Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Chrome trim clips
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I recently had some real struggles with chrome trim and window seals for the front and rear windows.

My lovely 1970 had Cal style seals and they had to go. It took 3 different glass shops and a few different seals before the glass would finally go in. Done!

But -- they installed the clips and they do not exactly fit and they do not lie completely flat.

Should I buy new ones and try again or is this the best that aftermarket clips fit? The aluminum trip scratches easily, so I don't want to do anything if it's not going to be better.

Any tips? Ideas? Best way to pull the clips and install?

Many, many thanks. I'm 99% there. I can live with them as is, but would like them better.

Cheers --
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

I found the aftermarket clips were too thick and the wrong shape. This was a few years ago so someone might be able to recommend better ones now?
So I eventually found some good secondhand ones that were much better
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

Have you tried pushing down on it with a wooded block to see if you can flatten/form it to the strip?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

If the clips are not flat the most likely error is that the trim is probably not seated in the rubber quite right. The trim piece is just to make it all look finished. Installing clips wont fix the seating issue.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

I'll take a picture tomorrow -- maybe more obvious what is going on here.

Sounds like this is an issue for others too. I may have to live with a sub par result. But I hope not.

More tomorrow... it's too dark now.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

Idea
Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

I took a block of wood as described and bumped the clips flat and better over that gaps and it looks much better. That was certainly the solution. The trim scratches easily -- so be careful with it...

Thank you!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Chrome trim clips Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
I took a block of wood as described and bumped the clips flat and better over that gaps and it looks much better. That was certainly the solution. The trim scratches easily -- so be careful with it...

Thank you!

Glad it worked. I guess putting stretch seal(like you use for food) between the wood and trim would be helpful to others that try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: