Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

- One of the headlight adjusting screws had a small cone-shaped (I'm assuming) fiber washer on it. Seems like a good idea to help seal water out of the bucket, but I can't seem to find a reference to it or a part number anywhere. Is my google-fu failing me or are these not available? Anyone got a source for these and the fiber washers that are supposed to seal the screws that hold the fried-egg lenses in (or suitable substitutes)?

Did you look in the VW dealer parts manual?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

So you're telling me to RTFM? Laughing

Didn't figure "push harder" would be the answer though... Smile

Well just sitting on the manual does not seem to help! Very Happy

Could be the DPO used something then liquidish to seal those posts in the holes. Now that the sealant is hardened up, you need to press harder. Only other way is to pull from the outside and that is a sure way to bend the emblem up. Akin to using a rope around the bumper to pull the VW, BAD.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

- One of the headlight adjusting screws had a small cone-shaped (I'm assuming) fiber washer on it. Seems like a good idea to help seal water out of the bucket, but I can't seem to find a reference to it or a part number anywhere. Is my google-fu failing me or are these not available? Anyone got a source for these and the fiber washers that are supposed to seal the screws that hold the fried-egg lenses in (or suitable substitutes)?

Did you look in the VW dealer parts manual?

I actually did this time. The headlight one is 111941139, but...
"Your search - vw "111941139" gasket - did not match any documents."

And the parts manual doesn't list a gasket for the turns. So maybe the one that I saw a pic of was an add-on somewhere along the line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

So you're telling me to RTFM? Laughing

Didn't figure "push harder" would be the answer though... Smile

Well just sitting on the manual does not seem to help! Very Happy

Could be the DPO used something then liquidish to seal those posts in the holes. Now that the sealant is hardened up, you need to press harder. Only other way is to pull from the outside and that is a sure way to bend the emblem up. Akin to using a rope around the bumper to pull the VW, BAD.

Sitting on it? That's just silly. I was using as a pillow... I often forget that things like this might actually be in there.. I guess osmosis isn't working the way I'd hoped...

And I'm hoping they didn't effectively glue it in... I was hoping to polish behind it... may not be worth it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Not having any luck online finding a source for that CS screw sealing washer.

Might try nylon washers that should deform into the shape, at worst you will need to cut down the OD.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Sorry I should have posted this up for you. I ran out of time before.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A large Tye-Wrap head is exactly the right size.

In the morning I'll post up that headlight fiber seal thing. Yes they were on all the adjuster machine screws.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thanks BarryL. Are any of those OG or all the wire tie ends? Your's look about 1mm shorter and 1mm smaller in OD than mine. If that length is OG, I'll pull these out to shorten them to see if that makes any difference in the seal performance.

Oh - and if any of them are OG, are they threaded at all on the inside? Seems like they could be easily made to be captive so they don't roll under the bus (or worse) every time they need to be take out.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Are any of those OG or all the wire tie ends?

The pics with the rule are on an OG one.

Thompson2 wrote:
are they threaded at all on the inside?

Not threaded but when new were a honeymoon fit so once screwed into they stayed on the upper smoothed shank part.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
One of the headlight adjusting screws had a small cone-shaped (I'm assuming) fiber washer on it.

NOS headlights or just the screws came with the fiber washer. So did the rear ones on the oval size but they were red for some reason even though they went on the chrome. I don't know about the round tail light ones.

They turn into a cone and act as a glide and buffer to keep the slot from scratching the chrome and sorta keep out foreign matter from entering the ring.

Thompson2 wrote:
Anyone got a source for these

Try electronic parts supply places.

Thompson2 wrote:
Anyone got a source for... the fiber washers that are supposed to seal the screws that hold the fried-egg lenses in (or suitable substitutes)?

I don't recollect seeing any on the fried egg. Were there?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
One of the headlight adjusting screws had a small cone-shaped (I'm assuming) fiber washer on it.

NOS headlights or just the screws came with the fiber washer. So did the rear ones on the oval size but they were red for some reason even though they went on the chrome. I don't know about the round tail light ones.

They turn into a cone and act as a buffer to keep the slot from scratching the chrome and sorta keep out foreign matter from entering the ring.

Cool. I'll hit up Ace hardware to see if they've got something that will suffice. Those look like later adjusting screws? Mine don't have the slot/ring cut up near the head.

I also need to figure out why the WW repops don't sit right in the ring. Might have to give them a call.

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
Anyone got a source for these

Try electronic parts supply places.

I'll report back if I find something useful at Ace.

BarryL wrote:

Thompson2 wrote:
Anyone got a source for... the fiber washers that are supposed to seal the screws that hold the fried-egg lenses in (or suitable substitutes)?

I don't recollect seeing any on the fried egg. Were there?

And I thought I saw a post from Everett showing one, but I don't see it in the parts documentation. But it sure seems like they should have something to keep water out of the screw holes, especially since they're on the nose and would have rain blasting against them. I found some small orings that I'm using at the moment. Trying to keep the reflectors from rusting more than they already are.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Mine don't have the slot/ring cut up near the head.

So you don't have a little crimped washer to keep the adjuster from falling off the ring?

Thompson2 wrote:
I also need to figure out why the WW repops don't sit right in the ring. Might have to give them a call.

Before you had installed the ring did you try to lay it over the bucket lip without the rubber seal? Or could you try to lay it over it now without the seal? If it will go then it should go later with the seal unless something is in the way or the seal is too wrong.

I've used a few of the WW rings and they are a really accurate copy. Too bad they made them from steel.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

So you don't have a little crimped washer to keep the adjuster from falling off the ring?

That's correct. I'm pretty sure that's the way these came (from my Gallery browsing anyway). These have the large bail and not the small springs on the adjusting screws.

BarryL wrote:

Thompson2 wrote:

Before you had installed the ring did you try to lay it over the bucket lip without the rubber seal? Or could you try to lay it over it now without the seal? If it will go then it should go later with the seal unless something is in the way or the seal is too wrong.

I've used a few of the WW rings and they are a really accurate copy. Too bad they made them from steel.

Should have been more clear. I ordered repop adjusting screws and they don't sit right. The taper of the screw is either too long or the taper is just incorrect and so the head isn't flush with the ring. They also have no special features that make them anything but off-the-shelf hardware. The seals seem to be okay but need a bit more manpower to get the ring sealed onto them. I also want to try fitting the headlights without the seal at all to see how they go on.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

That's correct. I'm pretty sure that's the way these came (from my Gallery browsing anyway). These have the large bail and not the small springs on the adjusting screws.

Mine don't have springs on the screws but do have a rubber seal washer at the ring. Here's another person's photo of your kind:

Maybe the early ones didn't have the fiber washer but you said you found traces on yours.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Mine don't have springs on the screws but do have a rubber seal washer at the ring. Here's another person's photo of your kind:

Maybe the early ones didn't have the fiber washer but you said you found traces on yours.

Being oh-so-smart, I removed the adjusting screw without the washer to take a pic... but it looks different even from the ones pictured.

The WW screws do fit, but for some reason I haven't had time to dig into they aren't being pulled in by the bail... I'm sure both headlights need aiming, so I'm not too worried about it for now.

Oh - and I pulled one of the headlights to reinstall the adjusting screw and when I put it back in, the gap in the seal closed to almost zero. Looks like it just needs some time to take a bit of a set. I'll pull it again when I remake the mounting screw spacers and see if it closes completely.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Been working on sorting out the electrical around the fuse box and getting all of the exterior lights to function properly.

After cleaning everything up and wiring it all correctly, all seems well. Also discovered the most likely reason my ambulance fans don't work... they're disconnected. Looks like when they disconnected the steering lock switch they didn't hook it back up. If I'm lucky, that's all it is.

Should I plan on disassembling the switch for that as well? I haven't dug into what that one looks like so I don't know if it's possible / necessary.

Also found that the high-beam indicator is unhooked. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with that. The bulb checked out okay.

Next up is pulling the column lock and seeing if Gabe can work some magic on it. Someone had previously drilled out the pin and did a pretty messy job of it.... Steering wheel is off already. Getting the lock assembly off seems like it'll be a real treat...

Oh - and a stupid question on the turn signal switch / lever. Can I / should I pull the guts out and clean / relube those or just shoot a bunch of contact cleaner in? I looked at it for roughly 7 seconds last night, so maybe this will be obvious when I'm less tired...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

And another dumb question... the heater outlet under the dash - how much effort should it take to close/open? I can’t slide it up or rotate it either direction. I’m assuming it should be relatively easy, how should I lube it? Or I guess a better phrasing would be - what should I avoid when lubing it?

Talking about the piece on the right of this pic:
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

are you moving it with your hand? or with your foot? it does take a little effort to move it with your foot. I can imagine it being difficult by hand.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
are you moving it with your hand? or with your foot? it does take a little effort to move it with your foot. I can imagine it being difficult by hand.

I was using my hand, ass-u-me-ing that it was the correct way to do that, thought I saw something in the manual about it...

Worked like a charm! Still crunchy as hell but it moves, so I’ll take it.

Thanks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

You should be able to move it with your hand but not super easily.

I've sprayed a crunchy one down with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth before to loosen it up.
I'm not sure this was the best thing to use but it worked.
It took a little while for the PB Blaster stink to go away afterward
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Another dumb question... pulled my speedo out this evening to send it out for rework (DPO said the odometer stopped working for a while), and found that it’s dated 3-60. I’m assuming this means March 1960 build date...

What are the odds that this is original to this bus (I’m assuming 0.001%) or the one that got swapped in when the odometer failed (99.999%)?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 31

Jump to: