to GM that’s discontinuing the Volt in 2019, and the wingnuts from Tesla that have yet to make a profit....
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Will VW prices keep going up? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Tell that to GM that’s discontinuing the Volt in 2019, and the wingnuts from Tesla that have yet to make a profit....

Do you remember when VCRs and HD TVs came out? Quite expensive and only the rich had them. Over time everyone had a VCR and an HD TV because the price came down to earth, and now you won't find a TV that is not HD. If electric cars aren't the future why are all the manufacturers investing in them? As far as the Volt, remember Beta? Flip phones? I consider it growing pains. BTW, the Beetle will come back as all electric. JMO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: